Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Off-the-shelf functional roll bar?

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 May 2016, 09:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Off-the-shelf functional roll bar?

I've been reading that the sport bar in the convertible will collapse in a rollover.
Does anyone know of a functional off-the-shelf roll bar that will compliment or replace the sport bar?
I plan on putting my kids in the back often and I just want to make the car as safe as possible.
Old 23 May 2016, 09:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Off-the-shelf functional roll bar?

This is just me but I really had a hard time believing that is the case
You can read that the PT uses tons of oil---not true
you can read that they will not last much over 100,000 again not true
you can real on a lot of sites that the PT has a interference motor and a lot will actually argue it does ---again not true
The point is you can read a lot of stuff that is simply NOT TRUE

For Chrysler to build a convertible with a useless roll bar is just hard for me to accept

Its like Nitro always says SHOW ME SOME DATA if they don't had HARD PROOF then its [probably just some body's opinion bases on there opinion
Old 23 May 2016, 11:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

BUT, maybe the owner should look into something more substantial...

Ragtops escape roof-crush rules: NHTSA says convertibles can't share standards with fixed-roof vehicles | Autoweek

Chrysler's PT Cruiser has a "sport bar" positioned above the passenger compartment, but it is there to provide structural integrity, not rollover protection.
NitroPT likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 May 2016, 01:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Honestly I can only answer this my way so please only read the information and know it is sincere.

If you question any aspect of the safety and not satisfied with reports about impact and roll over testing of a vehicle you own and drive especially having to do with family, shop for another vehicle.

or...

If you want to improve impact and roll protection, look up shops that specialize by reputation build Race Track sanctioned and regulated certified roll bars, cages and harness bars.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 23 May 2016, 02:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Having one made is certainly an option but I'd like to shop for a pre-fab one if it already exists. It's not that I see the car as less safe than other convertibles but a functional roll bar would make me feel more comfortable.
Old 23 May 2016, 03:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

In the late 70's, Q-Kiss Racing and *Alston Engineering (*original name) both very well known chassis builders would often be asked about what is a functional factory roll bar. There answer... there isn't one!

A PT Cruiser was never made or intended for sport/spirited driving. On the convertible model PT Cruisers the weak area of the convertible is the center so having a factory roll bar is not require not will strengthen that area in a roll over. The regulations set by the Federal Government regarding roll bars are so little that many sanctioned race track and events for vehicle inspection will not accept factory roll bars having rollover protection in many categories above street stock.

I think even if you shop to have one custom made you may find anyone willing to do it for a PT Cruiser convertible.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 23 May 2016, 06:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

If the question was "Which would you pick to rollover in, a hard top or a convertible?", nobody wants to rollover in a convertible, that's true. But putting a roll bar in a convertible sort of misses the point of riding in one. It's like putting a roll bar on a motorcycle. A convertible makes a statement that you're a Big Time Sport, livin' large and devil may care. Seriously, if you drive at posted speeds when the kiddos are in the car, it's a million to one* that you're ever going to roll over. If you're pushing the limits on every curve, your kids shouldn't be in the car anyway.

*That's a million accidents before there's one roll over.

Last edited by 2step; 23 May 2016 at 06:05 pm.
Old 24 May 2016, 11:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

I've had Muscle cars, minivans, Harleys, and mopeds. At no point did I become a different person. I drive vehicles because I enjoy them or they fill a need, not based on impressing people. I find that vehicles bought for the purpose to make a statement are often false statements based on how a person wants to be seen with no real reflection on who they really are. The assumption that you have to drive reckless to be in an accident is also false. In many cases there is more than one car in an accident and there is usually only one car at fault. Besides, you may not have seen the way they cross 2 lanes at a time with no turn signal in Texas. LOL

Last edited by Jimmyess333; 24 May 2016 at 11:29 am.
Old 24 May 2016, 11:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I think you will be better served if you go with Nitro's posts. But I'm more worried about when they ride a school bus. Than a convertible. A rear end crash would be more common and dangerous. Bigger is always better. I'm a crash. Do you need to decide to get something you feel us safe or have something made. To my knowledge no prefab bars made.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 May 2016, 12:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My wife's "crazy uncle" can build a roll cage like no one I've seen. I'm sure he could easily build one for a PT Cruiser that would not only bare the weight of the PT, but also the log truck that ran over it.

And cool thing is that you wouldn't need lower springs. Since his rolls cage would weigh about twice as much as a PT Cruiser, it would end up with a very low "aggressive" stance.

While this is sort of joke. It's really not. My wife's crazy uncle has done many crazy things like this. Today, some would call this man insane. But to those from our town, he holds a place of honor and always will.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 24 May 2016 at 12:33 pm.