Advertisements
Convertible chassis stiffening - foam

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Sep 2016, 04:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Convertible chassis stiffening - foam

Hello!

As my PT convertible´s “scuttle shake” drives me crazy, I´ve been looking for a solution. You know…. the chassis is as “chewing gum”.

I see there is a product named “structural foam”. Chassis voids are filled with this product and it seems that the chassis is stiffened.

Has anyone tried to make a chassis filled with structural foam?

Best regards.
Old 26 Sep 2016, 11:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Convertible chassis stiffening - foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_DESCAPOTABLE View Post
Hello!

As my PT convertible´s “scuttle shake” drives me crazy, I´ve been looking for a solution. You know…. the chassis is as “chewing gum”.

I see there is a product named “structural foam”. Chassis voids are filled with this product and it seems that the chassis is stiffened.

Has anyone tried to make a chassis filled with structural foam?

Best regards.
Foam will not stiffen your chassy. It will rot it out for you. Your chassis the can't be flexing much. Nothing you could feel. I would suggest to check you components. Bushings bell crank, tie rods, ball joints, end links, even the bushings for the sway bar. These all make noise when worn out. Rear shocks for bounce. Some have had front struts need replaced. Motor mounts makes it feel clunky and loose to. Forget the foam.
SPLNeon likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Sep 2016, 11:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hello.
Thank you for your reply.
I can understand foam is not a solution. All parts you said me were checked; even shock absorbers are new. There is not anything wrong.
It has a pronunced "scuttle shake". Wind screen moves left and right when I take rought pavement....( even steering wheel ) And some reviews said the same.

look:

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Cabrio range | GoAuto - Our Opinion

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/review-arc...o-limited-auto

Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible Buying Guide

Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible review | Autocar

2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser | Ingersoll

..... search in google "pt cruiser scuttle shake". There is a lot of similar reviews.

Thank you for your help.

ps. forgive my poor English.
Old 27 Sep 2016, 05:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Heh, heh, yes my 05 GT conv has about as much 'scuttle shake' as the 57 Chevy Conv I once had.

Handy_Cruiser likes this.
http://www.carnut.com/
FB https://www.facebook.com/george.c.mcdowell
My 2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible Project

Old 27 Sep 2016, 06:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Reading the above, it sounds like Chrysler didn't do a decent job of figuring out how to strengthening the body when the roof is removed. They did add the basket handle but apparently that isn't enough.

On the C4 Corvettes, General Motors ran into the same problem with the verts but someone came up with an "X" frame for the undercarriage and that seems to solve the shake.

Maybe someone could come up with something similar for the PT vert.

Corvette C4 "X" frame.

Now for the chassis that came out before the fix was put on, an aftermarket "X" frame can be had to add to the undercarriage.

Handy_Cruiser and Gkon like this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 27 Sep 2016 at 06:20 pm.
Old 27 Sep 2016, 09:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This could be accomplished right off the k frame rear mounting bolts. Either connect at the mount for the rear axle or the frame rail. Take in account what obstacles that need to be worked around.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Sep 2016, 02:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hello.

I´ve been searching for an X frame for PT Cruiser. There is nothing at all. Of course, unthinkable in Spain... in Spain one PT Cruiser convertible is a rarity. I only see 2 PT convertible in my life: Mine and 2 years ago one beige in road. And too many people said never see one.

Do you know any one x-frame to buy??

Regards.
Old 30 Sep 2016, 08:12 am
Senior Cruiser

Might be better off making one. Subframe braces are a fairly common DIY deal for old muscle cars. Rather than an "X" those just run front to rear connecting the subframes. Those cars are RWD and have to worry about the driveshaft. On a PT you only have to worry about the exhaust and some other more minor stuff.

I wouldn't actually do-it-myself, but you probably have a race shop that welds up chassis and cages. As long as they have something to insure that the frame is straight and are reputable it might be the way to go. When you consider the cost of shipping something like an "X-frame" to Spain, it might actually be cost effective to have a shop whip something custom up.
Old 30 Sep 2016, 08:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There is no product available. Custom or none. That being said. In my opinion some 1" tubing should be adequate to do the job.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Sep 2016, 02:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My 2007 convertible is just as solid as either of my previous PT wagons. I've notice none of this problem at all. To be exact, this convertible is the best riding of all there PT's I've own.

Is the OP really sure he doesn't just have bad control arm bushings?