Advertisements
Window linkage broke???

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GtPt05

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Dec 2016, 10:18 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Window linkage broke???

So I was going to drive my car this morning, there was a light frost, apparently my window was frozen just enough to break something when the smart window tried to function. Other windows still function, and you can see a very slight dim in the interior lights when you push the down button for the passenger window, so it seems the motor is running, but not attached to anything. Is there a common weak link in the system? I just had my hardtop parts car apart that far, but from other posts on here, I understand the window track system is different on the convertible. Anybody deal with this before? Parts available still? Probably take both panels off and replace the stock speakers while I'm at it.
Old 08 Dec 2016, 01:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Window linkage broke???

Geeze, no help here, but sure don't like the idea that the windows on a conv could be that fragile.

3 of my biggest gripes with Conv design is the smart window function, the multifunction switch, and the cam belt.

Hope your's is just a clip or something that fell off, but I wonder if there is a plastic component involved in the mechanism somewhere.

Heh, heh, you don't want to hear me gripe about having power windows in the first place instead of manual roll down.

Will be waiting with anticipation to see the solution.
http://www.carnut.com/
FB https://www.facebook.com/george.c.mcdowell
My 2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible Project

Old 09 Dec 2016, 11:19 am
Regular Cruiser

Run a very thin plastic blade or credit card between the glass and the rubber for the full length of the seal on the outer glass surface starting at the back of the door then try it again. The internal linkage is very sturdy compared to the cable drives on the regular cars. It may still be frozen which is why the motor doesn't move the glass. If the lights dim, the motor is trying to draw power which I would say is a good thing, better than the alternative at least.
Old 09 Dec 2016, 11:41 am
Cool Cruiser

I messed with it yesterday evening when it was in the 50's. It's definitely disconnected inside. Light only dims slightly, as the motor is running with no load on it.
Old 09 Dec 2016, 12:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

I will repeat the comment I sent to a previous post of yours on the subject where I described the arrangement:

On an 05 convertible, the smart module for the front windows is physically connected to the drivers side window lift motor. I believe it operates both sides. (update, it looks like each side module operates that one individual side) There is also a module in the passenger side door, but it is different and I never actually eyeballed it.
The mechanical linkage on a convertible is the old car style where there are two long metal arms that form an X and pivot on a center pin with a giant toothed metal gear that engages a small gear on the motor. This is completely different from the wagon which has the single metal track with two cables that go to the motor drive.
The 06 and up wiring diagram shows it is all connected to the CanBus in some manner so the wiring and logic would likely be different, but the hardware is probably very similar.
I would guess the rear windows would also be unique compared to the wagons, but likely have some sort of cable drive.

Beyond that, I thought I would look on ebay for a unit for sale which is a sneaky way to find a picture of something. There is actually one for sale for $50 right now, but they only show pictures of the actual wrecked car. There are a lot of pictures of the rear window units on ebay, and as expected they are special and have a cable drive. Also no pictures on Google inages, but the mechanism is fairly simple once you get the door panel off.

There are not a lot of plastic pieces to break in the front window linkage. It is possible the motor torqued out in some way where it pushed itself out of place and the gears do not engage any more. I am guessing the only source of parts would be from a used unit, but yours may just need to be shoved back into place. If you get it exposed you can see what you have and what you need.
Old 09 Dec 2016, 12:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the input... I will of course be digging into it, probably this weekend, but I had hoped there was a common issue with these so I could take a chance and get parts on their way in the meantime. It does sound like a pretty solid setup... I'll report back with my discovery.
Old 09 Dec 2016, 02:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

P.S.- I do remember us discussing the smart window function on someone's thread, but I had forgotten that you described the window track setup on that thread. If there is any reasonable line of sight, I'll try to get pictures while I'm in there.
Old 10 Dec 2016, 01:57 am
Regular Cruiser

I found an adequate sketch of what Chrysler calls a smartmodule regulator and the door attachment in the 05 manual. I captured it and added it to my photobucket account. The written instructions were not that useful, but the image lets you see what the arrangement is. There are two tracks that contain sliding plastic blocks. The bottom track is bolted to the door and the top track goes up and down with the window. The motor sprocket is very small and the sector gear it drives is quite large and is made of thin plate.

nomad327's Library | Photobucket
Old 16 Dec 2016, 06:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

So I finally had a chance to arrange my shop so that I could get the car in. Just to be safe, I took a plastic flat blade along the seal, this time on the drivers side, before I tried to open the door. Now I only pushed it down in maybe a half inch or so while running it up along the seal, but when I slowly pushed the door handle button in (being cautious on this window) the window tried to move, but was again frozen. I let off the button quickly enough that it didn't break that side as well. Maybe I needed to push the blade down in further to get it free, but my point is, those of you with convertibles, be very cautious when opening doors below freezing temps. Hopefully it is not your only vehicle in the winter!
Old 18 Dec 2016, 06:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

So, my window is fixed. After sitting in the garage a few days thawing out, I got ready to tear into it. The window was still in the slightly down position from the smart window function. I opened the door, turned the key on and waited for all bells to stop so I could hear if the motor was running. Remember, when I initially had the problem, the window would not try to move at all, and when I pushed the window button, the interior light would slightly dim, leading me to believe that the motor was running, but was not connected to the linkage. So I pushed the down button, and the window went down. Put it back up, closed the door, smart window function was working again.

After everything I had read about issues with the smart function, I had not come across this one. The only thing I can figure is that there is an overload relay that disables it temporarily. So, I didn't have to pull the panel and dig into it... but because I thought I was going to need to... I already bought new door speakers. So... looks like I'll be pulling the doors open anyway. At least it will be for good reason!
Carnut likes this.