PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 Convertible-What Problems Should I Expect?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By PeteyFan
  • 1 Post By VsandFords

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jan 2017, 08:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 Convertible-What Problems Should I Expect?

Bought Aug. 2004, when they came out "to put them on the road so people would want them". NEVER had any problems. What should I be expecting for repairs now? 136K mi. Drove NH to AZ 2005. Towed UHaul 8x5 trailer from AZ to FL 2014. I LOVE my Petey, but looking to buy a 200 as second car (have owned Prelude, Sable, etc. but they ALWAYS took money for repairs). Reading the forums, should I replace timing belt NOW, instead of waiting for problems? Anything else I should do right away? I want to keep him as long as possible (at least as a beach rat, because we can drive on the beach here), and I may be missing something. It's a standard, my preference for any car.
rckstein and Carnut like this.

Last edited by PeteyFan; 03 Jan 2017 at 09:06 pm.
Old 03 Jan 2017, 08:54 pm
Banned

Default Re: 2005 Convertible-What Problems Should I Expect?

Welcome to the forum

Please post some pics of your PT when you get a chance
Old 04 Jan 2017, 07:33 am
Veteran Cruiser

Welcome to the forum. If you're on the original timing belt, then, yes, you should get it changed. Recommended interval is 100,000 miles. The choice is yours. The only other thing that might come us as common will be the front suspension. Lower control arms and sway bar end links and bushings are common wear items on the PT's. As far as a 200 for a replacement, I can HIGHLY recommend a 2013 model. They're built on the old Sebring platform and I love mine. I do regular maintenance as suggested by the owners manual and have had ZERO problems since brand new. It now has 134,000 miles on it. I got the 2.4 with the six speed automatic and average about 31 mpg around Lake Wales/ Orlando. Lots of stop and go traffic. Out on the interstate, 34-35 at 70-75 mph.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 04 Jan 2017, 08:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

I concur with Chuzz on the likely problems. Here's my list as a summary:

All PT's:

1. Spark plug wires (tend to break down after a while and cause rough idle)
2. Timing belt (risk of breaking increases over 100K miles)
3. Rear bushings on front lower control arms (bad design - Moog makes a redesigned replacement)
4. Front sway bar links (like on most cars)
5. Radiator cooling fan (#1 cause of head gasket failure and subsequent overheating)
6. Camshaft sensor (should go into "Limp home" mode during failure on a 2005 PT)
7. PVC valve, PVC valve hose and crankcase vent hose on NA PT. (hoses get brittle after a while)
8. Intermediate CV shaft carrier bearing failure (turbo models only)

Items specific to the PT convertible:

1. Convertible top breakdown over time (same as other convertibles)
2. Clogged drain tubes in A-pillars and/or where top folds down to.
3. Hydraulic pump failure (same frequency as other convertibles)
4. Grounding problem with truck lid. (fairly common - causes third brake light and power trunk latch not to work)

Old 04 Jan 2017, 09:52 am
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum. I don't have a vert or 200 so, no help from me today. Maybe tomorrow.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 04 Jan 2017, 08:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you guys so much for the advice. I am printing to take to my mechanic (BEST guy here - always swamped, and does only what is really needed - $32 to fix shifter problem last year, not $300 Chrysler "replace all cables" advice). Will do timing belt ASAP.
Spark plug wires replaced few yrs. ago (considered this normal maintenance at the time?), and wiring to trunk replaced (blamed by Tucson dealer on rodents).
Bushings, sway bar links, radiator cooling fan, camshaft sensor, PVC stuff are beyond my very limited knowledge, so will rely on mechanic?
Only current problem is radio/clock stutter (on, then off) - no big deal, unless you think it means a bigger electrical issue.
Thanks for the help - Dad died few mos. ago - he would know all this stuff to help me.
Old 04 Jan 2017, 08:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Chuzz,
Forgot to mention thanks re the 200. I am looking for one as a 2nd car, and am only looking at 2012-2014 (I just can't let go of my PT). Is there a difference in these 3 years?
Old 04 Jan 2017, 08:58 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyFan View Post
Thank you guys so much for the advice. I am printing to take to my mechanic (BEST guy here - always swamped, and does only what is really needed - $32 to fix shifter problem last year, not $300 Chrysler "replace all cables" advice). Will do timing belt ASAP.
Spark plug wires replaced few yrs. ago (considered this normal maintenance at the time?), and wiring to trunk replaced (blamed by Tucson dealer on rodents).
Bushings, sway bar links, radiator cooling fan, camshaft sensor, PVC stuff are beyond my very limited knowledge, so will rely on mechanic?
Only current problem is radio/clock stutter (on, then off) - no big deal, unless you think it means a bigger electrical issue.
Thanks for the help - Dad died few mos. ago - he would know all this stuff to help me.
Sorry for your loss, both of my parents are gone now, you just think they will always be there, then one day, they're gone.

While you're having the area opened up, you should replace: timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idler pulley, cam seals, crank seal, center motor mount.

Last edited by rckstein; 04 Jan 2017 at 09:17 pm.
Old 04 Jan 2017, 09:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, rckstein,
Printing this advice to add for mechanic - I get it - once it's apart, do what is needed. First car I ever had with such a cramped, compact engine! Sorry for your losses also. Mom passed a while ago, but my dad was always my rock. I am a technical person, but always relied on Dad for car stuff.