Advertisements
Convertible beltline chrome

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2017, 04:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Convertible beltline chrome

Hey guys (and gals),

My '06 is starting to show it's age a little and I was wondering if anybody knew where i can find a set of chrome beltline moldings. When I bought the car in '09 they were very popular and available but pricey so I never picked them up. Now my rubber moldings are looking kinda rough and I thought this might do the trick to cover them up. An extensive google search has produced nada.

Thanks

Santa's Sleigh - 2006 Touring Edition, Chrome Door Spears, Chrome Door Handle and Trunk Cups, 1950's Chrysler Grille Emblem, Engine Modesty Cover, Pin Striped Manifold, Chrome Washer Covers, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Gas Door, K&N Drop-in Filter, Chrome Exhaust Extention.

Old 14 Sep 2017, 09:46 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Convertible beltline chrome

If you are referring to the ones that go just below the windows and top, I haven't been able to locate them either. Wish I had been able to buy more of these things eight years ago when everything was plentiful...
Old 14 Sep 2017, 11:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Same here.

A few months ago, I decide to look into getting one. They had been around a $180 a set and I'd like the look of my PT with the original black trim. But once I added the new hood and stuff, I decide the chrome might look best. But sadly, there were no longer any to be had that I could find.

If someone does find a supply, please post it here so we will all know.

PS: While this isn't a convertible top trim kit, here's something very rare for sale for a PT Vert. The seller appears to have three of them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUGGAGE-RACK...NZsAtq&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 14 Sep 2017 at 11:48 am.
Old 14 Sep 2017, 11:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Is this what you're looking for:

It's still listed on their website, now whether it's still available is another issue:

Convertible Door / Body Top Chrome Set Cruiser Motorsports

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 14 Sep 2017, 12:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Is this what you're looking for:

It's still listed on their website, now whether it's still available is another issue:

Convertible Door / Body Top Chrome Set Cruiser Motorsports

I believe that one is just an old website that needs updating. When I called them before, much of that stuff wasn't available. And that was over two years ago. The chrome kit shows up on at least one UK and Russian website too. I figure those are old ads as well.

PS: Whoever that guy is that runs Cruiser Motosport used to be active here, if I remember right. He might be a good one to contact to see if he can find a vert chrome kit. I figure if anyone could, he can. Of course, I'm sure he'd want the $300+ list price for it if he did.

PPS: Also, I just found THIS while looking. I offered it first to CREWZIN. But he already has a very nice customized bezel. This has got to be super rare at this point:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PT-Cruiser-C...lZol-I&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 14 Sep 2017 at 12:32 pm.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 10:07 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Same here.

A few months ago, I decide to look into getting one. They had been around a $180 a set and I'd like the look of my PT with the original black trim. But once I added the new hood and stuff, I decide the chrome might look best. But sadly, there were no longer any to be had that I could find.

If someone does find a supply, please post it here so we will all know.

PS: While this isn't a convertible top trim kit, here's something very rare for sale for a PT Vert. The seller appears to have three of them.

LUGGAGE RACK CHRYSLER PT CRUISER CONVERTIBLE BOOT CARRIER BLACK | NEW | eBay
I have a Mopar accessory luggage rack that is hitch mounted - kind of forgot about it until I saw this post. It was in the PT Cruiser Mopar accessory catalog and was a $495 option. I took the hitch off when I switched to the rollpan. I should put it up for sale - it's a nice piece for someone...

Looks like this:

Old 19 Sep 2017, 11:09 am
Cool Cruiser

When I first got the convertible the upper trim was in rough shape and I also searched for the covers. I still see them available at (call first)

PT Cruiser Cabrio/Convertible accessories

The covers for the spears was also on my wish list

Both items were very pricey and the Irish guilt set in so no purchase.

I did however, create my own using Cowles trim. It did come out quite well and has been holding up well here in NY. It gives a nice "rake angle" of the car following the contours of the convertible body.

[IMG]
[/IMG]

[IMG]
[/IMG]

2008 Convertible Turbo -lite
2007 Touring N/A Boneyard
Old 19 Sep 2017, 02:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny7627 View Post
When I first got the convertible the upper trim was in rough shape and I also searched for the covers. I still see them available at (call first)

PT Cruiser Cabrio/Convertible accessories

The covers for the spears was also on my wish list

Both items were very pricey and the Irish guilt set in so no purchase.

I did however, create my own using Cowles trim. It did come out quite well and has been holding up well here in NY. It gives a nice "rake angle" of the car following the contours of the convertible body.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...icture7393.jpg

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...icture7394.jpg
Hey Danny,

I'd be very interested to see how you made your convertible trim out of Cowles trim. Which roll did you buy? And can you show some close ups with maybe some How-to tips?
Old 19 Sep 2017, 08:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hi Handy,

First off, I have to admit I don't remember if it was 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch trim.

First clean the trim and spears with rubbing alcohol.

On the upper trim/ weather stripping belt line, I started on the doors. I started on the bottom layering one strip at a time using THREE chrome trim strips cutting to length following the contours of the weather stripping from under the mirror to the edge of the door. They lined up perfectly and three equaled the width of the trim with no cutting

Same technique with the rear quarter with the exception that as the molding widened at certain point I needed four strips for a small portion and trimmed it down as I continued around. The best tool for me was a heavy duty sharp scissors

In the back also three strips across the molding to match the look around the car.

You can also cap the ends of the with a piece which you can cut to cover the slight differences in each length of the strips which is inevitable using the hand and eye technique

Spears:

Same with the exception that I started for the top down layering the strips. I did not cover the bottom of the spears. I went just under where the contour of the spear faces down underneath.

For the ends of each trim piece I added a little extra 3M Emblem and Trim Adhesive. Thus far, all remains intact and looking sharp.

I would advise to use the Cowles Trim as the double sided tape is reliable and the chrome finish hold up very well

PS Where did you get that red Turbo emblem. I want one! lol

[[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Carnut likes this.

2008 Convertible Turbo -lite
2007 Touring N/A Boneyard
Old 19 Sep 2017, 09:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny7627 View Post

...PS Where did you get that red Turbo emblem. I want one! lol
Thanks for those instructions. I may give that a try but I'm usually not that good with that kind of stuff. You did a LOT of work there and it looks very good.

You can find my turbo emblems on eBay by searching for "Red Aluminum Turbo Emblem". When I got mine, I found a US seller. However, when I went back to get a second set for spares, he sent the wrong ones and then quit offering them.

Nowadays, they all come on a very slow boat straight from the good folks in communist China. You can get them for $2.99 with delivery by December 27th. Or you can pay around $12.00 and get them by the end of next month. There's other prices in between.

Now looking at them, I think I'm going for a couple of spares for $2.99. Then if a need one after the first of next year, I'll have it.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...p2045573.m1684

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 19 Sep 2017 at 09:59 pm.