PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
An old love rekindled (Warning: Long post. Grab a cuppa Joe before reading)

Like Tree12Likes
  • 10 Post By SantaGuy
  • 1 Post By SantaGuy
  • 1 Post By SantaGuy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Nov 2017, 03:34 am
Cool Cruiser

Default An old love rekindled (Warning: Long post. Grab a cuppa Joe before reading)

In 2009 I started looking for a new to me ragtop. I was debating between a Mustang and a PT.

I really loved the PT when it came out in 2001 but I am a convertible kinda guy and just couldn't see myself replacing my 1996 Mustang ragtop with a 4 door sedan. But my love grew when I became a Chrysler Service Manager and got a PT as a company car. The job didn't last but my interest in PT's did.

In 2005 Chrysler introduced the PT Convertible and .... I thought it was ugly. I mean a "roll bar" in a car that was supposed to look like a '30's cabriolet? Really? But in time it grew on me.

In 2006 I started portraying The Jolly Ol' Elf and went to a Santa convention/school in Branson, MO. One of the Santas there had a Red PT 'Vert with a large decal of Santa in his sleigh being pulled by the reindeer running down the side. I thought the decal was a little much (I'm a much more subtle kind of guy) but also thought "The PT kinda looks like a sleigh". Money being what it was I put that thought on hold.

Fast forward to 2009. My circumstances changed a little and I decided it was time to start looking at convertibles again. Since I was three years into Santa portrayal I decided I needed a red one. (Duh!)

It was also time to sell my wife's Explorer and the gas guzzler incentive was in full force so I started out looking at new cars. First a Mustang. Ouch! How much did you say? $$$$$ Next a VW Beetle. Cute but not really me. So after the sticker shock I started looking used.

I started looking for red Mustangs and then Cruisers. Every Mustang I found anywhere close to my price range had a bazillion miles on it and there seemed to be no red Cruisers in the area. So I gave up. But before I did I set an alert on CarMax.com.

In August I stumbled on a PT at CarMax in Winston Salem about 30 miles from the house. I had wanted a GT and this one was a Touring Edition BUT it had 4500 miles on it. A 2006 with 2500 miles?? No way! So I called. Yes it did indeed have 4500 miles. So off I went. I told my wife I was going to look at a Re PT and she said, "No, you are going to buy a red PT." She was right.

August 13, 2009. 13 is my lucky number. I got to the lot and the Cruiser was in ... drumroll... Slot 13. It was about $2000 more than I wanted to spend but she was brand new! I told the salesman I was going to buy but probably should drive it first anyway.

This shot is from 2010 after I added some subtle mods to her. I named her Patti but everyone called her "Santa's Sleigh" or just "the Sleigh".

Time rolled on and I always enjoyed keeping her clean and maintaining her properly but she kind of lost her luster. What was 4500 miles became 125000 miles. A lot of memories. Then this year happened.

In getting ready for Santa season I started taking a close look at wear and tear. Two things really stood out. The window beltline rubber was really worn and cracking.

So I found a chrome kit in the UK and ordered it.

Before

After

Wow! What a difference.

Next the chrome cladding on the wheels were flaking. All four.

Now I am not made of money but my Santa season provides fairly well so I decided on an old school look and went with these American Racing Torque Thrusts.

The long and the short of it is that I am really excited by the change in Patti. And I think I'm in love again. She has that old school hot rod look I've always liked.

As you can see my PT is an important part of my Santa persona. Here are the two loves of my life.

Thanks for reading. I hope you have a Joyous Holiday season.

Santa's Sleigh - 2006 Touring Edition, Chrome Door Spears, Chrome Door Handle and Trunk Cups, 1950's Chrysler Grille Emblem, Engine Modesty Cover, Pin Striped Manifold, Chrome Washer Covers, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Gas Door, K&N Drop-in Filter, Chrome Exhaust Extention.

Old 12 Nov 2017, 07:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: An old love rekindled (Warning: Long post. Grab a cuppa Joe before reading)

Very nice 'vert

What is and where did you get the Chrysler emblem on the lower grille? That looks nice tucked in there

Wishing you many more Santa Seasons in your 'vert, with your other love by your side

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 14 Nov 2017, 02:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: An old love rekindled (Warning: Long post. Grab a cuppa Joe before reading)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Very nice 'vert

What is and where did you get the Chrysler emblem on the lower grille? That looks nice tucked in there

Wishing you many more Santa Seasons in your 'vert, with your other love by your side
I bought it from a PT friend. He was using it on his modesty cover. It is from a 1950's era Chrysler. I get complements all the time so thanks.
rckstein likes this.

Santa's Sleigh - 2006 Touring Edition, Chrome Door Spears, Chrome Door Handle and Trunk Cups, 1950's Chrysler Grille Emblem, Engine Modesty Cover, Pin Striped Manifold, Chrome Washer Covers, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Gas Door, K&N Drop-in Filter, Chrome Exhaust Extention.

Old 14 Nov 2017, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaGuy View Post
I bought it from a PT friend. He was using it on his modesty cover. It is from a 1950's era Chrysler. I get complements all the time so thanks.
I put a Chrysler script emblem on the rear hatch from a mid-70's Newport, it was NOS, had never been placed on a vehicle.

I would like to find one like yours for the front grille, but would need to find one larger to look right.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 14 Nov 2017, 03:36 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

santa, all i want for christmas this year, is a 1996 mustang convertible.

Old 14 Nov 2017, 04:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I want a sexy Misses Santa outfit from my sweetie like Santaguy got for his.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 07:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I want a sexy Misses Santa outfit from my sweetie like Santaguy got for his.
Holyclothing.com
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Old 15 Nov 2017, 07:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: An old love rekindled (Warning: Long post. Grab a cuppa Joe before reading)

Awesome story! Are those 16" wheels??
Old Today, 12:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
Awesome story! Are those 16" wheels??
Yes. I thought about going to 17s but had just bought tires a couple months ago.