PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help Handy Choose Some New Seats for His PT Vert!

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Dec 2017, 08:52 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Help Handy Choose Some New Seats for His PT Vert!

Todd. Using the word ""SPORTINESS" in reference to any PT Cruiser "Convertible" is in itself the reason for it's sportiness.. It's sporty because it's a convertible, and it's not any less sporty because of those excellent cloth seats you've cleaned up so nicely.

My sons Pricie and Steve both have 05 PT Cruiser Convertibles as does my brother Scott who has an 06 Vert. In each case their PT Verts do have original leather seats. Taking this seriously, I polled them this morning and they all feel the leather seats don't make 'em any sportier. Their PTs are sporty because they're "Convertibles"! In fact they all agree, in the summer, the leather seats are much hotter to sit on with the top down.

As far as those butt grabbing custom seats you'd like to put in, I had a set in my Baha Bug VW. They were great for off road runs to keep me from rolling out of the car but for comfort on a grocery run or on a long run on the interstate they just created blisters on my butt. Albeit, it has to do with the size of the butt. They were hard to climb into too! I mean, "they were a pain in the butt"!

I lucked out and found a set of pristine replacement leather seats for SOOO BIG out of and 01 PT for $153.00 at a pull n pay salvage yard.

Here's the way to save big bucks if you have to do it. I'd suggest being patient and scope the yards for a find like I turned up. Only from a convertible. You might find one good seat in one wreck and another to match in another. It's all in the hunt. Meanwhile put the look out for someone who has a set of "sporty" leather Vert seats who thinks theirs are too hot and willing to trade for your nice cool cloth seats.

My find didn't happen over night. I admit, I was obsessed about changing my seats because of a bad repair on my passenger seat that I couldn't stand. (The grain on the replacement piece didn't perfectly match) I was considering a set of replacement leather seat upholstery that would have put me back those "big bucks". Thehoghunter now has SOOO BIG's original seats in his PT and he's very happy with them, repair and all. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! But please, if you do, please replace the back seat to match at the same time. If just to satisfy my artistic need to keep all the seats matching.

IMG_1621 (480x640).jpg

Happy PTin', ptprice
Handy_Cruiser and Carnut like this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats W/ Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers and Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 04 Dec 2017 at 09:16 am.
Old 04 Dec 2017, 09:53 am
Cool Cruiser

Have you seen this? This is a GREAT deal! If I did not have leather seats in the convertible already, I would be getting these. Bargain price!

Shop for an installer and see if it comes within or close to your budget.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-KATZKIN...5Vd1QN&vxp=mtr

[IMG][/IMG]

2008 Convertible Turbo -lite
2007 Touring N/A Boneyard
Old 04 Dec 2017, 11:34 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny7627 View Post
Have you seen this? This is a GREAT deal! If I did not have leather seats in the convertible already, I would be getting these. Bargain price!

Shop for an installer and see if it comes within or close to your budget.

Being a natural leather color they'd look good in just about any interior. I just checked this replacement upholstery out on the on the internet. When I priced it out, this Katzkin brand and type of leather replacement upholster is listed at $1700 installed over in an Orlando shop. If you deduct the $155 asked in the add there's a wiggle room of well over $1500 for installation. Surely it's not going to cost over $1500 to install them so this looks like a great deal. Conversely the installation looks like a "Handy" job for Todd. ptprice

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-KATZKIN...5Vd1QN&vxp=mtr

[IMG][/IMG]
Happy PTin', ptprice
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats W/ Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers and Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 05 Dec 2017 at 07:43 am.
Old 04 Dec 2017, 09:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Well now some unsolicited commentary, I've been placing my nigh on to 70yr old backside in numerous various and sundry automotive seats over the years.

My experience has ranged from the good to the bad and to the ugly.

The worst bucket type seat I have ever experienced is the one in my 50yr old 67 Dodge Charger. Absolutely no support whatever, just flat vinyl low and uncomfortable. I almost cringe every time I get in to drive it and feel what I have to endure along with the Hurst 4spd Shifter on the floor.

Why have I endured such discomfort? Well, I'm a Resto-Rodder or Resto-Modder heavy on the Resto. So the darn seats stay.

Heh, heh, back in 91 my lady friend at the time went out and bought a new Olds Calais coupe while I went and bought a new 91 Pontiac Grand Am GT Coupe. The difference in seats was night and day.

Her Calais seats were some of the most comfortable I've ever sat in, pretty sure they were an Olds version of a Recarro seat at the time.

Now my Grand Am 'seats' seemed to be like sitting on an apple basket with a washboard back. Real close to my most uncomfortable on the list.

Close to the top of my most comfortable seats were 70 Dodge Challenger buckets in my Hot Rod Model A coupe. Why I never put a set in my Dodge Charger I'll never know.

So now after all these years and all the seats my backside has experienced the all time best bucket seat I've found is the PT Cruiser Seats that came with my 02 PT. Wasn't really aware what they would be like when I ordered because I had never sat in any before it showed up at the dealers, but after several long trips and 16 yrs or so, they still hold up as the most comfortable and supportive for me. This goes for my 05 PT Convertible seats as well.

Heh, heh, I have mused so often of putting a set of them in my Dodge Gharger and I did put a set in my 40 Ford for couple years before I sold it.

So I'm really sold on Gen1 PT Cruiser Bucket Seats.
http://www.carnut.com/
FB https://www.facebook.com/george.c.mcdowell
My 2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible Project

Old 05 Dec 2017, 09:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
I would leave the seats alone. ........................ very out of place looking seats. I would point and laugh at a pt with those. Any of them.

I recommend you do what your good at and scout the yards for something that would look at home in there.
The seats pictured would be my choice but never in a PT Cruiser and not for larger humans.
I installed the ones I had in my 280ZX which were Corbeau not fixed Racing into my Mazda truck which would be much like a PT Vert and let me tell you going spending an afternoon doing the usual daily driving I was ready to throw them out the window and drive on a pillow and milk crate.

If someone has a car that really can handle than these type of seat are a good tool to driving hard and fast other wise they are all for looks of RACE of which a PT Vert is not.

My advise is to stick with the seat that came in it and a real sheepskin cover for "butt" comfort.