PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help Handy Choose Some New Seats for His PT Vert!

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2017, 07:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Wink Help Handy Choose Some New Seats for His PT Vert!

The cloth seats in the 2nd Gen PT's are just not that attractive. And they just don't match the "sportiness" of the rest of my car.

I've considered finding some leathers our swapping in an OEM set out of a different car. But I think some new seats might be the way to go.

I'm not going to worry about the back seats right now. They never get used and are usually below a windscreen. Plus if I get to worrying about them later, I can always just add some good-looking covers. Since no one sits on them, that's likely good enough.

This leaves me with only needing two new front seats. I've been going through available sport seats in my $250-per-set target price range, and I've got four that might work. Here they are. I'd appreciate your positive input and any useful alternate suggestions you might have.

Note that these seats, like the car itself is just for putting around in with my sweeties. My sweetie loves speed, but she loves good looks and a good ride more. So I'm not really concerned with seat weight or anything else that dear souls trying hard to race a PT might be concerned with.

1. First up is a set of black seats with diamond hatch stitching. I really like this diamond hatching. Back height and overall dimensions are good. The main downside is that black by itself doesn't match with the color scheme as well.

2. Next up are some cool wide back seats with red trimming. Red along with yellow are both minor trim colors on my PT. I'd prefer yellow for the seat trim, but I couldn't find any yellow trimmed seats that I liked. They were either too narrow, too expensive or too ugly.

3. Number three is my current top pick. These seats are black with "grayish" trim. I say "grayish" because I've seen these same seats listed as having silver, gray and white trim. I've contacted the sellers to get clarification. Hopefully the color is light gray as in the photos. And gray is the primary interior color in my PT.

4. These seats are very similar to #3 above. But they are all black. The downside it the same as #1 above. All black just doesn't seem to work as well with my color scheme. But they have the wide back and other features I want. It's always possible solid black would look great. So I've provided them as a top four option.

Again, your positive feedback is appreciated. I'm not sure right now what I'm going to do. But your input will likely help me when I eventually decide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SeatChoice1a.jpg (96.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg SeatChoice1b.jpg (53.3 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Dec 2017 at 08:00 pm.
Old 03 Dec 2017, 08:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help Handy Choose Some New Seats for His PT Vert!

My vote would be for a 2-tone seat color with the colors matching the silver body color and the dark gray on the hood

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
151k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 03 Dec 2017, 08:37 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I would leave the seats alone. Those all look like they would be more at home in a videogame room. Big waste of money and the only reward would be a car that is a bit more ricer and has very out of place looking seats. I would point and laugh at a pt with those. Any of them.

I recommend you do what your good at and scout the yards for something that would look at home in there. I've contemplated putting Lincoln seats in my mustang.

Last edited by rob302; 03 Dec 2017 at 08:41 pm.
Old 03 Dec 2017, 08:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I vote the same as Rick: Two Tone silver/dark grey.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 03 Dec 2017, 08:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Use the stock seats, but get some custom 2-tone leather seat covers, again in the silver and dark gray colors to match the body

vermontpetey I think was going to do that next on his 'vert, until it got totaled
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 03 Dec 2017, 09:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I vote the same as Rick: Two Tone silver/dark grey.
I agree that a two tone silver/dark gray seat would be ideal because it would add impact and look more OEM. The problem so far is that I haven't been able to find any silver(light gray)/dark gray two-tone seats. There are some dark gray CATZKIN seat covers. But they are a thousand dollars. There are a few choices in solid light gray sports seats. But none look too good to me.

Salvage yard seats are one way to go. I could likely find something in dark gray leather or vinyl. However, they will be more difficult to mount and often when looking for leather and vinyl, the driver's seat is worn. Basically, I would need to find two identical sets and then trade the passenger's seat cushion for the drivers in order to make a decent set.

So far, making Rob laugh does sound like a plus for any of these four seats so I'll put that in the positive column. But I do like the idea of the light/dark gray. If anyone comes across a set of new sports seats in light/dark gray in my price range, please let me know.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Dec 2017 at 09:29 pm.
Old 03 Dec 2017, 09:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

I like the look of the two tone back and grey seats you posted. However I have sat in seats like these and for a big guy like me, they are uncomfortable. For a little guy, those features that have little give and are designed to hug a small person's body, just jab and are totally uncomfortable on my body. So I wouldn't buy those.

Maybe you can find an upholstery shop that can make some leather covers for your stock seats. They can use the existing fabric to make the leather perfectly.

Last edited by myckee; 03 Dec 2017 at 09:41 pm.
Old 03 Dec 2017, 09:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
I like the look of the two tone back and grey seats you posted. However I have sat in seats like these and for a big guy like me, they are uncomfortable. For a little guy, those features that have little give and are designed to hug a small person's body, just jab and are totally uncomfortable on my body. So I wouldn't buy those.

Maybe you can find an upholstery shop that can make some leather covers for your stock seats. They can use the existing fabric to make the leather perfectly.
I like the stock seats in my PT, they're very comfortable. I've had the front seats covered with sheepskin covers for years, they still look new underneath and just replaced the first set of sheepskin covers as they wore out, even though I would switch them between seats to even out the wear.

How much were the seats that you posted?

As myckee suggested, search out a local upholstery shop, they can likely get whatever material you want, in custom colors and make the covers for a lot less than any online vendor.
Handy_Cruiser and myckee like this.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 03 Dec 2017, 10:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'd do the upholstery shop thing. Either recover your seats or salvage yard seats to your specs.

My local upholstery shop not only repaired my drivers side seat bottom but also refreshed with new rubber cushions and it came out great for me.
http://www.carnut.com/
FB https://www.facebook.com/george.c.mcdowell
My 2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible Project

Old 03 Dec 2017, 11:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Several years ago I had a friend that bought a Mitsubishi car with cloth seats, but she really wanted leather, but to get the same car with the leather seats was about $1500 more. She bought the car with the cloth seats and then the dealership referred her to their local upholsterer and she got leather seats for about 1/3 of the cost of the factory ones. They were very high quality, just didn't have the expensive Mitsubishi logo embossed in them, but who cares when the price was right. The point is, many local shops can do great work.

USMC '82 - '93