Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By NitroPT
  • 4 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By svtnos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2018, 05:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy "Worth the Wait" or "Paper Weight"

I have a 2006 GT convertible. It is the high output 230hp with manual Getrag transmission. Son in law drove it and overheated it. I put in some stop leak since it was still running and fouled out an O2 sensor. It has under 90,000 miles on the odometer. A few folks told me is is about $2,000 to get the head gaskets replaced. This seems overly priced. They told me this GT model has aluminum components and the turbo version is much more expensive to to repair. I don't know what to do... I own multiple cars. This convertible was just for fun to drive around with the top down. So, it's not mandatory that it is repaired to drive but... Any idea on what head gasket repair typically costs in NE Texas? Also, does anyone know of a place that they'd trust within 100 miles of Jacksonville, TX? Is there special value in GT components to part it out?

Many Thanks...
Old 20 Jan 2018, 06:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: "Worth the Wait" or "Paper Weight"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcroozer View Post
I have a 2006 GT convertible. It is the high output 230hp with manual Getrag transmission. Son in law drove it and overheated it. I put in some stop leak since it was still running and fouled out an O2 sensor. It has under 90,000 miles on the odometer. A few folks told me is is about $2,000 to get the head gaskets replaced. This seems overly priced. They told me this GT model has aluminum components and the turbo version is much more expensive to to repair. I don't know what to do... I own multiple cars. This convertible was just for fun to drive around with the top down. So, it's not mandatory that it is repaired to drive but... Any idea on what head gasket repair typically costs in NE Texas? Also, does anyone know of a place that they'd trust within 100 miles of Jacksonville, TX? Is there special value in GT components to part it out?

Many Thanks...
Are you getting your estimates from the dealers?
Old 20 Jan 2018, 08:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

that's a very nice car, and not that cheap up here in MI. Anyone would
like own a GT CONV. I would try to get it fixed. Its a GT conv.
Old 20 Jan 2018, 11:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You're at 90,000 miles so you are also about due for the timing belt replacement, and all the other parts (timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idler pulley, cam seals, crank seal, and center motor mount with a new bolt) that should be done with that job.

That's going to raise your total repair bill some. I've had that work done twice on my NA PT, at dealerships using all MOPAR parts, and both times it was right around $1500.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
157k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 21 Jan 2018, 11:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I have a 2006 GT convertible. It has under 90,000 miles on the odometer. A few folks told me is is about $2,000 to get the head gaskets replaced. This seems overly priced. They told me this GT model has aluminum components and the turbo version is much more expensive to to repair.
This is really not enough or best information to give you an idea of a repair cost?
Some of us would really need to see the estimated work order based on the inspection from the auto service shop and not the speculation of what may be wrong from "people"!
ptprice and dougs like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Jan 2018, 01:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

Many Thanks...
Having the manual Getrag makes you car more desirable. These were rarer than the automatic GT's and PT enthusiasts value the manual more. But for regular resale, it doesn't impact sale price very much. Prices in Arkansas are similar to much of East Texas. I'd value your PT at about $3,500 if it good condition. You will need to weigh that against the price of repair.

To remove the head, the timing belt must be removed as already mentioned. Since the timing belt and associated components are supposed to be replaced around 100,000 miles, you are already there. And the cost of that at a private shop is going to be between $1,000 and $1,500. You add in the parts and labor for replacing the head gasket, $2,000 is not unreasonable.

Chances are that your friends giving you this price are making lots of assumptions. They are likely assuming the head is not damaged and can be reused. In most cases, this will be true. And that means no "special" parts are needed because this is a turbo car. Everything is readily available.

Your friends may or may not be including a rebuild for the head at a machine shop. If me, I would make sure this is included when I get a real quote from a shop since it will help assure the head is good and this will possibly extend the life of the engine with new valve seals and valve resurfacing. It would also be good to know if the shop is quoting a new catalytic converter. Yours may be damaged and needs to be inspected. One more thing to consider is having the center right motor mount replaced during the job. These are inexpensive but almost impossible to access except when the timing belt job is performed.

If I couldn't do job myself, I'd get several quotes. There should be several shops able to do this over in Tyler and Longview. And as suggested, you can also post the quotes here and we can give you our opinions. There's some smart folks here and lot's of hands-on PT repair knowledge to draw on.

PS: It should be noted that while I am an ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech and an excellent lover, I primarily work as a Safety Engineer among other things and I haven't worked as a professional mechanic since I was young strapping lad with long sexy flowing hair before college. And even then, I mainly worked on big trucks and heavy equipment. Nowadays, I enjoy working on these funny looking little cars for fun and relaxation. And I help others when I can.
ptprice, dougs, CRUZ and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 21 Jan 2018 at 01:38 pm.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 12:19 am
Cool Cruiser

https://repairpal.com/estimator/chry...placement-cost
Black base 2006 NA, dented front bumper, scratched rear bumper. 2008 Touring, one of 385 red Turbos built in 2008. Limited grill, body-colored mirrors, grab handle deleted, dual-tone horn, shorty antenna.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 08:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry for the delay in replying... Thank you all for the advice, the web page link, and thanks Handy_Cruiser for almost making me fall out of my chair with laughter on "PS: It should be noted that while I am an ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech and an excellent lover, I primarily work as a Safety Engineer"...

I guess I'll let it sit a bit longer and see if I can get a warm fuzzy feeling after checking with more mechanic shops. I watched a few videos and it actually doesn't look like it would be a huge job. As with many, I have too many projects and not enough time.

I love the look of the PT convertible. It was nice that it had the extra oomph of 230HP too.

Thanks Again!
Old 28 Feb 2018, 08:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

no the GT doesn't have aluminum parts the NA's dont. The only difference is Cams, Rods, and Pistons, (of course the turbo). It shouldn't matter for the price, they are pulling your leg.

If you don't get it fixed..... I call dibs on first offer for the transmission.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 23 Mar 2018, 01:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

get a new son in law ..

lol jk
CRUZ likes this.