PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What kind of PT Cruiser do I have, and what engine?

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By pt06
  • 1 Post By rckstein
  • 2 Post By brian2002utd
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2018, 02:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default What kind of PT Cruiser do I have, and what engine?

I have been wanting a PT Cruiser for a long time. I love the retro look to it. I just acquired a 2005 PT Cruiser convertible. It definitely needs some work, so I am going to restore it.

1) Looking through websites for parts, I need to know exactly what model it is. According to J.C. Whitney.com website, I understand that, for model year 2005, there is a "Base", a "Dream Cruiser", a "GT", a "Limited", a "Street Cruiser" and "Touring". I don't see any of those appellations on the outside of the vehicle... can I assume it is a "Base" model?

2) I also understand that, according to Autozone.com website, there are several engines for this model year: "4 Cylinders 8 2.4L MFI Turbo DOHC", "4 Cylinders B 2.4L MFI DOHC", "4 Cylinders E 2.4L MFI Turbo DOHC", "4 Cylinders G 2.4L MFI Turbo DOHC", "4 Cylinders S 2.4L MFI Turbo DOHC", and "4 Cylinders X 2.4L FI DOHC". How can I find out what type of engine my vehicle has?

If it helps in ID'ing it, it has a five-speed manual transmission.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions, advice, ideas or other words of wisdom!

Last edited by Dunestrider; 25 Apr 2018 at 02:08 pm.
Old 25 Apr 2018, 02:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: What kind of PT Cruiser do I have, and what engine?

The 8th letter/number of your VIN number will tell you the type of engine you have. It's on a plate visible thru the lower left windshield.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 25 Apr 2018, 04:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I believe the only models of convertible were...Base, Touring & GT.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 01 May 2018, 05:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

I was going to post this a few days ago but the Dodge website was down.

You can find out everything about your PT by getting the Build Sheet for it.

Go to this website:

https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.html

In the left-hand column under YOUR VEHICLE

click on Equipment Listing

On the next page that loads in the white box in the middle enter the VIN then click the red Search button.

The next document will be the Build Sheet for your PT.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 11 Jun 2018, 11:54 pm
Young Cruiser

I have a 05 Vert as well. The touring edition would have come with stock alloy wheels where as the base would have steel wheels with a plastic "beauty cover." The touring had 2 engine options, naturally aspirated or turbocharged. The turbo would be easily identifiable as it would have an aluminum intake manifold as opposed to the stantard plastic. The valve cover would also be aluminum. If its a GT than you have a high output turbo and i believe a different looking speedo cluster. If you find that its a turbo I would recommend getting a OBD2 bluetooth module and downloading an app called torque pro. It will allow you to see what your PSI boost is based on MAP sensor readings. Some non GT turbos have been modified to meet or exceed GT specs. The boost reading would be an obvious indicator of that.
Handy_Cruiser and CRUZ like this.
Old 12 Jun 2018, 12:01 am
Young Cruiser

Also I don't believe there is any difference parts wise for the several different turbo engine codes you will see on the AutoZone app or web site. It confused me at first as I have a turbo. Parts should be interchangeable across all those turbo engine codes to my knowledge. Even the GT turbo has all the same parts, the regular turbo is merely downtuned to 7PSI boost so you can run regular grade fuel. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. We have 3 PTs in this household!

Last edited by brian2002utd; 12 Jun 2018 at 12:04 am.
Old 12 Jun 2018, 06:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The 2005 Dream Cruiser only came one color that's a dark taupe. It also has all the GT stuff.
The 2005 GT will have 17 inch wheels, turbo and Autostick shifter or 5 speed manual. Leather seats.
The 2005 Touring Vert has 16 inch wheels, an auto tranny with regular seats. Turbo and leather are optional.
2005 Base model has 15 inch wheels. They are usually steel with hubcaps. Tranny is auto or 5 speed manual. Seats are cloth. No turbo option.
CRUZ likes this.
Old 18 Jun 2018, 03:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian2002utd View Post
I have a 05 Vert as well. The touring edition would have come with stock alloy wheels where as the base would have steel wheels with a plastic "beauty cover." The touring had 2 engine options, naturally aspirated or turbocharged. The turbo would be easily identifiable as it would have an aluminum intake manifold as opposed to the stantard plastic. The valve cover would also be aluminum. If its a GT than you have a high output turbo and i believe a different looking speedo cluster. If you find that its a turbo I would recommend getting a OBD2 bluetooth module and downloading an app called torque pro. It will allow you to see what your PSI boost is based on MAP sensor readings. Some non GT turbos have been modified to meet or exceed GT specs. The boost reading would be an obvious indicator of that.
I thought that the composite manifold was a running change? I can't remember if it was 2004 or 2005, but at least part of the year should have the composite manifold for turbo and NA Cruisers.
Old 18 Jun 2018, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

For the turbo PT's, 2003 and 2004 had aluminium intakes. Most 2005 GT's got plastic intakes. 2005 Turbo Lites got a mix of aluminum and plastic. From 2006 on, most all got plastic.

And of course, all non-turbo PT's have plastic.
Fk5 likes this.