Advertisements
Odd power window problem

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dunestrider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 May 2018, 05:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Odd power window problem

My PT Cruiser had an issue (when I bought it 2 weeks ago), where both (front & rear) driver's side windows would not open.

I read that disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes would cause something (sensor? computer?) to reboot. I will refer to this procedure as the "disconnecting battery routine". I tried that and it worked, for over a week!

Then one day I put the top down. At the end of the day, I raised the roof... then the front driver's side window would not work (the rear driver's side window works fine) I tried the disconnecting battery routine, still did not work (window stuck in full down position). After a few tries (disconnecting battery routine) it finally worked when I closed the door.

Now, the front driver's side window will not open or close... in fact, it is stuck where it is about 2" away from being completely closed. If I push the button to try to get it to go up or down, nothing happens, except the faint sound of a click inside the door, which is identical to the sound from the other (working) windows where, if the window is fully down, and press the down button, a faint click can be heard.

So my questions are:

1) Do you think this is related to the roof (since this problem only re-occurred after lowering and raising the roof)?

2) Because I can hear a faint "click" from the malfunctioning window when I press the "up" or "down" switch, can I assume that the switch is fine?
Old 01 May 2018, 06:07 pm
Banned

Default Re: Odd power window problem

Your '05 'vert has a Smart Glass module to lower the windows slightly when the doors are opened to clear the top.

You can read a TSB on it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/21cmwv64zt...Glass.pdf?dl=0
Old 02 May 2018, 08:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Odd power window problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Your '05 'vert has a Smart Glass module to lower the windows slightly when the doors are opened to clear the top.

You can read a TSB on it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/21cmwv64zt...Glass.pdf?dl=0
Thank you! That document will be useful.
rckstein likes this.
Old 11 Jun 2018, 11:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Odd power window problem

I had some issues with my windows after disconnecting my battery one time. I believe that the verts use the computer when using the power windows as they have to drop down a bit when you open the doors and when you are raising and lowering the top. The computer keeps everything in harmony so that the windows and convertible top all work in unison. Disconnecting the battery for about a half hour worked to fix my problem. Could be mechanical, electrical or an issue with the ECU.