Advertisements
Hydraulic Top Acting up

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brian2002utd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jul 2018, 10:05 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Hydraulic Top Acting up

Recently I've started having issues when lowering the top. It will get stuck about half way for a few seconds, and then will continue its path down. I either have to take my finger off the button and press again or keep holding down. Either way the motor runs for a bit with no top movement. I'm wondering if maybe I have a hydraulic leak or the motor is about to go out. Any ideas? This is on a 05 Vert.
Old 03 Jul 2018, 09:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hydraulic Top Acting up

Sounds like the pump may be a little low on fluid. I've never had to work on mine so I don't have first hand advice to give. I'd have to look it up. But there are ways to check the fluid level and check for leaks.

If you need a copy of the service manual, you can download it here from my Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing

If you can't find what you need in that 2005 Service Manual, try this 2nd Gen PT Service Manual. It may have more on the convertible top:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing
Old 30 Jul 2018, 11:06 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Hydraulic Top Acting up

You were correct about the fluid being low Handycruiser! The reservoir was empty. I researched a fix and found that its a closed system and somebody recommended drilling a hole in the reservoir, adding fluid and using a rubber stopper. I found a better solution:

https://youtu.be/bAPuppA5x90

All you need is a bottle of ATF and one of those turkey marinade injectors with the tip cut so there is only one opening. It requires some patience but the reservoir will fill up without drilling any holes. The video does a good job of explaining how to do it (and what not to do.) Top runs like brand new now!
Handy_Cruiser likes this.