Advertisements
Lower in the back of my GT

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Dec 2018, 07:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Lower in the back of my GT

Hello, I have Lowed the GT front and back. I still have a gap on the back of the car. I want to get rid of the gap.What can I do to achieve this? 2inches on the back 1.5 on the front.
Old 06 Dec 2018, 07:31 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Lower in the back of my GT

did you pull out all the rubber isolators ?
Old 06 Dec 2018, 09:18 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtnos View Post
Not a great move. Isolators are there for a reason - or rather reasons. Vibrations, location (the spring doesn't chatter and rotate out of alignment in use) and wear, which due to the other two will take out your spring seat if they are not there.
The height gain (or loss) from removing them is minimal - probably less than a mm each end after compression is taken into account.

Bollocks to Brexit
Old 06 Dec 2018, 09:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtnos View Post
This is a bad idea. They are there to use the street term "bump stops", and are design to absorb and slow down the axle when the springs become so compressed the axle makes contact them. Even trimming them is a bad idea unless it is absolutely necessary and should only be enough for clearance with a full tank of gas..

As for lowering the PT Cruiser... I have to ask before the PT was lowered what was the measurements of the front and back? This is always a requirement to install lowering springs correctly but not always worded this in the installation instructions of the springs. Before any suspension modification like springs the first thing to do is to completely check the suspension for correct specification.

Unless the PT cruiser is going to be for parking lot shows it really is better on this platform to have a slight increase in the rear suspension over the front. Unless the intended use will never have luggage or other passengers.
Sinbad likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 06 Dec 2018 at 09:30 am.
Old 06 Dec 2018, 09:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Go old school: bigger tires on the rear. I tried it and decided to go bigger tires ( 225/60 15) all around.

'02 base, 5 spd, HAHN turbo kit & some other stuff.
Old 06 Dec 2018, 12:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by taikuching View Post
Go old school: bigger tires on the rear. I tried it and decided to go bigger tires ( 225/60 15) all around.
I've got a set of 205/60 16s - and you're right - they fill the arches nicely compared to the 205/55 std. A nicer ride as well in normal use, although they were a bit wooly at high speed.
That said, I haven't had them back on since I put -30's and KYB's on the back end, which made a nicht and day difference to all aspects of handing and ride as my old shocks were the 370,000Km plus originals.

Bollocks to Brexit
Old 06 Dec 2018, 12:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
This is a bad idea. They are there to use the street term "bump stops", and are design to absorb and slow down the axle when the springs become so compressed the axle makes contact them. Even trimming them is a bad idea unless it is absolutely necessary and should only be enough for clearance with a full tank of gas..
I took him to mean the rubber end caps that go between the spring and the spring plate and spigot.

On chopping the bump stops, I have nothing against chopping them roughly in line with how much you lower - eg, 20mm off for a 30mm drop. What I don't like seeing is people just chop a lump off in situ.

The bump stops are graduated with a thin wall section to begin (ie, closer to the axle) with gradually stiffer sections after that towards the turret.

If they're going to be chopped, they should at least be taken out of the turret and chopped at the end that goes into the turret - not the graduated end. If you look at the stops once they are out of the trurrets, you can see where to cut and retain a "ring" that fits over the depressed grip formed in the turret to hold them in place.

Bollocks to Brexit