PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Upgrade Gen2 to OEM heated seats

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jan 2019, 07:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Upgrade Gen2 to OEM heated seats

I bought a used low mileage 2008 PT Cruiser Convertible that did not come from the factory with heated seats. I would like to replace my current non-heated seats with heated seats but I don't know if anyone has tried to do this and if it is an easy upgrade. Does anyone know:

1) Are Gen2 Convertible PT Cruisers pre-wired for heated seats? If so, I can easily replace the panel below the HVAC controls with one that includes the heated seat switches.

2) If the car is already pre-wired for heated seats, then the necessary connectors are under the seats and I can replace the non-heated seats with replacements from a Convertible Gen2 that has heated seats.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 08:27 pm
Banned

Default Re: Upgrade Gen2 to OEM heated seats

Welcome to the forum

This is your first post since joining the forum in Mar 2013

You should go to Welcome New PT Cruiser Members - PT Cruiser Forum and create an intro thread

Did you just buy the '08 vert recently or when you joined the forum in 2013?

Do you have a copy of the Service Manual?

If not, I can send you a PM with a link to download a copy from my DropBox.

You should be able to look at the wiring diagram in the manual and the connectors for the seats to see if the heated option wiring is already in the connectors.

Last edited by rckstein; 29 Jan 2019 at 08:37 pm.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 01:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Upgrade Gen2 to OEM heated seats

Thanks!

Originally I had a Black 2005 4 Door Wagon but replaced it with my Red 2008 PT Cruiser Convertible (last year produced).

The previous PT Cruiser did not come with fog lights but was an easy upgrade. All I had to do was replace the combination headlight/turn signal switch with one that came from a car that had the fog lights from the factory. The wiring was already in place to install the fog lights without requiring me to run any new wiring.

I was just hoping that someone had already replaced their non-heated seats with heated seats for a Gen2 model or had found that it couldn't be done.

As for the Service Manual, I do not have one, and greatly appreciate your offer.

Thanks Again,

Tom
Old 30 Jan 2019, 03:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

I think @Sinbad just put Gen1 heated seats in a Gen2, so it should be possible. Look for his thread. Apparently heated seats were common on Gen1's in the EU.
Sinbad likes this.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 04:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Where you are in the world *may* make a difference - as will the age of the donor car.
For instance, there can be differences such as seat frame width (ie, the runners don't line up with the mounting holes) and the wiring can be decidedly odd-ball.

Bear in mind, my swap was between an EU 01 Gen 1 leather seat set, and an 07 Gen 2 EU diesel cloth seat, but I'll be of what help I can.

I would not start it unless you are fairly confident around tools and have a bit of an engineering mindset that enables you to troubleshoot your way through if you need to, because it *could* get squirrelly.

It *might* not - it might be a piece of cake - but it certainly wasn't in my case. It was a moo - but 250% worth it.

Feel free to pick whatever passes as my brains
Old 30 Jan 2019, 07:18 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20k9 View Post
Thanks!

Originally I had a Black 2005 4 Door Wagon but replaced it with my Red 2008 PT Cruiser Convertible (last year produced).

The previous PT Cruiser did not come with fog lights but was an easy upgrade. All I had to do was replace the combination headlight/turn signal switch with one that came from a car that had the fog lights from the factory. The wiring was already in place to install the fog lights without requiring me to run any new wiring.

I was just hoping that someone had already replaced their non-heated seats with heated seats for a Gen2 model or had found that it couldn't be done.

As for the Service Manual, I do not have one, and greatly appreciate your offer.

Thanks Again,

Tom
PM sent

Section 8W is the wiring diagram. I looked over a couple of the connectors and I did notice that at least 1 wire changed gauge size if the vehicle had heated seats or not.

So be sure and look everything over, carefully, and you now have a Gen2 which has the CANbus electrical system which is different from the Gen1 that you first had. With the CANbus system, it's not as easy to just cut and splice wires wherever you want to.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 09:46 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I think all the earlier model PTs have the seat heater wires installed from the factory. In any case at least on SOOO BIG. There's two sets of control wire looms coming out of the floor to service the front seats.
When I found a nice set of early model replacement suede/leather seats at our local salvage yard, I also found another set of early model trashed seats with good heat elements in them. That would've been a paltry ten dollar more but down here in Florida we don't have that many days when heated seats are necessary. To much heat down there!
Besides, I got a full under seat drawer and slide assembly from the same PT that had the heat elements for just $5.00 more. I put that complete assembly under the "new" driver's seat.
If all else fails if you can,take a look at one in a salvage yard.
The attached photo of the seats installed shows the side of the driver's seat with a wire loom running diagonally, visible under the bottom in the front. That the safety wire to sense someone in the seat for the seat belts and all that related stuff. I think that bit of white showing under the side seat trim bottom is the production tag on the loom near the plug is where the unused heater wire was clipped on. It's been a while since I've installed 'em and I have no short term memory since my stroke.
It came out of the floor right near the other loom in under the front seat. Strictly speaking this is first generation PT info about the heater and wire loom but I can't imagine Chrysler would make that much of a change on the second generation PT wiring in this area.
If you have a second unplugged wire under the front seats that's not going anywhere on your second generation PT that would, in all probability be the built in heater wire. When I first removed SOOO BIG;s old seats that heat wire that doesn't go anywhere interfered with the removal as it was tucked up under and clipped to the seat frame. I hope this helps.
Here's some reference photos.
Good luck, Happy PTin', ptprice

front seat2.jpg

heaterplugfront.jpg

heaterplugback.jpg
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 17 Apr 2019, 05:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks so very much for the help. Now that it's Summertime here in TN I have placed this on the back burner.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 18 Apr 2019, 07:30 am
Veteran Cruiser

Whereabouts in TN are you? I'm a TN native that unfortunately got transplanted to FL in 2015. I hate it here and want to move back home. I grew up near the Tennessee River in a little town called Waverly. Humphreys County. Lived in or around Nashville for about 20 years and Kingsport and Shelbyville both for about 2 years.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 06 Aug 2019, 07:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry for the delay in replying but I hadn't seen it until today.

I'm from Knoxville, TN (born and raised). Live here for over 60 years.