PROJECT: PT Crawler Convertible Build

Like Tree70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Mar 2020, 09:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: PROJECT: PT Crawler Convertible Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcroozer View Post
Also, the PT front frame section that supports the inner fenders are going to need to be cut out because the shock towers from Suzuki hit right in the middle of their location. Some of the center floor section will likely need to be cut out too for clearance. It all reminds me of a LeRoux song from around 1980 - "Nobody said it would be easy"!

Hopefully, once those obstacles are behind me, I'll feel energized and ready for more...
Once you hack out the inner wings, your front end is a gonner anyway, so (it seems to me) you may as well make life simple and get rid of the Vert from the firewall forwards.

Would you not be better off.... if, before you hack the inners of the vert, you welded the Verts wings (fenders) and bonnet (hood) together in their correct orientation, supporting them with tube inside for rigidity, and then use the whole assembly as a front tilt jobbie, hinged on the Suzuki frame? or even a two man "lift off" section?

You could then section the *lower* inner frame legs of the Vert and either bolt it or weld it to the front of the Suzuki frame to mate up with the "empty shell" of the Vert front end, to provide it's hinge, or front location if you go for a lift off solution.
Old 24 Mar 2020, 09:55 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
Once you hack out the inner wings, your front end is a gonner anyway, so (it seems to me) you may as well make life simple and get rid of the Vert from the firewall forwards.

Would you not be better off.... if, before you hack the inners of the vert, you welded the Verts wings (fenders) and bonnet (hood) together in their correct orientation, supporting them with tube inside for rigidity, and then use the whole assembly as a front tilt jobbie, hinged on the Suzuki frame? or even a two man "lift off" section?

You could then section the *lower* inner frame legs of the Vert and either bolt it or weld it to the front of the Suzuki frame to mate up with the "empty shell" of the Vert front end, to provide it's hinge, or front location if you go for a lift off solution.
Hey Sinbad,
I got busy with a saws-all and did my first cuts. The wings that support the front fenders are pretty stout since they have an inner and outer layer and are welded alongside the firewall. The top center cross support that goes behind the grill and holds the hood release mechanism still bolts on to the wings but has been removed for the photo. The original shock towers are now cut out making room for some modified Suzuki inner fender components. The PT's lower frame has been cut off since the Suzuki's will soon take it's place. I may need to trim the old lower frame back more after initial fitment and first looks. I do believe it will be possible to re-attach the lower radiator support section once everything is mocked up. My hope is to be able to use the PT's electric fan instead of the belt driven one that's standard on the Sidekick.

Old 24 Mar 2020, 12:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

OK, so the "upper arms" of the Vert weren't the problem, it was just the lowers? If the uppers clear the Zuki's spring turrets, you're laughing.

I got confused cos you said about fenders (wings in English) and the wings hang on the "upper arms" not the bottoms
Old 24 Mar 2020, 12:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
My hope is to be able to use the PT's electric fan instead of the belt driven one that's standard on the Sidekick.
Are you a masochist??
Handy_Cruiser and chuzz like this.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 06:27 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
OK, so the "upper arms" of the Vert weren't the problem, it was just the lowers? If the uppers clear the Zuki's spring turrets, you're laughing.

I got confused cos you said about fenders (wings in English) and the wings hang on the "upper arms" not the bottoms
Yes, only the lowers, shock towers, and center firewall were causing issues. I actually have it on the frame now. I'll use about a 2" spacer for the mounting pads in the front. On the back I'll only need a thin one of about 1/2". Trying to decide if I want a slight rake to the front. May drop the front a small amount after looking at everything closer tomorrow. If I were to do it again, I believe I'd add an extra 1" to the frame making it a 104" wheelbase. It's fairly tight with the 235/75/15" tires...

Here's the first look at the PT body sitting on the Sidekick frame/drivetrain!

Old 25 Mar 2020, 06:40 pm
Young Cruiser

Here are a few more "First Look" pictures. It sits up higher than I had desired. I wasn't going for a monster truck look. It's sitting on the skates so removing those will drop it down another 4" more inches...

Old 25 Mar 2020, 08:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If you think it sits too high, I'm sure you already know what your two options are

I think it looks pretty good that height, actually, but yes, would probably look better 6 inches lower.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 08:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: PROJECT: PT Crawler Convertible Build

Higher is GREAT - we can really use this sort of vehicle up here in the frozen North
Old 25 Mar 2020, 08:32 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
If you think it sits too high, I'm sure you already know what your two options are

I think it looks pretty good that height, actually, but yes, would probably look better 6 inches lower.
Hehe, yeah 10" of travel space is overkill. Probably gonna go forward with it though due to heavy mods required to lower it maybe 2".

I did stick the rear bumper on. The frame needs to come back nearly an inch as it sits too.

Old 26 Mar 2020, 02:33 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Hehe, yeah 10" of travel space is overkill. Probably gonna go forward with it though due to heavy mods required to lower it maybe 2".

I did stick the rear bumper on. The frame needs to come back nearly an inch as it sits too.

Seems to me that the easiest way would be to build across the sills (rockers) inside the Vert - maybe using 3 or 4 2" angle irons ground out at the ends so they welded to the top of the sills on their horizontals and inside the sills on their vertical edges, so you've effectively created a ladder chassis inside the Vert.

Then "slot" the floorpan so it dropped over the Zuki's chassis rails and sat on the ladder chassis? Take away the vertical of the ladder chassis where your slots are, so it sits on the "flats" of the ladder bars. Holes through, bolt it down. Then you can use what you want as a floor inside the vert. You might even get lucky, and the Zuki frame would sit between your legs and you wouldn't have to alter seats and pedals?

I dunno. If I was this far in, I'd probably do it, rather than wish I had forever once it was all finished and painted etc

Edit: just looking at that photo, at a guess, doing the ladder frame would drop it so that the bottom of the rear light would be around the level of the top of the rear tyre? Obviously you're in a better position to measure it exactly :-D
ptprice likes this.

Last edited by Sinbad; 26 Mar 2020 at 03:00 am.