PROJECT: PT Crawler Convertible Build

Like Tree94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 May 2020, 01:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PROJECT: PT Crawler Convertible Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 917K View Post
Looking good TP, all that engineering required to make this project work would do my head in, but it will be one cool ride when it's done! We're looking forward to the next post.
Ditto here!
My head has been spinning!

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 12 May 2020, 07:06 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement... With COVID19 happening and work hours shortened a little, I've managed at least a full day each week to devote to this project and it has helped with the progress.

PS: I'm coming up on lots of sheetmetal welding. So far, my welding is
Old 19 May 2020, 12:15 am
Young Cruiser

I have the firewall welded in place and the front inner fenders are welded in too. The area below the front arched supports where I originally cut it out has now been welded back in place. I also welded back in place the radiator supports for both the PT Cruiser or the original Sidekick in case I start out using the original Sidekick on instead of waiting and fabbing up the connections for the PT Fan and radiator (I still want to do this but may wait a bit until it is driveable). My welding is still apprentice level but everything seems to have a good bond but just isn't pretty. I'm just cutting up scraps of old body parts to connect things together. This is a true reflection of a beginner's DIY low budget build!

After getting front fenders and both bumpers in place I discovered that I need to move the body forward 1/2". Ugh... Oh well, I guess this was to be expected. I'm going to have rubbing issues in the front on both sides of the wheel. The little waffle piece behind the plastic inner fender will need some massaging and the plastic front bumper is going to have to have about an inch ground off behind the leading edge. The goal is still to make it work without chopping any of the fenders' outside body edges. The rear wheel will go backward about 1/2". This will give it 1.5" in front of the rear wheel and 2.5" behind. This should be about right since the trailing arms rotate up and back during the compression of the rear end and wheels.

Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by tpcroozer; 19 May 2020 at 12:17 am.
Old 19 May 2020, 12:20 am
Young Cruiser

This photo is behind the front wheel before the body gets moved forward 1/2" on the frame.

Handy_Cruiser and Royal like this.