Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
rev limiter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Nov 2004, 09:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default rev limiter

My wife & myself have a 2005 touring model, ragtop W/ turbo.
Now earlier today the car wasa warming up for a few minutes so I decided to rev the engin a little. At 4000rpms the damn thing started to dog down and choke like there is a rev limiter in there. I know that if there is a rev limiter in there that it should not dog down at 4000rpms or am I wrong?? anybody with any info on this?
thanks in advance
Eddiejr666
Old 05 Jun 2009, 10:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: rev limiter

Hey - that happened to me too, right around 4 grand rpm in park. Dealership told me there is a rev limiter on the turbos that explains it. What did you find out? Did it do sae on the road?
Neil
04 GT high output turbo
Old 05 Jun 2009, 11:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Both the turbo and non-turbo have the rev limiter (around 4K) that limits the revs while at idle. There's nothing wrong with your car. There's also a limiter on top speed on both cars set by the computer. Around 105-110mph on the non-turbo, around 120-130mph on the turbos.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 05 Jun 2009 at 11:20 am.
Old 05 Jun 2009, 12:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for this reply - awesome
Old 12 Jun 2009, 12:50 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: rev limiter

Hey Guys,

Now I'm not all that for sure when it comes to mechanical technical stuff so please bear with me on this one. I have a Turbo, and always thought that the Rev Limiter was when you kick the throttle to high RPM and it starts in that little deal where you hit the high ROM's and in starts fluctuating up/down/up/down repeatedly, not bog down. One of the reasons I am asking is, I know my Mechanic did some stuff like reset the shift points, chip, and so on back when they redid the Auto Stick Trans, and I think my Tach is pretty off, but when I drop the thing down and paddle through the gears manually the Tach reads 6000 RPM, the motor sounds wound up their pretty far, and its got enough kick to throw you back in the seat a little bit which always seems to impress me, and anybody along for the ride pretty good for a 4 banger! I remember when I had my old BFG's on their I used to be able to just drop the hammer, and the tires would keep spinning as I took off till I let up to get some traction which either way is fast enough to get me in enough trouble to wind up in the Poky with Smoky for sure, and maybe a few cold nights on the couch if my wife found out!

So getting back on track here, is that up/down thing at high RPM the Rev Limiter, or the High Speed limiter, or something else, and since I do keep on hearing bout other People's PT's having the same issue, I wonder why mine does'nt seem to have the problem? I'm afraid I am a bit lost on this stuff once again! Give me an air brush, paint gun, or even a buffer and a bottle of wax and I am right at home back in my element, but much more than that and I am completely, and utterly , Like a deer in headlights! Any of our Tech's out their have a bit more insight on this one...please? As always, your time, an effort are oh so well appreciated!

And to Mr. Crewzin, all that above their is just theoretical like their!

Go easy,

Candyman

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 12 Jun 2009, 01:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Hey Guys,

Now I'm not all that for sure when it comes to mechanical technical stuff so please bear with me on this one. I have a Turbo, and always thought that the Rev Limiter was when you kick the throttle to high RPM and it starts in that little deal where you hit the high ROM's and in starts fluctuating up/down/up/down repeatedly, not bog down. One of the reasons I am asking is, I know my Mechanic did some stuff like reset the shift points, chip, and so on back when they redid the Auto Stick Trans, and I think my Tach is pretty off, but when I drop the thing down and paddle through the gears manually the Tach reads 6000 RPM, the motor sounds wound up their pretty far, and its got enough kick to throw you back in the seat a little bit which always seems to impress me, and anybody along for the ride pretty good for a 4 banger! I remember when I had my old BFG's on their I used to be able to just drop the hammer, and the tires would keep spinning as I took off till I let up to get some traction which either way is fast enough to get me in enough trouble to wind up in the Poky with Smoky for sure, and maybe a few cold nights on the couch if my wife found out!

So getting back on track here, is that up/down thing at high RPM the Rev Limiter, or the High Speed limiter, or something else, and since I do keep on hearing bout other People's PT's having the same issue, I wonder why mine does'nt seem to have the problem? I'm afraid I am a bit lost on this stuff once again! Give me an air brush, paint gun, or even a buffer and a bottle of wax and I am right at home back in my element, but much more than that and I am completely, and utterly , Like a deer in headlights! Any of our Tech's out their have a bit more insight on this one...please? As always, your time, an effort are oh so well appreciated!

And to Mr. Crewzin, all that above their is just theoretical like their!

Go easy,

Candyman

Candyman
Interesting. I'd really like to know how the mechanic changed the shift points on the auto tranny when shift point control is programmed in the pcm? What chip are you talking about.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 13 Jun 2009, 11:02 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: rev limiter

Hey their Mean Green,

I'll try n see what he did. He is an good friend of my Mechanic, and supposedly is one of a handful of certified top Viper Techs in California. What all that means I am not sure, but I can tell ya he had my ride under his care over at a pretty high end Chrysler Dealer over in Palm Springs for two months solid, and when I got it back, it was on a whole new level!

My Mechanic turned me on to him after trying everything we could think of to quiet down that annoying little tapping that a lot of PT Motors tend to do, and he wound up pulling the lifters out, replacing them with some kind of new High Performance ones, and then hand grinding the pucks on the lifters to a rounded head, and it has never made noise again! After I picked it up, we were talking a little, and he was talking about being really into electronics, and licked to play around, and write a lot of his own code to re-program PCM's, and do something with re-programming the EFI Systems as well. The Chip I know is also a part of his system, but am not really sure exactly what it does other than he said it was a part of his EMS System he was playing around with at the time. I wish I were a bit more mechanical to better explain it for you. All I do know is that he wanted to play with it as he was developing some new electronics parts at the time, and asked if he could borrow my car to do some development, and testing on for a few weeks, and in return it would be a lot faster, and run way better than factory, and so I did, and it did!

This was well over two years ago, and last I heard he moved back home to Detroit MI to supposedly work in the Chrysler Research and Development Department, or so my Mechanic said. Having met the guy, and how educated he talked, and crazy smart he seemed to be, I wouldn't be surprised, but who knows. All I know is that the trans shifts pretty smoothly when in drive, but when its in autostick, the RPM's go way high before the computer will take over and finally shift it if I don't, it feels really fast, and one time shortly after I got it back, I was down visiting my inlaws who live out in the country down by El Centro, CA, and I got it out on a 20 mile stretch of road and dropped the hammer to the floor just to see what it would do and it completely pegged the 140 MPH on the speedometer and still had quite a bit left in it. According to one of those little speed trap signs its showing at about 4 MPH off supposedly, but I am not real sure how accurate those things really are so theirs no telling how fast it was going for sure, other than it was fast! Other than that, I don't really know what he did to it.

Sorry I don't have any better info for you. Hope maybe you understand some of it better than I do.

Take er easy.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 19 Jun 2009, 08:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Great way to describe things!
The rev limiter is apparently for park or neutral only. In park, I could not rev past 4k rpm, it is well described as bogging down and this is what the dealer explained as the rev limiter.
With a bad spark plug wire I did not know about, and goosing it in drive, it was reluctant to accelerate which I think I mistook for the same behaviour as revving in park. When fixed, there is no problem at all getting to that 5-6k power band and the sifts are very precise.
Started to notice some faint valve rattle, a seconds' worth only, when flooring it up from 2 to 5k. Nothing however, like the ubiquitous typewriter chrysler 2.5's of which I owned a few, and the cause was piston pins, nothing to do with the valves.
It seems good for a 62k motor and it has 50k further powertrain warranty to see how it pans out.