Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Window Problems in cold weather

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Nov 2004, 08:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Window Problems in cold weather

Ok - so I live in the frozen north... We have had some snow here, and when the weather is really cold I have some problems with the windows. It seems as if the "SmartGlass" doesn't work (seems logical if the windows are "frozen" ) so when I get in, and close the door, the window gapes. When the car warms up enough to move the window down completely, it will come back up in the right position. Not a huge problem - burt certainly an annoyance.... Anyone else have the same issue???

Fran
Old 31 Dec 2012, 08:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Re: Window Problems in cold weather

Don't know how delayed this response is, but I'm in the Midwest and have similar issues with the convertible's windows not closing correctly. Have you found any answers?

Thanks.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 08:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Window Problems in cold weather

There are two methods, well more than that but two I've tried. I've got an '06 vert and she has had stuck windows in the past. Wash your windows good, apply that RainX on them to help keep the ice off, then lower the windows down all the way one at a time. I bought a rubber wedge but you can get a plastic shim at your local hardware store and push it down to spread open the weatherstripping. What I did was take a rag and soak it in RainX, then rub the daylights out of that weatherstripping. Then applied the same to the rubber seal around the door. That worked sometimes, but really cold days it didn't.

The alternative for me is the Cali PopTop cover. It's easy and quick to install, and I keep a plastic trashbag in my trunk to put it in during the winter when it's wet. Takes maybe 3 minutes to put it on and less than a minute to take it off.

With that, I rarely have window freezing problems. Here's a picture of my PT with it on:

One thing I'm doing this week is taking the front edge, that is held down by the wiper blades, folding it over and sealing in soft magnets so I can put it out on the hood so my wipers don't get frozen up. Works great both ways.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 09:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Window Problems in cold weather

Thanks for the response; I'll try both of your suggestions.