Advertisements
Window problems

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jun 2005, 12:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Window problems

FYI....

Opened my door the other day and my window didn't drop. Neither window on the driver's side would work. Of course, at the dealership the next day, it worked fine! However, the DC rep was there and there is a Tech Bulletin for window and top problems. Apparently, the window controls also tie into the top control. There was a problem with some of the early PT converts and the computer mechanism needs to be "flashed" to correct the problem. If it continues to be a problem, they will replace the mechanism, but the flashing needs to be tried first. Hope this helps someone else!
Old 04 Jan 2009, 10:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Window problems

Yes I had the same problem , the battery died, and I needed to jump start the car.
When I went to open the windows the windows where not working and the power top would not come down. The smart windows got a glitch, no you may not need to go to the dealer for them to reset it.
This is what I did with some experimenting.
1) First charge your battery in the car,
2) disconnect the battery lead to the battery
3) while waiting 5 minutes clean your terminals on battery
4) check your fluids, tire pressure and filter Just for the heck of it
5) reconnect terminals on your battery
6) get in car and gently close the door, the window as you know will be up to high, but this will trick your smart windows to think its in normal position with the door close
7) start your car and hopefully it as booted up to normal.
I did find the first time I did disconnect the battery for a few seconds , this did not work,
it did not clear the memory out of the system.
The other thing was the when I waited 5 minutes the radio station memory was not lost.
Don't rush it,
Good luck and please give me some feed back.
When connecting the battery make sure the doors are closed..
ericleatham likes this.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 06:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Window problems

Turbozak totally rules!

It was bad enough when a leak took out the AC. I've been saving up to fix it. Thank god it's a convertible.

Then I left the lights on, and suddenly the windows and top were stuck in the "up" position. I've been suffering for three weeks in up to 96 degree heat in a rolling sauna.

This is the third time I've seached on-line for a solution, and the first I had heard of this fix. I grabbed an adjustable wrench and ran outside to try it. Ten minutes later, I'm in airflow heaven.

Thanks again, Turbozak, may you live a thousand years!
Old 01 Jan 2011, 07:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Auto drop feature on driver's side is all that is not working on my 2005 Vert. Tried disconnecitng battery 3 times for 20 mins each. Tried removing apparently related fuses, no obvious issue there. Same problem continues. Why do doors have to be closed when batt is reconnected. Another thread said leave open to get rid of "charge." Any suggestions? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbozak View Post
Yes I had the same problem , the battery died, and I needed to jump start the car.
When I went to open the windows the windows where not working and the power top would not come down. The smart windows got a glitch, no you may not need to go to the dealer for them to reset it.
This is what I did with some experimenting.
1) First charge your battery in the car,
2) disconnect the battery lead to the battery
3) while waiting 5 minutes clean your terminals on battery
4) check your fluids, tire pressure and filter Just for the heck of it
5) reconnect terminals on your battery
6) get in car and gently close the door, the window as you know will be up to high, but this will trick your smart windows to think its in normal position with the door close
7) start your car and hopefully it as booted up to normal.
I did find the first time I did disconnect the battery for a few seconds , this did not work,
it did not clear the memory out of the system.
The other thing was the when I waited 5 minutes the radio station memory was not lost.
Don't rush it,
Good luck and please give me some feed back.
When connecting the battery make sure the doors are closed..
Old 02 Jan 2011, 10:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Are you in cold weather? is it possible that the window is frozen? is it only one window giving you a problem? Yes the door should be closed if the window is not coming down during the battery disconnect, yes keep the trunk open to discharge the battery, this reset works with a top problem too, if it does not open or close.
Did the car go threw a car wash, twice this happened because of moisture in the computer located by the brake pump, Good Luck
Old 02 Jan 2011, 10:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Miss read your problem, Do the smart windows go down, when you open the doors, if they do it might be a problem with air in the hydralic system,with the top, in the trunk their is a bleed screw on top of the trunk, unscrew a little and try the top for one or two seconds to get the air out,close the screw and try again to see if it works.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 02:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CRonMorgan

I'm not sure if my problem is the same as those above... I have an 02 Limited Edition with moon roof. I'm unfamiliar with this 'auto drop' feature others talk about. Perhaps, this feature was introduced in later years?

My two front windows do not operate (stuck closed). But the two rear windows do operate normally.

Three times I tried the solution that 'turbozak' kindly provided. (wait periods 10-20 min) But, still no help. I suspect that all 4 windows run through the same fuse, so that is not likely the problem. Is there another likely area to look at? Thanks.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 01:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No its not the same problem. your car does not have smart windows system, i do believe it does have two fuses for the windows, one for the back and one for the front. One set might be under the hood in the main fuse box.
Good Luck
Old 01 Dec 2015, 01:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Same issue here with the dead battery and power windows not working. When you say disconect the lead to the battery does that mean take it out? Or is there an easier way to disconnect the battery? Thanks!
Old 01 Dec 2015, 05:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Window problems

Disconnect the black wire of the negative battery terminal,usually it's the red wire, but it's safer to take off the negative wire for ten minutes, good luck