Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Convertible Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Anyone Lowered The Driver's Seat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2005, 01:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Anyone Lowered The Driver's Seat?

I test drove a GT conv last week and absolutely loved the car with one exception, I am 6'4" and my eyes are at the same height as the sun visor. This causes me to hunch down to lower my eyes so I can see stoplights etc. It wasn't noticeable at first but after a 15 min test drive my neck was straining.

2 questions:

- Is anyone else having this problem?
- If so, is there a way to lower the drivers seat? The dealer I am working with won't do it, say they can't alter the vehicle like that for liability reasons.

I looked all over the web and found plenty of people who would sell me a new seat that was lower but then it wouldn't match the original seats.

Oh yea, the seat I was in had the electric seat height adjustment and I had the seat lowered all the way down
Old 22 Aug 2007, 11:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Anyone Lowered The Driver's Seat?

I'm 6'6" and just moved the seat back about 1 1/2 inch, haven't figured out how to lower it, there's a support that runs all the way across the car and i didn't have the time to check it out a lot. But moving it back did help quite a bit.
Old 26 Aug 2007, 08:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I know I would like to sit lower. The "stilts" the seat is on are like 6 " high. That's kinda bugged me too. Sorry don't know what to do about it. It would be nice to get a couple more pumps lower with the seat height.
Old 07 Sep 2007, 01:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i had the same problem. all i did was to recline my seat.
That helped a bit.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 07:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The seat legs on the sub frame touching the floor has tall legs that can be CUT. Meaning they can be cut in the rear and the angle of the legs as it lowers will allow you to bolt them back together after drilling two holes in each leg that will let you install a nut and bolt. Make sure to get automotive grade 8 bolts and nylon nuts to keep safety.

You can do this to the front legs too but found only the rear legs needed done. This gave the lower seat section a nicer slant.

The only trade off: Less foot room to the rear occupants.

Not too bad on rear leg room in my opinion.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 08:40 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to fljohnboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAconcepts View Post
The seat legs on the sub frame touching the floor has tall legs that can be CUT. Meaning they can be cut in the rear and the angle of the legs as it lowers will allow you to bolt them back together after drilling two holes in each leg that will let you install a nut and bolt. Make sure to get automotive grade 8 bolts and nylon nuts to keep safety.

You can do this to the front legs too but found only the rear legs needed done. This gave the lower seat section a nicer slant.

The only trade off: Less foot room to the rear occupants.

Not too bad on rear leg room in my opinion.
Did you actually do this?
Old 03 Aug 2009, 02:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

YES: BUT: It was over a year ago and it was done with after market seats.

The STOCK seats use a bridge base and cannot be cut then made shorter!

We are currently working on making STOCK seat lower by re working the STOCK seat subframes.

I will keep you guys posted.

* We would have done this today but spend all weekend getting buddy out of jail. DOHH! Life throws you lemons some times.
Old 06 Aug 2009, 02:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

I'm 6'3" and have the same issue.

I remove the driver's visor and recline the seat some. I think the only reversible solution is to get a new seat (or maybe a non-power) and re-upholster it. $$$.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 02:27 pm
Young Cruiser

I may be the expert in this area. Cutting the front support eliminates the front seat's tendency to bend your legs up in the air. I eliminated that by cutting an inch from the front support. That lowered the seat where I felt I wasn't driving a truck. The next thing I did was take the upholstery off and using an electric knife removing a 3/4 inch wedge from the front of the seat to the mid point of the cushion. To take up the looseness of the upholstery I tied the upholstery to a point under the cushion. This was a great improvement.

That helped.

Now I'm replacing the seats with convertible seats from a BMW. I wanted more adjustments than the 05 Cruiser offered including powered lumbar and tilt. To get those to sit level I now have reduced the front riser to 4.25 inches. Amazing difference!

Mike
Old 12 Aug 2009, 09:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

I hate my powered seat, but it does allow me to be lower than most cruisers.

2008 Turbo Vert

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -- Ben Franklin, 1706-1790