Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser News and Rumors

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Chrysler to Offer New Cheaper GT Turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 May 2003, 04:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I ordered my GT last week. The only options I got were side air bags and auto. Everything that was standard on the GT, I was planning on getting, when I was looking at the PT’s last year. I would have liked to get the heated seats, but to get them; you had to get the leather seats, sunroof, and chrome wheels, which I did not want. I would have liked a choice on splitting the options on the leather package.
Old 09 May 2003, 05:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

I`m interesting in byuing turbo pt cruiser also, but we don´t have it here in Finland yet. You say it´s expensive there,
check these prizes...
I wonder what will be the price of turbo Pt ?

PT Cruiser 2.0 M5 Business 28800 €
PT Cruiser 2.0 M5 Touring Business 29510 €
PT Cruiser 2.0 A4 Business 30520 €
PT Cruiser 2.0 M5 30800 €
PT Cruiser 2.0 M5 Touring 31360 €
PT Cruiser 2.0 A4 32550 €
PT Cruiser 2.0 M5 Limited Business 34040 €
PT Cruiser 2.0 A4 Limited Autostick Business 35090 €
PT Cruiser 2.0 M5 Limited 36270
PT Cruiser 2.0 A4 Limited Autostick 37420 €
PT Cruiser 2.2 CRD M5 Touring Business 35010 €
PT Cruiser 2.2 CRD M5 Touring 37420 €

taken from the biggest chrysler dealer in Finland

some day...

j.m from Finland

Old 09 May 2003, 02:43 pm
Young Cruiser

I have always wanted my vehicles as lightly optioned as possible, generally for performance value. When I purchased my neon R/T in 1998, I insisted upon one without ANY options for best hp/weight ratio (and better price!).
So when the PT Turbo arrived, I had to have a 'strippo' model. Guess what? Only ONE could I find while searching throughout the entire U.S. The biggest problem was finding a 5-speed model; the ones I found all had a ton of options or packages on them like leather seats, sunroof, side airbags, etc. etc. So I ordered one two weeks ago from the factory in the color I wanted with zero options. Hopefully, it will be one of the quickest stock GTs on the road, until/if the rumored 'cheaper' GTs come . . .
Old 17 May 2003, 12:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Agreed, So much is standard on the GT, there's not much else needed. I did want a roof rack though! (not an option on GT. Arrgh!) Beware, get seat covers right away! The cloth seats are hard to clean. Enjoy!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Indynick

I ordered my GT last week. The only options I got were side air bags and auto. Everything that was standard on the GT, I was planning on getting, when I was looking at the PT’s last year. I would have liked to get the heated seats, but to get them; you had to get the leather seats, sunroof, and chrome wheels, which I did not want. I would have liked a choice on splitting the options on the leather package.
Blanes HoodStruts
etc.
Old 04 Jun 2003, 11:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to BC4BigMac

I just turned 18 and love my new Electric Blue Turbo. I was lucky enough to get all the options on my car, minus the roof rack. I just hope Chrysler finds a way to make production cheaper so they don't water down and decontent the current Turbo model too much. The GT is truly a great ride and I get excited just thinking about getting behind the wheel!

-Adam
Old 05 Jun 2003, 02:57 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:I just hope Chrysler finds a way to make production cheaper so they don't water down and decontent the current Turbo model too much.
I was recently told by the GM at the DC dealership where I purchased my car that the "new less expensive turbo" due out later this year as a 2004 model will be only 180hp. Production of the current GT Turbo model will continue according to him.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 05:28 pm
Young Cruiser

Just got off the phone with my dealer (the one I ordered my GT from--still awaiting delivery in a couple weeks). Says they confirmed what many of us already believed: a cheaper turbo model is on the way.
Apparently, the 180hp turbo engine will slot between the "base" cruiser and the GT Turbo models and be offered in the Touring and Limited models. Pricing will slot between the two top & bottom models as well.
In other news, the only other significant change he could point to was a new two-tone paint scheme.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 01:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mvandale

Just got off the phone with my dealer (the one I ordered my GT from--still awaiting delivery in a couple weeks). Says they confirmed what many of us already believed: a cheaper turbo model is on the way.
Apparently, the 180hp turbo engine will slot between the "base" cruiser and the GT Turbo models and be offered in the Touring and Limited models. Pricing will slot between the two top & bottom models as well.
In other news, the only other significant change he could point to was a new two-tone paint scheme.
Did your dealer tell you if the 180hp turbo contains the same 2.4L as in our turbos?

Just wondering if all they did was swap the PCM to further retard power output from the engine.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 01:54 pm
Young Cruiser

He said it was the "same engine" as the GT. Not sure how much cost savings they'll have (if that is their intent) by just 'detuning' the engine (read: PCM retarding), but undoubtedly the whole vehicle would have a lesser level of equipment such as read disks, power everything, bigger wheels/tires, etc. Plus, I suppose the detuning would allow safe running at 87 octane all the time . . .
Old 12 Jun 2003, 02:04 pm
Young Cruiser

I would venture a guess that the 180HP engine will be a non-intercooled version of the current motor. If they want to offer it at a lower cost they have to take some hardware out, just retunning for a lower power level does not save any money and removing the intercooler and associated plumbing is the simplest approach.

Chrysler did this before with what they used to refer to as turbo 1 (2.2 or 2.5l non-intercooled 150hp), turbo 2 (2.2 intercooled 175hp), turbo 3 (2.2 16 valve intercooled 225hp) and turbo 4 (2.2 intercooled with VNT turbo same 175hp as T2 but special turbo for lower rpm torque) motors.