Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser News and Rumors

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Chrysler ponders PT Cruiser Version 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jul 2006, 12:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I love my PT as is...a 2002...perfect size...5 speed is fair go-power...v-6...just would use more gas. But, it is hard to stop progress as it is all about money!
Old 07 Jul 2006, 06:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Progress? Yeah and DC is going to loose a lot of money in the North American market with their progress, screwing with the PT styling, platform change, no SRT PT. Why re-design a good thing when DC has ignored some of the most obviouse improvements that they could make with the PT.

I'm all for good German engineering, but German insight into what American's want, they know diddly. Have you seen their new diesel powered trucks, come on DC can do better than that to get fuel economy up. Smart Car, you've gotta be pretty dumb to get one of those. And you would think they would have come up with something better than reserecting Hemi engines to sell their vehicles. Now we've got a German Dr. Z telling us whats so hot about DC vehicles.

Changing the PT just takes the cake, a few years ago I thought the Daimler Benz and Chrysler merger would be a good thing, which is true in some respects, but now I'm really questioning what DC is rolling out these days. It seems like they are doing the same thing they do with all their German vehicles. More performance, more luxery, more diesel, more German, cold, calculating enginering, and no heart. Heart being the people that actually buy their cars, we have all made our PT's our own, and I for one would'nt mind buying another PT, but if it's the same old car with a different package on it then why on earth would I be interested in that. I'd be happy with the same package, but with more bang for the buck. So if there are any DC'ers out there reconsider your re-design of the PT and actually ask the American public what they want, rather than what you think they want, or what you want them to want.
03 Black PT GT: BTG Strut Tower Brace, BTG Rear Anti Sway Bar, Psi-Fi Control Arm Bushings, H&R Wheel Spacers, Mopar Stage 2 Coilovers, Yokohama AVS ES100, Stage 1, Uppper Charge Pipe, Mopar Plastc Manifold.
Mods On The Way: AGP Wastegate Actuator
Old 07 Jul 2006, 07:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Other thoughts: a 2 door coupe model (wouldn't a rumble seat be cool); a "grande touring" model with a trunk that extends a foot or so out past the rear window; and a pickup.
I also agree with andyn that in a Dodge arena the PT could stretch it's legs out from Chrysler. A two door coupe with rumble seats would be awesome. A real attempt at a hot rod would awesome. Under Dodge the PT could get all the SRT toys that the now de-funked Neon enjoyed.

Hard to see Dodge making room for the PT since they have a replacement in mind with the Caliber there. Come to think of it has anyone ever seen a Caliber on the road. I've only seen one and it's been available for a while now. Which is funny since I've seen at least 5 new PT's on the road. The love for the PT is still there and to ignore it is stupidity on DC's part.
03 Black PT GT: BTG Strut Tower Brace, BTG Rear Anti Sway Bar, Psi-Fi Control Arm Bushings, H&R Wheel Spacers, Mopar Stage 2 Coilovers, Yokohama AVS ES100, Stage 1, Uppper Charge Pipe, Mopar Plastc Manifold.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 12:05 am
Young Cruiser

ignorent question if you don't mind:

is the GT then a better engine situation not a body / package style?

Old 11 Jul 2006, 03:32 am
Cool Cruiser

No such thing as an ignorant question. Yes the PT GT is really a performance upgrade than a car styling change. The 06' NA PT 150 hp, PT Limited 180 hp, PT GT HO 230 hp, convertibles also have three performance models 150 hp, 180 hp, 230 hp. All models have slight styling differences and if you ask me if you go with the high end GT and GT convertible you will get the nicest styling. I have an 03' PT GT, Black, Chrome rims, Leather heated seats, Sun Roof, Sirius satalite radio, the works. Personally I am totally happy with this PT and I still get compliments on how nice the PT is. Adults like the style, kid's like the style, and the car still gets parked in the VIP section of valet parking, right next to the Porsches and Range Rovers. Top of the line PT's have all the style, comfort and utility a person could need.

Although the styling cues on a PT GT compaired to a NA PT are suttle, they are easy to point out, a 14,000 is easy to tell the difference compared to a 24,000 PT GT. Same thing goes with the convertible models. The materials in the 14,000 NA PT are just that cheaper, more plastic, fabric seats, steel wheels or hub caps, not as refined. Then again if you can't tell the difference in the first place than it really should'nt matter to you. Save 10,000 on you PT purchase and enjoy the vehicle that you have.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 08:48 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Victoria

ignorent question if you don't mind:

is the GT then a better engine situation not a body / package style?
Victoria,

The GT is a BIG engine improvement. It takes a modest 150 HP engine and boosts its power up to 230 HP! It is still a 2.4 liter engine, but it is turbo-charged.

You need three basic ingredients to run an engine:
1) Fuel (gas)
2) Air
3) Fire (spark)

It is easy to force more fuel in to an engine with the fuel pump and injectors. But if there isn't enough oxygen in the engine the fuel doesn't all get burned up, and you waste gas.

A turbo charger uses the exhaust from the engine to turn a turbine which is used to force more air in to the engine. With more air available, we can force more fuel in too. That yields a much more powerful engine.

To give you an idea of how that compares with other cars:
The 215 HP 2003 PT Cruiser GT (stock) can do 0-60 in 6.8 seconds
http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2210a.shtml
(The 2006 PT Cruiser GT was upgraded to 230 HP)

A 1982 Ferrari 308 GTB/Si Quattrovalvole - 6.8 sec.
http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=52&i=9840

A 2006 V6 Mitsubishi Eclipse (their fastest Eclipse ever) does it in 6.7 sec.
http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2503b.shtml

http://www.pbase.com/robinjoe/pt_cruiser
Old 12 Jul 2006, 01:50 am
Young Cruiser

I have a 2001.

I have only one wish, thats that it had more "pick up"

Once I'm hauling, she REALLY goes...

well, cept if I have on the a/c.

I prefer the retro PT style to the new PT style. I like my color, I don't ever want to change, but...

its become a bigger issue since I moved to a more crowded city with drivers up your bum.
Old 12 Jul 2006, 04:49 am
Cool Cruiser

Totally agree with you Victoria, a vehicle in an urban city needs to be parkable and manuverable to get around town. Here in SF street parking is always an issue, so the smaller your car the easier it is to get a parking space. But you don't want to go as small as a Smart Car since you wouldn't be able to haul anything. On occasion I'll load up eight foot 2x4's and stack some sheets of dry wall on a roof rack, at the local Home Depot. I've even hauled a 12 foot trailer loaded with a ton of bamboo plants. So there's the utility and practicality, then in the evening just clean it up and it's ready for a night on the town.

As for getting more hp from your 01' PT try some of the aftermarket upgrades to increase power for better hauling capacity. Check out you local PT Cruiser club for mechanical help, lot's of friendly people in the cruiser crowd.