Advertisements
Some vehicles are marketed for senior citizens

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2007, 07:40 pm
Administrator

Default Some vehicles are marketed for senior citizens

Some vehicles are marketed for senior citizens

Is there such a thing as the perfect vehicle for an older driver -- someone who is either retired or approaching that stage in life?

Almost certainly not, but regular reader input on this topic prompts a closer look at the market.

Of course, when people retire, their vehicle choices tend to narrow a little because after all, even a generous "fixed income" encourages a reasonably thrifty view of auto-buying.

On the other hand, there are people who take retirement as an opportunity to buy "the car they always promised themselves" and go for a big Mercedes-Benz, BMW or Cadillac.

As far as vehicles go, many retired people opt for practicality over style and "flash." They like to have a vehicle that can be put to use now and again to ferry grandchildren, nieces and nephews and other close relatives around -- not to mention gear for more leisurely vacations.

In cases like this, a five-door hatchback such as a Volkswagen Rabbit, Nissan Versa, Toyota Matrix-Pontiac Vibe, Suzuki SX4, Chevrolet Malibu Max and HHR, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Ford Focus, Honda Fit, Hyundai Elantra, Toyota Yaris, Mazda3 or the nifty new 2008 Subaru Impreza might be just the right combination of economy, roominess and price.

On the other hand, there are more premium four-door hatchbacks around now than there used to be including the Mercedes-Benz B-Class, Audi A3 and Volvo C30. Sometimes, there's no better answer than a minivan or small SUV.

Manufacturers know that a huge market exists among older consumers -- especially those with money freed up by a family home sale when the kids finally flee the nest. Older people often buy cars that automakers target towards young buyers, prompting some observers to conclude that advertising agencies have been far too fixated on the youth market in recent years.

Source: Canada.com

Old 11 Aug 2007, 07:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Some vehicles are marketed for senior citizens

yes sir, that's why I bought my darling little PT Cruiser.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 04:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Gotta admit, thinking of older people was part of the equation when I got my baby (2003 Limited, Electric Blue w/woody panels and beautiful, if I do say so myself).

My previous car was a '91 Honda CRX: little two-seater pocket rocket, lots of fun and great gas milage. But: that sucker WAS a bit low to the ground, and I'm not getting any younger...... yeah, it was starting to get tougher to get in and especially OUT of that thing!

Time to replace it rolled around, that, plus getting my aging parents (Dad with a cane, Mom with a walker) in and out of a vehicle easily and safely were major considerations. First attracted to the Cruiser for its looks (okay: yes, so I'm shallow: I fell in love with a pretty face!), then found it had great Consumer Reports ratings. On one test drive, I made sure to 'test drive' whether or not the folks could get in and out, went back and told the dealer SOLD.

Almost five years later, the parents are no longer a consideration (both are gone now), but I find the height of the Cruiser sills and seats matter more and more to me. She looks great, drives great (never had any worse problems than a flat tire), and I expect we'll be Cruisin' together for years to come. What more can you ask for?
Old 12 Aug 2007, 04:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybluewoody View Post

My previous car was a '91 Honda CRX: little two-seater pocket rocket, lots of fun and great gas mileage.

Time to replace it rolled around, that, plus getting my aging parents (Dad with a cane, Mom with a walker) in and out of a vehicle easily and safely were major considerations.

Now there's a site to behold. You, Dad w/cane, Mom w/walker all bunched up in a 2 seater CRX.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 07:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Would you be gullible enough to believe I just shoved Mom and her walker in back, and left the hatch open for her?
rob342 likes this.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 07:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That's sick. You could have at least let mom have the passenger seat and shove dad in back!
Old 12 Aug 2007, 07:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Would you believe she got the hatch 'cause her walker took up too much space in front?
Old 13 Aug 2007, 07:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
yes sir, that's why I bought my darling little PT Cruiser.
You got that right Carey..

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 13 Aug 2007, 08:09 am
Senior Cruiser

I TRIED strappin' her to the roof (lots of fresh air, doncha know), but she'd complain too much. Kept wackin' the roof with that walker: she was starting to chip the paint, fer crying out loud!
Old 13 Aug 2007, 05:12 pm
Administrator

in my opinion i think probably the retro look + the great interior space are the attraction.