PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 PT Cruiser Model Information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2003, 07:32 pm
Administrator

Default 2004 PT Cruiser Model Information

New For 2004
New 2.4-liter turbo with 180-horsepower (134 kW), 210 lb.-ft. (285 Nm), and four-speed automatic transaxle powertrain option, available on Touring and Limited models. Includes special power-assisted disc/drum brakes and large-diameter chrome exhaust tip

New exterior colors:
Deep Plum Pearl Coat replaces Deep Cranberry Pearl Coat; Bright Seamist Green Metallic Clear Coat replaces Steel Blue Pearl Coat; Cool Vanilla Clear Coat replaces Stone White Clear Coat

Sirius Satellite Radio Receiver option available on all models; includes 1-year subscription

UConnect Hands-Free Communication Option (late availability) on Touring, Limited and PT Turbo models

Liftgate-mounted spoiler: optional on Base, Touring and Limited; Standard on PT Turbo

Chrome Accent Group expanded with leather-wrapped steering wheel with Bright Silver painted spokes and bright pedal package

New 16-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheel for 2.4-liter Turbo applications

Power to the People: 180 Horsepower Turbo Engine Offers Another Powerful Option for 2004 PT Cruiser

A new 180-horsepower (134 kW) turbocharged engine option lets the Chrysler PT Cruiser deliver yet another power punch. This latest engine option joins the 150-horsepower (112 kW) 2.4-liter naturally aspirated engine and the 220-horsepower (164 kW) High Output turbocharged engine to round out the 2004 PT Cruiser engine family.

As a stand-alone option, the new 180-horsepower engine adds a mid-level choice that’s perfect for customers wanting something in between the naturally aspirated engine and the full PT Turbo performance package.

"Just as our High Output turbo engine pumped up the performance on the PT Turbo model last year, this new 180-horsepower version will provide more punch to an already fun-to-drive vehicle," said Larry Lyons, Vice President — Small Vehicle Product Team Engineering, DaimlerChrysler Corporation.

This new turbocharged 2.4-liter engine also delivers 210 lb.-ft. (285 N•m) of torque. Available as an option on the Touring Edition and Limited Edition PT Cruiser models, the engine package includes a four-speed automatic transaxle. A body-color front fascia with larger lower opening, a unique "2.4L Turbo" liftgate badge, large diameter chrome exhaust tip and new 16-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheels distinguish 180-horsepower-equipped models from the others in the 2004 PT Cruiser lineup.

"The new 180-horsepower engine option continues the PT Cruiser’s reputation as the coolest, most unique car available at a great value," said Tom Marinelli, Vice President — Chrysler Brand.

PT Cruiser’s unique styling and great packaging make it a standout on Chrysler dealer lots. "It’s a vehicle that has helped the Chrysler brand’s upscale momentum over the last years, and new options like the 180-horsepower engine will make it appeal to an even broader customer base," said Marinelli.

Customization Continues

Continuing the PT Cruiser phenomenon of customization, the Chrome Accents option originally introduced for the 2003 model year has been expanded for 2004. This option adds bright pedals and a new leather-wrapped steering wheel with Satin Silver painted spokes to all of the features in the previous package (a chrome/body-color front fascia, chrome bodyside moldings, a chrome exhaust tip, a bright fuel filler door, chrome door lock knobs, front door sill scuff plates with bright winged logo inserts, a chrome shifter bezel on automatic transaxle vehicles and a Satin Silver shift ball).

"As we saw firsthand at our first company-sponsored owners’ event last September, PT Cruiser owners love to personalize their PTs with everything from stars and stripes to cartoon characters," said Marinelli. "We’re happy to support that phenomenon with customized packages of our own that are backed by the company’s full warranty."

The expanded Chrome Accent group joins the ever-growing PT Cruiser lineup, which to date has included the Flame, Woodie, Dream Cruiser Series 1, PT Turbo and Dream Cruiser Series 2 v
Old 17 Jan 2004, 11:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

how many guys have the 180 turbo model?? and how does it compare to the base model?? just curious
Old 17 Jan 2004, 01:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobs turbo pt

how many guys have the 180 turbo model?? and how does it compare to the base model?? just curious
Not yet, but I want one, and I'll share my reasoning - I'd get the "beefier" turbo engine "innards", but they'd be less stressed. It'd be cheaper to buy than a GT (always a factor). It'd give me more torque than I have now for hills, etc., and uses regular gas. I really can't get more speeding tickets... All cars are compromises - the Turbo "lite" is a compromise that appeals to me.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Feb 2004, 01:02 am
Young Cruiser

It's great! Though not a rocket like the GT, power is more than adequate, unlike the 150 horse model that my dealer generously let me take home overnight. I came back and told the salesman;"no turbo - no deal". Insurance would have been too high on the GT, so it was out. I ended up with 4 discs, sunroof, spoiler and more personality than I could have hoped for, all for just over 20K! Getting back to the comparison, I found that I had to really push the N/A engine to get up to highway speed. Pulling out into traffic on our rural 55mph two lane roads requires a commitment to keep from being someone elses hood ornament, the 180hp engine makes it easy. The frosting on the cake is the mileage, low of 22 over the first 1700 miles!
Old 17 Apr 2004, 02:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobs turbo pt

Just got a '04 Touring with 180hp turbo. No insurance increase. Premium fuel not required. All the heavy duty stuff as the 220hp turbo. Externial trans oil cooler, liquid to liquid engine oil intercooler, oil spray to piston crowns (for cooling), charge air intercooler. Thru mountain passes to 8,500ft no problem. Too few miles (2,400) for accurate mileage check, but looking good. I've waited a long time for this combination.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 09:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Hey guys, I have a 2004 GT, and I can tell you the power is awesome! I had a 2001 PT Touring Edition which unfortunately burned due to the new recall about the power steering hoses being defective and causing an engine fire. The GT was only a couple of thousand more than a new turbo touring edition, and it's a BIG difference! I just broke it in, and have taught a couple of honda civics a lesson in power and respect. Japanese cars are the best, huh? Take that american power!
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior