PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
50 Ugliest Cars of the Past 50 Years

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jun 2011, 03:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 50 Ugliest Cars of the Past 50 Years

I am old...I remember all the hideous contraptions of yesteryear....The Gremlin wasn't near as bad as many of the other offerings (Offerings to the Gods of Ugly?) from AMC, like the AMC Pacer, a Glass Army helmet with wheels, or the absolute frightening AMC Matador...WOW!...looks sorta like it was crushed at the factory by a Monster Truck. The Edsel Ford was famous of course for it's level of unpleasant visuals, but in retrospect, against the backdrop of other 1950's era cars, it doesn't stand out as especially awful to the eyes.

Many of the cars from France were terrible to behold like the late seventies "Le Car"...French for Le Crap, but the 1960's 2CV takes the cake..Well maybe the Citroen DS. I think the Citroen DS was a collaborative design effort by Pablo Picaso and Dr. Suess...Anyway....

Almost all of the 1961Chrysler Plymouth Dodge line should win a prize for the first entire line of cars with horizontal fins!...Thank god this lasted only 2 model years. Speaking of short-lived trends, (1980 to 1985) The Bustle-Back Caddys (Caddilac Seville Elegante') mentioned earlier were actually considered quite stylish when they were introduced, and were copied by both Lincoln for thier mid-1980's continental, AND by Chrysler for the Imperial Coupe. A beautiful car totally based on the Dodge Mirada....(Dad had a Dodge Dealership back then, I remember those cars with a great fondness) The slope back was an attempt at aerodynamics when the Caddy's and Lincolns were famous for having the drag coefficient of a refrigerator.

Of course, to me, the ugliest car ever has to be the Chevy HHR. A shameful and horrible rip-off of an aesthetically perfect car, the PT Cruiser. While the PT Cruiser has all the appeal, and many of the classic lines as the 1937 Ford four door, the HHR is just lame. Yes I know the same fella designed both cars, but the HHR just somehow misses the mark and feels like a cheap copy. Not a cheap copy of the Chevy Panel Wagons of the 1950's it's intending to imitate, but a cheap and loveless copy of the PT cruiser. From it's frowning grill to it's bloated body, the Ceverolet HHR is definitely a first degree visual assault......Maybe I am a tad biased as a Mopar guy. :-) My apologies if I have offended any HHR fans.....I had one as a renta car last year...I hated it.

Sincerely,

Col. Robert E. Hogan
Old 06 Jun 2011, 02:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Of course the HHR looks like a ripoff. Because it is. GM couldn't stand Chrysler's success with the PT so they stole the designer and cranked out their own.

I drove one for about 6 months. They're not bad wagons... lots of usable cargo space... and I'll drive anything that doesn't look like another sheeple sedan (Civic, Corolla, Accord, Camry, etc.). Also, watch out for the SS versions. They are just as much sleepers as the PT GT is.
Old 08 Jun 2011, 02:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

could you please post a picture of the cars? I would like to see how ugly that cars would be.... If that's what you say....
Old 08 Jun 2011, 04:37 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbullock View Post
could you please post a picture of the cars? I would like to see how ugly that cars would be.... If that's what you say....
The link to the pictures is given in the very first post.

Sadly no longer with my 2003 Silver PT Cruiser Limited Auto

now a 2013 Polaris White Jaguar XF PL
Old 08 Jun 2011, 05:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaineMan View Post
Of course the HHR looks like a ripoff. Because it is. GM couldn't stand Chrysler's success with the PT so they stole the designer and cranked out their own.
Let's get real this dates back Years for Chevy and GM. in the Late 50's early 60's they copied several of Fords Vehicles.

The Nova was a rip on the Falcon/Galaxy platform

The El Camino was a rip on the Ranchero platform

They tried to say that the Suburban was the First SUV but International was cranking out MPV in the late 40's early fifties.

GM has not had an original idea since the 1920's

If guns kill people, spoons make people fat.
Old 08 Jun 2011, 05:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

you are aware that ole Hennery worked at GM first arnt you ( yes im a Chevy Guy)
Old 09 Jun 2011, 11:09 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguath View Post
GM has not had an original idea since the 1920's
I love ridiculous and uninformed bias.

What do you call Corvette?

What do you call the new Volt?

I'm not a huge GM fan myself, especially since all this bailout mess. But to say they haven't had an original idea in going on a century is totally out of line.
Old 21 Sep 2013, 04:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
The idiot has the Prowler on the list, too.

Ford Taurus..

DeLorean

Chevette

Volvo 240

New Beetle

El Camino (!)

Ferrari Enzo..

all are on this clown's list. Wonder what he drives.....
I believe he drive a YUGO
Old 01 Nov 2013, 11:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This thread brings back some memories! I too can admit to having 'louvres' once (Datson 280z weef zee Wankel). That was one silly little car, in retrospect...

(just like this, minus the stripes...)
Old 02 Nov 2013, 08:38 am
Senior Cruiser

The 280 was much sought after up here in 70's or '80 , just conveyed a sense of exotic among the typical boat offerings of the big 3.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.