Advertisements
Chrysler in Europe to be killed off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Dec 2009, 11:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Chrysler in Europe to be killed off

Saw this on a UK site.

Chrysler killed off in Europe - Autocar.co.uk

I always was impressed by the fan base in Europe and Australia for the PT - well, those days are gone.
It appears that Fiat is solely using Chrysler to re-enter the US market and cares not a damn for the fate of Chrysler.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Dec 2009, 01:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Chrysler in Europe to be killed off

That's too bad... Fiat was probably only interested in leveraging the Jeep brand internationally.

But this was encouraging:

"Chrysler says it has already completely re-thought its quality processes in reaction to what it admitted were unacceptable standards over the last few years. The company is also reorganising its manufacturing systems and overhauling its factories."

2010 Classic in Deepwater Blue w/Grey Interior
2008 Bullitt Mustang #901

Last edited by cdynaco; 08 Dec 2009 at 01:40 pm.
Old 08 Dec 2009, 02:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdynaco View Post
..."Chrysler says it has already completely re-thought its quality processes in reaction to what it admitted were unacceptable standards over the last few years.
I thought they had this problem since the early 70s

Funny that they have to explain themselves quality-wise to Fiat though!

I wonder if they'll end up killing Chrysler in the US eventually too. Sad to see the old makes fall by the wayside.

Pete
Old 08 Dec 2009, 05:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePT View Post

Funny that they have to explain themselves quality-wise to Fiat though!
That cracked me up!
Old 25 Dec 2009, 11:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: Chrysler in Europe to be killed off

I thought when Daimler bought into Chrysler they stopped the lines and delayed the first PT Cruisers because of quality issues? The quote doesn't tell us if the "unacceptable standards" = too low or too high. Maybe they want to lower the standard ?
Old 13 Feb 2010, 12:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

The big question is can Fiat save the Chrysler name, because honestly I know Fiat isn't in the US but can anyone even name a Fiat made car they want to drive? Or even name one without looking it up?

I really thought when Daimler bought them they would really change and they did come up with some great cars and pushed the HEMI which was a strong selling point but the timing was wrong while gas prices were going up they introducing cars and trucks with Hemi engines.

The Germans should have started sticking fuel efficient diesel engines in the cars and trucks like the PT. I know that they had one in Europe in the PT but not here.

Chrysler really hurt itself by never owning up to design problems in the six cylinder engines in cars like the Sebring. The engine produces sludge and your engine seizes even with people who take care and do all the maintenance. But they kept making the engine with the same problem.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 07:54 pm
Young Cruiser

I dont think they would dismantle Chrysler in the U.S.; especially not now with all the re-designing they have done with certain models. I mean look at the new Chrysler 300, Chrysler Sebring/200, Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Compass, Dodge Durango, & Dodge Charger. These re-designs have made them look better, run better, and better built. Thus they are selling better.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 09:15 am
Cool Cruiser

I am betting that Chrysler in the US will be replaced by Fiat/Lancia/Alfa. Marichonne has been very vocal for years about wanting to bring those brands to the US, and buying Chrysler is his chance.

Fiat acquired stake Chrysler and is rapidly taking complete control of the entire company. They want access to Chrysler's US plants and dealer network... and if Chrysler is 100% owned by Fiat you can kiss the UAW and their crippling labor contracts goodbye, which will help them to be competitive against the import brands that don't employ union labor.

As it stands Chrysler only has two models... and the 300 is the only one that's worth a crap. All the reviews of the 200 report that it is a reskinned Sebring, in other words junk. Chrysler as a whole has no C-segment car (Focus, Civic, Cruze, Corolla, etc.) and no B-segment car (Fit, Fiesta, Sonic, Yaris, etc.) so it's not even competing in two of the largest segments of the market. The time is right for Fiat to bring over a number of its European products, and once they boot the UAW out they can start building them in US factories at competitive rates.

Dodge may be tossed out as well. Durango and Charger are the only things they are standing on right now. I believe the Ram trucks were split off from Dodge so Dodge itself could be disposed of without affecting them.

Jeep won't be going anywhere, the brand has too much equity and history to be disposed of.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 09:16 pm
Young Cruiser

RaineMan.....I dont think that Dodge will be tossed out. They have more than the Durango, and the Charger. They also have the Avenger which is pretty popular, and you can't forget the Challenger or the Viper.

With Jeep I think they will be returning as the Military choice.

I also think that even though Fiat is taking over Chrysler; they won't be totally dismantling the company. It may be downsized, but not totally dismantled. Fiat will of course bring in their cars, but they may make Chrysler copies of their models. I think it will be awesome for them to totally dismantle the UAW and Labor Contracts with the company. The UAW is what is killing the American companies.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 09:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

I couldnt see them dismantling the whole chrysler brand. Maybe the chrysler name as a mid lux brand, but yes dodge, jeep, etc would stay.

They could kill the less popular models like, jeep liberty, jeep patriot, etc and keep the big names, charger, grand caravan, wrangler, grand cherokee, and the like.

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com