Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser News and Rumors

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dangerous problem with PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Dec 2011, 03:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Dangerous problem with PT Cruiser

I haven't read every word of every posting but we had exactly the same problem and the dealer service repaired it. I have a max care policy so the two weeks it stayed in the service department, 190 miles of road testing, hours of labor, emails back and forth to Star Support and the three parts were covered under the policy. My story is posted under Catastrophic Electrical Failure on this forum.
Old 31 Dec 2011, 04:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Dangerous problem with PT Cruiser

I have had similar problems on 2 Dodge Rams. The culprit is the wiring connections in the steering column. My newest Ram, an '06, did the same thing with all the warning lights, bells, ding-dings, gauges all dropping to zero. It is because I use my tilt wheel every time I get in or out. It is my understanding that there isn't a lot of slack in the harness and fatigue eventually causes the connection to fail. I was also told that some of the signals to the ECU are channeled through the column. If the connections are bad, the computer gets false or no information, so it goes into limp mode or the engine stumbles badly. My '97 actually had to have a section of wire spliced in the column. My '06 cost $518 to track down and repair.

The tilt wheel in the PT isn't nearly as articulate as on the Ram, but it still might be a problem.
Old 31 Dec 2011, 05:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
The tilt wheel in the PT isn't nearly as articulate as on the Ram, but it still might be a problem.

We've had owners come with radio and and dash problems and it was traced to the wiring harness running down the steering column. The harness would stretch or be pulled from it's connection as the wheel was tilted. Not an easy thing to trace down.
Old 02 Jan 2012, 06:33 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Had a very similar experience recently with a total lack of power and a reluctance to rev freely. Analysis of the black box identified a failed camshaft sensor - once replaced all was well.

Has your vehicle been fault diagnosed as the black box holds all electrical fail data. I would have thought this to be the first step taken.

Sadly no longer with my 2003 Silver PT Cruiser Limited Auto

now a 2013 Polaris White Jaguar XF PL
Old 02 Jan 2012, 05:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

It is the ignition switch module in the column.

So you have two choices buy the part, about 40$ at dealer and an hour to change, or contact Perry Mason and maybe win a low suit to force Daimler Benz to fix your Chrysler

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue