Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser News and Rumors

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dangerous problem with PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Nov 2011, 10:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Dangerous problem with PT Cruiser

My PT Cruiser's warning lights started blinking rapidly and my speedometer started going up and down. I rapidly lost speed from 40 to 0 and just managed to get off the road.

For anyone who is also experiencing this dangerous problem please go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to report it. Numerous people have already, but the more people who do the more likelihood that a recall will be put on the issue and we won't get the run around from Chrysler anymore. They will have to research the issue and fix this life threatening problem.
Old 02 Nov 2011, 10:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Dangerous problem with PT Cruiser

it is gonna be hard to get Chrysler to recall a car that is out of production Im all for reporting it and hoep for the best but this is the First time i have ever heard of a PT doping this and there have been a LOT of post about Pts on this site
Old 02 Nov 2011, 10:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: Dangerous problem with PT Cruiser

I suggest googling "PT Cruiser dashboard going crazy". I found one website where 50 people had the same problem. There have already been several people who have reported the problem.

Whether Chrysler is still producing a car or not. They are responsible for correcting a dangerous issue with one of their cars. I'm just glad I wasn't on the interstate doing 70, because I could have well been killed.

Instead I was on my way home from duty on a Sunday morning and not to many people were on the road. God was definitely looking out for me.
Old 02 Nov 2011, 10:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

HEy Im not disagreeing but I have been on several PT sites mostly this one and yes we have some who say there dash has issues but its not like the wheel bearings or the MFS these are well documated issues and chrysler has never done anything to correct them and im pretty sure they are not going to do anything
Old 02 Nov 2011, 11:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Wink Re: Dangerous problem with PT Cruiser

Unfortunately posting to a forum website and posting to the Federal Government website that is in charge of investigating dangerous issues is two different things. It would be nice if the government monitored websites for faulty cars but they don't. Instead they create a website where you must go to report issues!
Old 02 Nov 2011, 11:28 am
Young Cruiser

With 1.35 million worldwide sales of the PT Cruiser, 50 instances of product failure are not enough to require a recall.

If this was true then just about every car on the road would bee in place for a recall of some form or another.

If this was true then just about every product should bee put in place for a recall of some form or another.

there is what in the business world is call an amount of acceptable failure. Also known as a failure rate.

Corporations such as Chrysler have an entire legal team that does nothing but look at the Risk Assessment Factors. They determine whether a failure rte above a certain percentage will be found and if so what the appropriate course of action should be.

If guns kill people, spoons make people fat.
Old 02 Nov 2011, 12:13 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

IMO, I don't see a life threatening problem...OK, your car just turned off and you have to pull over? Doesn't this happen when you run out of gas also? Or your alternator or fuel pump dies? Or when you blow up a tire?
What I'm saying is that with any car you may experience a similar problem but as a driver you ALWAYS have to be ready for the unexpected.
Old 02 Nov 2011, 12:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

brenchen,

I'm sorry this happened to you but as already said, this is the first instance of the Pt dropping from 40 to 0 with the other things that went with it. Mine dropped almost that fast starting about 80 mph but it turned out to be the Camshaft sensor wiring. Speedometer went down as I was loosing power but not haywire as yours did. Other owners have reported funny acting gauges but not the engine problem to go with it. Sometimes it's the battery.

Did you find out what caused your problem? Did anyone go over your car with a scanner to see if everything is in specs? Did it start up again later or did you have to tow it home? Sounds like a major electrical problem that has to be traced down to the fault. Waiting for Chrysler to so something might be a long wait.

One more thing. Once you post a topic, there's no reason to post the same thing all over the forum. It's highlighted as a new topic for everyone to see. The others have been deleted.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 02 Nov 2011 at 12:24 pm.
Old 02 Nov 2011, 03:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross

Similar thing happened to me but that's because the engine seized due to my PT taking flight in the desert a few months prior.
Old 02 Nov 2011, 04:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Modern (Not sure if PT does this) regulators shut off alternator momentarily to get a battery sense
(or so I understand)
If cables come loose, alternators aren't 'self exciting,' so engine immediately dies.

I do know there was a recall as some (GM?) car's sensor would fail on acceleration; you'd pull out in front of another car, and then engine would stall!!

Lots and lots of problems with engines just dying in many makes and models for multiple reasons over decades, that in itself isn't directly dangerous.
If it were, just about every car could be recalled for some reason.