PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 Touring bucks while idling

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Nov 2013, 07:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2004 Touring bucks while idling

I bought an 04 with 93K miles at an auction for $1,900. Came with a P0172 code and bucked when idling. Replaced a bunch of stuff including:
ABS Absorber
Water Pump
Tensioner
MAP sensor
PCV Valve
Thermostat
Air filter
Both 02 sensors

Got a tune up (including plugs & wires) and coolant flush.

Still bucks badly, and seems to be getting worse. Code 0172. Plus there is an exhaust smell in the car while driving.

Took it to a new mechanic who said it was not timed right when the PCV valve was replaced. Off by 1/2 tooth. He'd charge $790 labor to get it back in time. This mechanic comes with good references from a local auto parts store (they use him exclusively for their vehicles). He charged nothing to check.

Took it back to the mechanic who changed the PCV valve. He said it wouldn't even run if it was out of time. He said he was sure it was timed right. But he did say when he put on the PCV valve (or something) he saw the timing belt had been replaced. He charged $20 and said he did a compression check that showed it needed a valve job ($1,690). He said the prior owner probably experienced a timing belt break that ruined the valves. Now I read on here that my car has a non-interface engine and valves don't get ruined by timing belt breaks.

I am at my wits end and don't know what to do or who to believe. I don' have much money left and want to fix what's really wrong or just try to get rid of a car that bucks. I won't get any of my $2,800 back.

What to do? Does anyone have a PT mechanic in Hampton Roads VA? I have thought of taking it to a Chrysler dealer to find out exactly what is wrong. ANY help is appreciated!
~C

Last edited by hanna48669; 03 Nov 2013 at 07:25 am.
Old 03 Nov 2013, 08:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 Touring bucks while idling

...about the timing belt. YES, it's a non-interference engine which means when the belt breaks, the valves can't hit the piston tops and cause major internal damage BUT if the engine happens to be at high speed when the belt broke, the free wheeling opposing valves can hit each other. It doesn't happen but about 1% of the time in fact I think we've only heard of the valves hitting in one or two cases out of hundreds that have come to the forum.
Busted_PT likes this.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 03 Nov 2013 at 08:41 am.
Old 03 Nov 2013, 03:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: 2004 Touring bucks while idling

Sorry to hear your having so many problems with your 'auction' PT.......I also got my PT from an auction,but so far most of my problems were cosmetic;I did have to replace the battery,and use some starter fluid,to get it fired up after sitting for a year in impound,before the auction.
Old 03 Nov 2013, 06:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Smile Re: 2004 Touring bucks while idling

Did you check the cat? the exhaust smell makes me think to check it. I had a car that had one plugged.
And it also got hot and had a smell. Worth a check!
PTpreacher
Old 03 Nov 2013, 07:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the responses. Will check the things you suggest. I am SO thankful for this forum!
~C
Old 03 Nov 2013, 07:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna48669 View Post
I bought an 04 with 93K miles at an auction for $1,900. Came with a P0172 code and bucked when idling. Replaced a bunch of stuff including:
ABS Absorber
Water Pump
Tensioner
MAP sensor
PCV Valve
Thermostat
Air filter
Both 02 sensors

Got a tune up (including plugs & wires) and coolant flush.

Still bucks badly, and seems to be getting worse. Code 0172. Plus there is an exhaust smell in the car while driving.

Took it to a new mechanic who said it was not timed right when the PCV valve was replaced. Off by 1/2 tooth. He'd charge $790 labor to get it back in time. This mechanic comes with good references from a local auto parts store (they use him exclusively for their vehicles). He charged nothing to check.

Took it back to the mechanic who changed the PCV valve. He said it wouldn't even run if it was out of time. He said he was sure it was timed right. But he did say when he put on the PCV valve (or something) he saw the timing belt had been replaced. He charged $20 and said he did a compression check that showed it needed a valve job ($1,690). He said the prior owner probably experienced a timing belt break that ruined the valves. Now I read on here that my car has a non-interface engine and valves don't get ruined by timing belt breaks.

I am at my wits end and don't know what to do or who to believe. I don' have much money left and want to fix what's really wrong or just try to get rid of a car that bucks. I won't get any of my $2,800 back.

What to do? Does anyone have a PT mechanic in Hampton Roads VA? I have thought of taking it to a Chrysler dealer to find out exactly what is wrong. ANY help is appreciated!
~C
You said you replaced water pump. That is driven by the timing belt. So if the timing is off. That's when it happened. You can't get it off by 1/2 tooth. Just is not physically possible. So run from that guy. You can only get off one full tooth at a time. Yes they will run. Just not well. So, unimpressed by either these guys.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Nov 2013, 11:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: 2004 Touring bucks while idling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
You said you replaced water pump. That is driven by the timing belt. So if the timing is off. That's when it happened. You can't get it off by 1/2 tooth. Just is not physically possible. So run from that guy. You can only get off one full tooth at a time. Yes they will run. Just not well. So, unimpressed by either these guys.
That's where I'd put my money down.....Whoever did the water pump & tensioner replacement,got the timing belt off......I think you should take it back to them,and tell them to double check it;Might not hurt to print this page,and show it to them.
If it's correct,it should look exactly like the photos below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Even leaving everything in place,there is still room for error when installing a new belt.....It can end up off when you tighten the new belt,and if your off by even ONE tooth/notch,it can cause it to be out of timing(even seasoned auto-techs get it wrong)......The best pictures we have on alignment for the timing belt install are these right here:

Everything needs to be lined up EXACTLY as seen in these photos.Photos courtesy of Busted_PT
Old 17 Nov 2013, 06:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all this great information! I have reviewed all posts/suggestions. Also took it to a Chrysler dealer who performed some diagnostics. His response: "Turbo assy cracked. $2K to fix - not worth it."

Does anyone agree? Other opinions? I have considered replacing the engine. How does one go about getting someone to do that?

Thanks for all suggestions.

Connie
Old 17 Nov 2013, 11:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Turbo doesn't cost that much - try Turbos Unleashed

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Nov 2013, 02:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: 2004 Touring bucks while idling

Quote:
Also took it to a Chrysler dealer who performed some diagnostics.
1st mistake.....
Quote:
"Turbo assy cracked. $2K to fix - not worth it."
Check local salvage yards,or online rebuilt/used/salvage(Ebay!)......Even if the used turbo assy needs to be rebuilt,it will be alot less than $2k.(What did you expect a 'Stealership' to say?)
-Not 100% sure if it's the same;But,you might take a look at this one(Rebuilt Neon/PT Cruiser Turbo-'$100 Discount w/rebuildable core')=$450+$28.28 s/h:Neon SRT 4 PT Cruiser GT TD04LR Turbo 03 05 Stock Factory turbocharger SRT4 | eBay