PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser News and Rumors

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 Touring bucks while idling

 
Like Tree1Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2013, 07:09 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3
Default 2004 Touring bucks while idling

I bought an 04 with 93K miles at an auction for $1,900. Came with a P0172 code and bucked when idling. Replaced a bunch of stuff including:
ABS Absorber
Water Pump
Tensioner
MAP sensor
PCV Valve
Thermostat
Air filter
Both 02 sensors

Got a tune up (including plugs & wires) and coolant flush.

Still bucks badly, and seems to be getting worse. Code 0172. Plus there is an exhaust smell in the car while driving.

Took it to a new mechanic who said it was not timed right when the PCV valve was replaced. Off by 1/2 tooth. He'd charge $790 labor to get it back in time. This mechanic comes with good references from a local auto parts store (they use him exclusively for their vehicles). He charged nothing to check.

Took it back to the mechanic who changed the PCV valve. He said it wouldn't even run if it was out of time. He said he was sure it was timed right. But he did say when he put on the PCV valve (or something) he saw the timing belt had been replaced. He charged $20 and said he did a compression check that showed it needed a valve job ($1,690). He said the prior owner probably experienced a timing belt break that ruined the valves. Now I read on here that my car has a non-interface engine and valves don't get ruined by timing belt breaks.

I am at my wits end and don't know what to do or who to believe. I don' have much money left and want to fix what's really wrong or just try to get rid of a car that bucks. I won't get any of my $2,800 back.

What to do? Does anyone have a PT mechanic in Hampton Roads VA? I have thought of taking it to a Chrysler dealer to find out exactly what is wrong. ANY help is appreciated!
~C

Last edited by hanna48669; 03 Nov 2013 at 07:25 am.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2013, 08:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 27,758
Default Re: 2004 Touring bucks while idling

...about the timing belt. YES, it's a non-interference engine which means when the belt breaks, the valves can't hit the piston tops and cause major internal damage BUT if the engine happens to be at high speed when the belt broke, the free wheeling opposing valves can hit each other. It doesn't happen but about 1% of the time in fact I think we've only heard of the valves hitting in one or two cases out of hundreds that have come to the forum.
Busted_PT likes this.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 03 Nov 2013 at 08:41 am.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2013, 03:48 pm
randyincctx's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Corpus Christi,Tx.
Posts: 3,485
Cool Re: 2004 Touring bucks while idling

Sorry to hear your having so many problems with your 'auction' PT.......I also got my PT from an auction,but so far most of my problems were cosmetic;I did have to replace the battery,and use some starter fluid,to get it fired up after sitting for a year in impound,before the auction.
__________________
2003 PT Cruiser (Base-N/A) Patriot Blue Pearl Purchased @ Police Impound Auction for $1,000.
Aka:~KILLER~
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2013, 06:39 pm
PTpreacher's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern Ca. Arcata,
Posts: 377
Smile Re: 2004 Touring bucks while idling

Did you check the cat? the exhaust smell makes me think to check it. I had a car that had one plugged.
And it also got hot and had a smell. Worth a check!
PTpreacher
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2013, 07:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3
Default Re: 2004 Touring bucks while idling

Thanks for the responses. Will check the things you suggest. I am SO thankful for this forum!
~C
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2013, 07:45 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,903
Default Re: 2004 Touring bucks while idling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna48669 View Post
I bought an 04 with 93K miles at an auction for $1,900. Came with a P0172 code and bucked when idling. Replaced a bunch of stuff including:
ABS Absorber
Water Pump
Tensioner
MAP sensor
PCV Valve
Thermostat
Air filter
Both 02 sensors

Got a tune up (including plugs & wires) and coolant flush.

Still bucks badly, and seems to be getting worse. Code 0172. Plus there is an exhaust smell in the car while driving.

Took it to a new mechanic who said it was not timed right when the PCV valve was replaced. Off by 1/2 tooth. He'd charge $790 labor to get it back in time. This mechanic comes with good references from a local auto parts store (they use him exclusively for their vehicles). He charged nothing to check.

Took it back to the mechanic who changed the PCV valve. He said it wouldn't even run if it was out of time. He said he was sure it was timed right. But he did say when he put on the PCV valve (or something) he saw the timing belt had been replaced. He charged $20 and said he did a compression check that showed it needed a valve job ($1,690). He said the prior owner probably experienced a timing belt break that ruined the valves. Now I read on here that my car has a non-interface engine and valves don't get ruined by timing belt breaks.

I am at my wits end and don't know what to do or who to believe. I don' have much money left and want to fix what's really wrong or just try to get rid of a car that bucks. I won't get any of my $2,800 back.

What to do? Does anyone have a PT mechanic in Hampton Roads VA? I have thought of taking it to a Chrysler dealer to find out exactly what is wrong. ANY help is appreciated!
~C
You said you replaced water pump. That is driven by the timing belt. So if the timing is off. That's when it happened. You can't get it off by 1/2 tooth. Just is not physically possible. So run from that guy. You can only get off one full tooth at a time. Yes they will run. Just not well. So, unimpressed by either these guys.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03 Nov 2013, 11:38 pm
randyincctx's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Corpus Christi,Tx.
Posts: 3,485
Post Re: 2004 Touring bucks while idling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
You said you replaced water pump. That is driven by the timing belt. So if the timing is off. That's when it happened. You can't get it off by 1/2 tooth. Just is not physically possible. So run from that guy. You can only get off one full tooth at a time. Yes they will run. Just not well. So, unimpressed by either these guys.
That's where I'd put my money down.....Whoever did the water pump & tensioner replacement,got the timing belt off......I think you should take it back to them,and tell them to double check it;Might not hurt to print this page,and show it to them.
If it's correct,it should look exactly like the photos below.


Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Even leaving everything in place,there is still room for error when installing a new belt.....It can end up off when you tighten the new belt,and if your off by even ONE tooth/notch,it can cause it to be out of timing(even seasoned auto-techs get it wrong)......The best pictures we have on alignment for the timing belt install are these right here:


Everything needs to be lined up EXACTLY as seen in these photos.Photos courtesy of Busted_PT
__________________
2003 PT Cruiser (Base-N/A) Patriot Blue Pearl Purchased @ Police Impound Auction for $1,000.
Aka:~KILLER~
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 17 Nov 2013, 06:29 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3
Default Re: 2004 Touring bucks while idling

Thanks for all this great information! I have reviewed all posts/suggestions. Also took it to a Chrysler dealer who performed some diagnostics. His response: "Turbo assy cracked. $2K to fix - not worth it."

Does anyone agree? Other opinions? I have considered replacing the engine. How does one go about getting someone to do that?

Thanks for all suggestions.

Connie
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 17 Nov 2013, 11:09 am
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: 2004 Touring bucks while idling

Turbo doesn't cost that much - try Turbos Unleashed
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 17 Nov 2013, 02:09 pm
randyincctx's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Corpus Christi,Tx.
Posts: 3,485
Lightbulb Re: 2004 Touring bucks while idling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna48669 View Post
Also took it to a Chrysler dealer who performed some diagnostics.
1st mistake.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna48669 View Post
"Turbo assy cracked. $2K to fix - not worth it."
Check local salvage yards,or online rebuilt/used/salvage(Ebay!)......Even if the used turbo assy needs to be rebuilt,it will be alot less than $2k.(What did you expect a 'Stealership' to say?)
-Not 100% sure if it's the same;But,you might take a look at this one(Rebuilt Neon/PT Cruiser Turbo-'$100 Discount w/rebuildable core')=$450+$28.28 s/h:Neon SRT 4 PT Cruiser GT TD04LR Turbo 03 05 Stock Factory turbocharger SRT4 | eBay
__________________
2003 PT Cruiser (Base-N/A) Patriot Blue Pearl Purchased @ Police Impound Auction for $1,000.
Aka:~KILLER~
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Like new very low mil 2004 Touring for sale Rolf Classifieds: For Sale/Trade 1 05 Sep 2012 08:33 pm
2004 Turbo Touring Maintenance Questions firemedic1560 Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling 9 05 Mar 2012 12:09 pm
2004 pt cruiser turbo touring srl123 General Turbo Discussions 15 17 Feb 2012 11:01 am
2004 PT Touring Turbo parts FS InfernoPT Classifieds: For Sale/Trade 3 06 Oct 2009 08:09 am
2004 PT Touring Edition PTCumming Tech & Performance Forum 11 14 Oct 2003 10:36 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors