Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser News and Rumors

PT Cruiser Forum

Famously Unsafe: Chrysler PT Cruiser

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jun 2014, 10:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Famously Unsafe: Chrysler PT Cruiser

I run a body shop and see wrecked cars EVERY day. I can attest from first hand experience that the PT is very well made. Keep in mind they really are a fairly small vehicle but I have seen nothing working on these cars that concerns me about their safety. In fact I have been pleased to see how well they are made.

I would be very very concerned about running around in a Smart car. Talk about one scary little car. The hood is about 10 inches wide and is plastic. What a great name to give to such a stupid little car. I can just see someone looking at a Smart car and thinking this car just seems really stupid but hey they call it a Smart car so maybe just maybe I am missing something here.
wingman55 likes this.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 10:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I saw a PT being towed on the way to my friends house...all I saw was a smashed windshield...when I get there she tells me it hit a deer. From what I saw, it held up pretty good.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 21 Jun 2014, 09:14 am
Veteran Cruiser

Monkey through space?
Why disparage monkeys.

I like the hit on the vert. It looks the same as the 'classic', except it has a convertible top. This, somehow, makes it "hideous"?
wingman55 likes this.
Old 21 Jun 2014, 10:42 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDNPT View Post
I would be very very concerned about running around in a Smart car. Talk about one scary little car. The hood is about 10 inches wide and is plastic. What a great name to give to such a stupid little car. I can just see someone looking at a Smart car and thinking this car just seems really stupid but hey they call it a Smart car so maybe just maybe I am missing something here.
in the crash test the dummys head hit the steering wheel through the airbag

they also crashed it into a mercedes, which punted it like a football. LOL
http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/sm...rZ4St_2aeOwP5w

i drove one into my shop to letter it. i actually got stuck in about an inch of snow. i agree it's not very smart.
rckstein and wingman55 like this.
Old 21 Jun 2014, 11:33 am
Regular Cruiser

Yea, if the world only had Smart cars running around you might stand a fighting chance since the only other car you could hit would be a Smart car. The company tries to make it out that they made such a safe car by wrapping you in a high strength steel cage but the reality is you need some sheet metal around you to absorb the energy of the impact.

Did you see the video where they ran the Smart car into a cement barrier and then ran up to the car and said look the door still opens? They tried to imply that this was so important but later in the video they show the steering wheel has impaled itself into the drivers seat. Imagine if someone had been driving the car.

I remember talking to someone about the video when they ran the Smart car into the Mercedes. The person I was talking too was saying how well the Smart car did vs. the Mercedes because the Mercedes was crushing in at the hood area and the Smart car did not. I pointed out that the Mercedes did exactly what it was designed to do and that was absorb energy to protect the occupants and the Smart car has so little exterior protection to absorb any energy.

The real saving grace of the Smart car is it is so small and light weight that in a accident it just gets flung around which crazy enough helps absorb some energy. The best advice I can give if you decide to drive a Smart car is wrap yourself up in foam first and wear a good helmet. We'll, come to think of it you might as well wear a good neck support and mouth guard also but at that point you are going to appear pretty Stupid looking sitting in the car. Might as well just put a yield sign on the back and leave your flashers on why you are driving-LOL!!!!!
Old 21 Jun 2014, 11:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

When I read different threads on forums and members talking about crash tests I have to wonder what they would say had they actually been in a serious one themselves?
Having survived many crashed vehicles including fire engulfed head on and roll overs I can say you would be singing a different tune about how well cars are built now and that crash test does in fact show the integrity of the tested vehicle and how better your chances at walking away from a crash are.

For those that have experienced a crash in a pre 90"s vehicle think how better your would have fared had you been in a vehicle manufactured for the US market today?

ADHD=Auto Detailing & Hotrodding Dude

Last edited by NitroPT; 21 Jun 2014 at 11:50 am.
Old 21 Jun 2014, 12:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

And then there is FIAT... new owner of Chrysler and purveyor of teensy Italian cars designed to ride around in narrow streets and villages. They were junk the first time they were here and haven't changed anything but their 4doors.
Old 21 Jun 2014, 12:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDNPT View Post
Did you see the video where they ran the Smart car into a cement barrier
i saw it, but they were also going 70mph. if you crash any car into concrete going 70 i wouldn't expect anything miraculous. i thought they also had shock sensors in the car that indicated that even though the car held up fine, the impact would kill you instantly. it's concrete at 70mph though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
When I read different threads on forums and members talking about crash tests I have to wonder what they would say had they actually been in a serious one themselves?
Having survived many crashed vehicles including fire engulfed head on and roll overs I can say you would be singing a different tune about how well cars are built now and that crash test does in fact show the integrity of the tested vehicle and how better your chances at walking away from a crash are.

For those that have experienced a crash in a pre 90"s vehicle think how better your would have fared had you been in a vehicle manufactured for the US market today?
^Crewzin can you change his name to CrashTestNitro :P

this one was MY all time favorite. china truck going 40mph.

i JUST avoided an accident by stomping the gas in my mustang. second time in two days avoiding an accident with the go pedal. i think my car may have a bulls-eye on it. no more crash talk for me
Old 21 Jun 2014, 12:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

The point of my comments about a car the size of the Smart car is that size does matter. I have been in a head on crash on the freeway so I do know first hand about serious life threatening crashes. The reality is that we are driving on roads with bigger pickups, SUV's etc and for a car the size of the Smart car to imply that driving a car that size is a safe and a "smart" option is laughable.

I still have older customers who say things like "they just don't build cars like they use to". I respond by explaining to them they do not and that is why so many people are much safer today then they were years ago. The key to safer cars today beyond ABS brakes, air bags etc., is their ability to absorb energy and deflect that energy away from the occupants in the vehicle. Vehicles from years back were big and heavy but did not absorb energy well and allowed that energy to get to the occupants in the vehicle. A good video on you tube that shows this is the crash test where they ran a newer Impala into I believe a 1959 Impala. You can see the '59 roof actually collapsing into the occupant area of the car because the older car was not designed to absorb the energy like the newer one was.

My concern with the Smart car is there simply is not enough surface on the car to absorb energy and that it is so undersized compared to the average vehicle on the road today. Serious accidents are no laughing matter but for a company to put a car on the road that is so undersized and then call it a "Smart" car is laughable.

Reminds me of the old movie called "Crazy People". The movie was about a ad exec who went nuts and ended up in a mental hospital. He and some of his fellow patients started writing ads for cars etc. and they became wildly popular because they were simply honest. I remember one of the ads was for Volvo and it said something like, "Volvo, it may be boxy and ugly but it is safe". If the Smart car was around back when the movie was made it would have gotten a ad that read something like, "Smart car, you don't have to be smart to drive one".

Let us keep in mind this whole topic came up because someone wrote a article saying how unsafe the PT cruiser was. My response was that the PT is actually very well made and from real world experience does a good job protecting the people in the car and that in reality there are very unsafe cars on the road today so why was the article written about the PT and not a vehicle like the Smart car? When I was getting ready to buy my wife a PT cruiser I had a co-worker who was telling me how unsafe the PT cruiser was and I am sure he got this idea from articles like the one that started this topic so I do take it personally when I see articles like this misinforming the public about the PT cruiser. When something is popular it will be a target for misinformation. Just because someone writes a article does not mean it is true.
dougs and wingman55 like this.
Old 21 Jun 2014, 08:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I got rear ended twice in 3 day period in my white pt one week. Only damage if you want to call it that was a loose rear bumper. By loose I mean it sagged maybe a qtr inch? Screwed that puppy right back up, cant even tell. Now they both were under 30mph and both small cars. first one was at a red light by a Somalilan couple. Second was by some dumb bxxxx guy in a 97 maxima who didn't have a license and did a hit and run. After all that is have to say pt cruisers are pretty good in the rear lol. Had a cavalier once that got rear ended at a red light, smashed my trunk up and bent the frame up and bumper push down but after a few hours banging my car you couldn't even tell unless you looked at the frame. I'd say pt cruiser is pretty safe in rear end collision with equal size cars, now if it was a van or truck or anything bigger id be replacing more parts hehe
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.