Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2014, 09:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Famously Unsafe: Chrysler PT Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post

^Crewzin can you change his name to CrashTestNitro :P
Head on collision driver in fog crossed over into my lane we were each doing about 35-40MPH. It was in my Mazda B2000 P/U no SRS at the time. Broken "middle figure" (think about how the splint looked while it was mending....lol) Truck completely totaled.

1966 Buick LaSabre my green light T boned by older couple running the red.

1969 Chrysler New Yorker T-boned by undercover detectives in pursuit of a suspected robber.

1967 Ford Mustang in a street race front tire blew out at about 80 accelerating and the car rolled 5 times. Minor bruises and cuts. I had a full cage and harness.

1979 Chevy C10 transmission caught fire driving down the highway and the fuel tank exploded. I was expelled from the truck going over the embankment trying get off the road and out of the truck. I got minor burns and bruising from the fall outside the truck.

1967 Camaro (I was very young) in a street race tried to evade the Sheriff that pulled us both over I was in the front so you know what I did when the officer got out of his car... I would have gotten away too but going around a turn with 90/10 shocks and Moroso front springs I lost control and rolled it up on the side in some farmers field. The roll bar and harness kept me from getting hurt.

My brand new 1977 Z28 Camaro while crossing a green light a lady committed suicide by impacting me at estimated over 100mph hitting the front so hard it spun me around a few times. I was not hurt at all. My camaro front was completely gone from the transmission forward.The Toyota that hit me basically disintegrated after hitting me it went through a telephone poll and stopped in the side of a brick building. They later found her hand written note to off herself.

Thats is just the cars... I went down on a couple of bikes as well.

None of these vehicles had SRS systems or advance body structures. I got lucky!! IMHO any modern vehicle that can even mildly pass a crash test increases exponentially your chances of surviving vehicle mishaps compared to but only a decade or so ago.

ADHD=Auto Detailing & Hotrodding Dude
Old 21 Jun 2014, 11:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Head on collision driver in fog crossed over into my lane we were each doing about 35-40MPH. It was in my Mazda B2000 P/U no SRS at the time. Broken "middle figure" (think about how the splint looked while it was mending....lol) Truck completely totaled.

Thats is just the cars... I went down on a couple of bikes as well.

None of these vehicles had SRS systems or advance body structures. I got lucky!! IMHO any modern vehicle that can even mildly pass a crash test increases exponentially your chances of surviving vehicle mishaps compared to but only a decade or so ago.
Man, NitroPT, you have had one line of colorful experiences! I guess due to my style of driving, even at the young age of a teenager, it was boring. I am 63 years old and have had only one accident (minor) and that wasn't even my fault. Now, my two older brothers were another story!
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock
Old 21 Jun 2014, 11:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
^Crewzin can you change his name to CrashTestNitro :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecabinguy View Post
Man, NitroPT, you have had one line of colorful experiences!
It looks bad when you read it like this but for 41 years driving/riding , racing Professionally and not so legal (street racing) in NHRA, AMA, SCCA and a couple of smaller organizations stuff is going to happen. When running limits of speed the odds are simply against you. Now somewhat in my case it is just in the wrong place at the wrong times.
The worst crash I was in that caused some painful results was showing off on a BullTaco 250 doing a wheelie right into the side a building. With pins in my hand and a plate installed with what looks like wood screws inside my arm holding my forearm together I was back on that bike damn a week later so I would not lose the edge and gain fear. LOL

The scariest was going down on a VFR750 on the famous Santa Cruz "Fish Hook" turn at about 130 and having a truck pull in front of me. I went down the bike went one way and I went under the rear end of the truck that dragged me for a bout 60 feet before flying out the back in the air spinning on my helmet like a brake dancer before getting tossed on the ice plants on the side of the road. Lot of road rash a rather mangled bike, every piece of clothing leathers and under cloths were wasted. Nothing broken except my pride about a pint of blood. I had an argument with a cop that found me at the hospital emergency room asking me I left the scene of an accident! SAY WHAT!? LOL I was 49.
Yup we adrenalin junkies seldom lose our addiction for the need for speed!

I will say I am a bit tamer these days, I mean look I am driving a PT Cruiser now!

ColTED and dougs like this.

ADHD=Auto Detailing & Hotrodding Dude

Last edited by NitroPT; 21 Jun 2014 at 11:59 pm.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 12:30 am
Cool Cruiser

I read the article..but seriously... WTH was this guy thinking:

Last edited by CREWZIN; 25 Jun 2014 at 05:49 pm.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 11:38 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drturbo View Post
I read the article..but seriously... WTH was this guy thinking:
i bet he was thinking that this way he could eliminate the need to change a second timing belt, wheel bearings, and control arms. it's brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
It looks bad when you read it like this but for 41 years driving/riding , racing Professionally and not so legal (street racing) in NHRA, AMA, SCCA and a couple of smaller organizations stuff is going to happen. When running limits of speed the odds are simply against you. Now somewhat in my case it is just in the wrong place at the wrong times.
The worst crash I was in that caused some painful results was showing off on a BullTaco 250 doing a wheelie right into the side a building. With pins in my hand and a plate installed with what looks like wood screws inside my arm holding my forearm together I was back on that bike damn a week later so I would not lose the edge and gain fear. LOL

The scariest was going down on a VFR750 on the famous Santa Cruz "Fish Hook" turn at about 130 and having a truck pull in front of me. I went down the bike went one way and I went under the rear end of the truck that dragged me for a bout 60 feet before flying out the back in the air spinning on my helmet like a brake dancer before getting tossed on the ice plants on the side of the road. Lot of road rash a rather mangled bike, every piece of clothing leathers and under cloths were wasted. Nothing broken except my pride about a pint of blood. I had an argument with a cop that found me at the hospital emergency room asking me I left the scene of an accident! SAY WHAT!? LOL I was 49.
Yup we adrenalin junkies seldom lose our addiction for the need for speed!

I will say I am a bit tamer these days, I mean look I am driving a PT Cruiser now!

it's a shame that you are just now getting into the onboard camera thing.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 25 Jun 2014 at 05:50 pm.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 04:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've had a chance to get up close and personal with several salvage PT's that were wrecked. On most of these wrenched PT's, the chassis did not crumple even thought fenders, doors, quarter panels and back hatch were smashed. The cab appears to be fairly rigged compared to other similar cars. So I figure that in a collision, the driver of a PT is going to get hit with a lot of the impact.

You can see what I am talking about in this video:

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 25 Jun 2014 at 04:53 pm.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 04:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Nitro your lucky your still alive
Old 27 Jun 2014, 02:29 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote from Handy Cruiser : " I've had a chance to get up close and personal with several salvage PT's that were wrecked. On most of these wrenched PT's, the chassis did not crumple even thought fenders, doors, quarter panels and back hatch were smashed. The cab appears to be fairly rigged compared to other similar cars. So I figure that in a collision, the driver of a PT is going to get hit with a lot of the impact.

You can see what I am talking about in this video:"

I guess I am confused on the point that Handy Cruiser is making. How is the PT more dangerous for it's size then another vehicle of same size in these types of impacts? What exactly are you meaning when you say " the chassis did not crumble"? And what do you mean when you say " the cab appears fairly rigged compared to other similar car"-what do you mean by rigged????
Old 27 Jun 2014, 09:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDNPT View Post
Quote from Handy Cruiser : " I've had a chance to get up close and personal with several salvage PT's that were wrecked. On most of these wrenched PT's, the chassis did not crumple even thought fenders, doors, quarter panels and back hatch were smashed. The cab appears to be fairly rigged compared to other similar cars. So I figure that in a collision, the driver of a PT is going to get hit with a lot of the impact.

You can see what I am talking about in this video:"

I guess I am confused on the point that Handy Cruiser is making. How is the PT more dangerous for it's size then another vehicle of same size in these types of impacts? What exactly are you meaning when you say " the chassis did not crumble"? And what do you mean when you say " the cab appears fairly rigged compared to other similar car"-what do you mean by rigged????
The word I meant to use was "rigid", not rigged.

Most modern cars have crumple zones intentionally designed to crumple during a collision and absorb much of the force of impact. This single feature alone makes many newer cars much safer than older ones. On the PT, it appears that the front cap and supports are supposed to take the impact of a front end collision. But these seem to just fold up and the rest of the chassis stays rigid. It does not appear to absorb as much force as many other cars. In contrast, watch a video of crash tests on a newer Chrysler 300, 200, Charger and even the late-model Sebring. You will see the difference.

Of course, while I am now officially a "Safety Engineer" (who knew?), I don't have training in automotive design. So I'm just going off what I've seen in person, what the crash tests show and what articles like the ones above seem to be saying. And from those, it's indicated that we should expect to hit the air bag and steering wheel pretty hard if we are in a front end collision.
Old 27 Jun 2014, 09:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thank you for the clarification. I apologize I read your post late last night and I just did not connect the dots. I was thinking about something when it comes to the PT and crash worthiness. I was thinking that the PT was designed back in the late 1990's to 2000. As far as I know the inner structure of the PT 4 dr did not change from 2000 to 2010. A lot of improvements when it comes to crash worthiness came into vehicles during this time period so if they tested a 2008 PT cruiser with say a 2008 Civic it is very possible the PT did not score as high since the PT was really a old school design by 2008 when it comes to advancements in crash worthiness. That being said all vehicles have weak spots when it comes to certain types of impacts and the PT is no exception. What has impressed me about the PT is how well built the car is built in relation to door structure etc..

Keep in mind the PT is really a pretty small vehicle so certain types of impacts in a vehicle that size are always a concern to begin with. If I am understanding what you are saying about the chassis being so rigid is that in some respects the PT is almost too well made. For example the inner structure of the front of the car is like a tank and therefore may not collapse enough under certain impacts thereby transferring more energy to the driver and occupants in a severe frontal impact. This could also be the case on a side impact with the B-pillars being so stout.

I still would say all in all if I am going to drive a vehicle the size of the PT that I do find comfort knowing I am in a well made vehicle for it's size and the PT's I have looked at that have been in accidents have held up well for their size. I have not seen any serious intrusion issues on front corner or side impacts. My guess is any car from the late 90's to early 2000 the size of the PT will fair about the same in these types of impacts.