Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser News and Rumors

PT Cruiser Forum

Famously Unsafe: Chrysler PT Cruiser

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jun 2014, 08:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Famously Unsafe: Chrysler PT Cruiser

I don't plan on crashing...lol... I did however hit a orange cone at like 60.. a damn truck shot it in my lane... did more damage than I thought..it shifted radiator sideways about an inch, made passenger door rub due to not enough gap,made antenna come out of bracket, and messed with wheel well liner.. good thing I swerved a bit and hit on pass side front..leaving black marks on bumper....hate to get into real accident..but I bet it has an effective crumple zone due to construction...
Old 24 Jul 2014, 02:18 pm
Young Cruiser

Mine is still driving around crushed fender and bumper and all.
Old 25 Jul 2014, 12:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Here's a link to an msn auto showing both NHTSA IIHS crash test results with pictures, looks good to me. I'm new here, so I hope the link works. If not, just search for 2001, or whatever year, PT Cruiser Safety, "msn auto" should be in the list.

2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser Safety and Crash Tests - MSN Autos

I'm new here, so I hope the link works. If not, just search for 2001, or whatever year, PT Cruiser Safety, "msn auto" should be in the list.
Old 18 Dec 2015, 06:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Car Buzz sucks, anyway. I never liked the snarky tone of their reviews. I was in a head on in my '02, with both cars going over 50. I came away alive with a dislocated hip and multiple fractures to my left arm, no internal injuries, no spinal trauma, no head or face injuries and my PT was unrecognizable after the crash.

My wife told me I needed to get an SUV or something else large and heavy as a replacement, and my lawyer said, "That little car saved his life".

The author of that Car Buzz piece can KMA.
wwpptc and rockandroller like this.

Last edited by twodees; 18 Dec 2015 at 06:50 pm.
Old 05 Jan 2016, 02:22 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsefalconer View Post
Here's a link to an msn auto showing both NHTSA IIHS crash test results with pictures, looks good to me. I'm new here, so I hope the link works. If not, just search for 2001, or whatever year, PT Cruiser Safety, "msn auto" should be in the list.

2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser Safety and Crash Tests - MSN Autos

I'm new here, so I hope the link works. If not, just search for 2001, or whatever year, PT Cruiser Safety, "msn auto" should be in the list.
The link took me to a website that talked about how the new GM SUV has a vibration problem that is making people car sick.
Old 05 Jan 2016, 09:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

KC and Heather
United States Initially we noticed the fog lights were staying on because the car battery was dead on more than one occasion. We thought the problem had rectified itself after a few weeks but then towards the end of a very long road trip the steering column caught on fire due to a faulty multi function switch. We removed the fuse for the fog lights and took the car to a dealership. My friend came over tonight and described the exact same problem in another PT. I think that this forum should be forwarded to Chrysler.

I think this could fit into two resent threads but this one has a better thread name?

The Muti function switch aka MFS.
This is why getting the correct one and NOT used one is VERY important when they fail the first time. These are just a few I found there are dozens of others posted in various area of auto motive safety and such found on the web.

Re: Famously Unsafe: Chrysler PT Cruiser

cruiserin
I had the same problem today. I was on my way home from work and I noticed a burning smell in my car. When I pull over to let wait for my friend to pick up her son from daycare I noticed smoke in front of me. Coming from my hazard light switch. That also when I noticed the fog light signal was on on the dashboard. Well the smoke would not stop so when my friend returned to the car we drove around the corner to the fire station and they had to cut my battery cable to disconnect and avoid a potential car fire

Paul clnchfield
My girlfriend called me yesterday and told me she had smoke coming from the steering column and that the fog lights were on and would not go off. I told her to disconnect the battery but she wasn't familiar with that so I told her to locate the fuse for the foglamps in the fuse box and pull it.

Heather and KC
Initially we noticed the fog lights were staying on because the car battery was dead on more than one occasion. We thought the problem had rectified itself after a few weeks but then towards the end of a very long road trip the steering column caught on fire due to a faulty multi function switch. We removed the fuse for the fog lights and took the car to a dealership. My friend came over tonight and described the exact same problem in another PT. I think that thisforum should be forwarded to Chrysler

ADHD=Auto Detailing & Hotrodding Dude
Old 06 Feb 2016, 05:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've been driving this 02 off and on for 13 years, the only thing I would consider unsafe about it is the poor weight distribution during cornering. The center of gravity on the car sucks for the stock wheel base and ride height. Also, the traction control will try and kill you if you forget to turn it off before doing any serious driving. Other than that the car is so underpowered for its weight that it's hard to get into trouble aside from torque steer issues(The 06 I have access to with a turbo has pretty scary torque steer too, but it may need front end work).

I've watched a PT cruiser get t-boned by something the size of a suburban, and I can't think of many cars that would survive it as well. The SUV hit the driver side, and the driver of the PT cruiser crawled out the passenger side immediately afterwards with very minor injuries. It even drove out of the way after being hit because the b-pillar withstood the impact and didn't cave the frame in. This was in a parking garage though... so pretty low speed impacts. But I'm still certain that pt was totaled.
Old 17 Feb 2016, 05:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

In 2003/2004 Chrysler designed the transaxle to have computer assisted steering (traction) control to guard against torque steer I think it was part of the NGC (next generation controller) that combined the transmission and engine PCM together instead of separate units. Otherwise the EMTs would be scrapping up lots of 80 year old Grammies off the pavement every time they handed 350z's their arse's on their way to church every Sunday.

PT's are not Pinto's and Top Gear's nomination of the PT convertible as the worst car of the century compared to the "Pontiac Aztek" on this list from Edmunds 100 Worst Cars of All Time
would be completely laughable except remember they only had European models to drive with a 2.2 diesel or 2.0 and 1.6 petrol

You notice the writer for "CAR BUZZ" remove his name from the article, I think he may have been ridiculed a little at work over his opinion . Or he may have been Takatacised in his Mazda reasoning that his passive restraint + anti-lock braking = immortality .
dougs likes this.
Old 04 Jun 2016, 02:06 pm
Young Cruiser

Last November, a guy driving a white 2001 Oldsmobile Intrepid decided he would run the red light on the intersection of just about the busiest highway in Palm Bay. I happened to be just entering the intersection, which I knew very well, and as I had a green light I was travelling pretty close to the speed limit, 40 mph.

He was travelling West-East. I was heading South. He saw me heading straight for him and slammed on his brakes....

Me, I was braced as hard as I could be against the steering wheel, foot hard on the brake pedal thinking 'Ohs*itthisisgonnahurt'.

I hit him square in the B pillar. Caved in the entire driver's side from front edge of the driver's door to the rear edge of the passenger door, and probably dented the front left fender and the rear panel alongside the trunk for good measure. (I was too out of it to take photos of his car, unfortunately.)

I don't know how much I'd slowed down by the point of impact, but it pushed my car back far enough away from his car that I could see it from end to end and see the wheels, too.

My airbags did not deploy. I was amazed at that. I was extremely dazed but don't believe I hit my head as I'd no bruising on my face. The only part of me that hurt was my left collarbone, which was incredibly sore. I had a doozy of a bruise there.

I sat there in the intersection with my head spinning for what seemed like a very long time until a man tapped on my driver's window. I tried to roll down the window and realised that I'd performed a perfect emergency stop: engine off, parking brake on and the car in park (in a manual it'd have been in neutral). Turned the key and my car started right up. Rolled down the window and the very nice man asked me if I could put it in neutral and he'd push it out the intersection. I decided to see if it would drive, and it did, so I moved it up the road a little way.

My knight in shining armour turned out to be retired Navy, and on seeing the USAF Retired banner on my car decided to take care of me. He asked me if I were okay, then said I should call the police. At this point I couldn't think what number I needed - was it 999, 110 or 911? Anyway, I called them, then tried to think how I should go about calling my nephew, as I'd his 4 and 1 year old sons in the back. By the time I'd done that, the police had arrived, along with the other driver who asked me in tones of astonishment 'Where were you goin'? I thought you were turning left!'

He's lucky I had a concussion, because otherwise he'd have felt the rough edge of my tongue. I wasn't signalling to turn because I was going through the intersection straight ahead on a green light!

Anyway, long story short, given the state of his car I remember wailing to the cop that I didn't dare look at the front of my car and that my husband was going to kill me.

You know what? The front grille clipped back on; the bumper needed replacing in its entirety including the reinforcing bar. I needed a right fender, a new hood as mine was slightly deformed, and that was it. The grille was actually re-usable.

The boys were okay apart from a bruise on the little one and a scuff on his big brother's neck, as he'd been asleep on impact and his head had lolled to the side. He was quite bewildered to wake up and find his brother roaring and the car stopped and his auntie sitting there like a stunned mullet.

As for me, I had bruises on my legs from hitting the steering column and the panel under the wheel, a huge bruise on my collarbone (which is still tender) and no fewer than NINE herniated, ruptured or torn discs from neck to lower lumbar region. Apparently bracing oneself against the wheel is not the right thing to do!

Apart from that, I'm fine.

Nephew and niece's neighbour across the street used to work at a Chrysler dealership and refers to the PT Cruiser as the PT Crusher, it comes out so well in a collision.

I was rearended in mid-April this year at low speed, and needed nothing more than a bumper cover. No further injury, in fact a disc that was out of position by 2 mm is now only out by 1 mm.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Previous PT Cruiser: 2007 Touring Edition (non-Turbo) in Ocean Pearl.

Current Cruiser: 2007 Limited Edition Turbo, chrome trim package, Cool Vanilla (husband's car).

Now driving a 2014 Ford Escape SE 2.0 Ecoboost, Deep Impact blue (perhaps not the best name choice for a vehicle of mine!)