PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tow with my cruiser

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Mar 2015, 08:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Tow with my cruiser

I have a 2002 pt cruiser woody edition. In love with it. Really hope to be able to pull a small teardrop camper around the country with it. I installed a msd ignition coil + plug wires, kn cold air intake, and magnaflow exhaust. New cat and o2 sensors. Awesome difference. What else can I do to help. Been looking on carid at suspension parts and brake upgrades that I Will throw on there soon. might need to buy the hitch too lol. How all this turns out Will determine what size teardrop I buy. I need advice
Old 24 Mar 2015, 10:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Tow with my cruiser

If it is an auto transmission get, AFBTC for it!

AFBTC = A , Fu**ing , Big, Transmission , Cooler !
rob342 likes this.

PERFROMANCE PARTS ENGINEER
"not a Professional Engineer"
Engineers are people who design, construct and test structures, materials and systems
while considering the limitations imposed by practicality, regulation, safety, and cost.

& ase =Already Seriously Experienced
RICE(r)Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements
Old 25 Mar 2015, 07:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes it is automatic, lol good idea. I'll make sure to get afbtc. Other than a disc hub do I need anything else to convert the rear brakes to disc brakes?
Old 25 Mar 2015, 08:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Owner's manual says you can pull up to 1,000 pounds, the closer you can get to that, the better.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Mar 2015, 10:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

I read one time in another spot that the towing can be increased by upgrading the hitch to a class one. Some cruisers might have came with a hitch and the ratings were considering a factory hitch. I don't know, I'm assuming that. Wasn't a lot of info on the thread,
Old 25 Mar 2015, 10:43 am
Veteran Cruiser

The hitch class doesn't mean a thing if you can't pull it.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 25 Mar 2015, 11:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

teardrops are easy to pull a lot of folks pull them with a Bike id say look at the weight you should be ok
Old 25 Mar 2015, 12:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, I saw a site that claimed a large motorcycle should do it. I was laughing, trying to picture that. Would be cool though. That was only certain ones though. Sad thing is, the one I really want is like 1300 lb. Right over the recommendations for the cruiser limit. Trying to figure a way around that lol. Gonna have the money put up for a new tranny, just in case. I also saw special aluminum flywheel and other stuff. Also badass aluminum rims. Anything to get rid of some of the weight to help. Probably gonna put all that weight back reinforcing the suspension and adding the hitch etc. Also gonna put a alternator from "powerbastards" to help the msd coil do it's thing. With the stereo system and that, makes the lights flicker a hair. At least I think that's what did that.
Old 25 Mar 2015, 01:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

MSD coil is not going to do squat. Stock coil is fine.
cruserdad1976 likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Mar 2015, 03:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Ya' don't want this trailer steerin' you down the road swinging from side to side, so what ever weight it is make sure your tow system has a sway bar adequate to the weight of the trailer. Be sure you install safety chains. Nothin' more disconcerting than the hitch failing and you see your trailer way back in your rear view mirror or passin' you by.
Stay away from ABS brakes if you don't have them. The ABS brakes aren't that happy with a trailer behind. Teach yourself to know how to properly stop by pumping the brakes.(like we use to before ABS was invented and still drove safely, anticipating stops.)
Front and rear disk brakes and an upgrade to heavier struts are in order.
I've discovered too many times with ABS brakes and a trailer they sense the weight of the trailer and activate, allowing you to stop in a straight line, but in the middle of an intersection. (very embarrassing to say the least). You'd find the same situation in the extreme on wet, icy or graveled roads.
Try to get the tallest tires you can on the trailer. If it comes with 12" or 13" tires and rims and you can special order 15", it'll be a stronger tire. A 15" over 12" or 13" has relatively a lot less rotations per mile for longer tire mileage. Sometimes this can be accommodated by raising the trailer with riser blocks between the axle and under the spring for wheel clearance under the fender or just raising the fender and reattaching it higher. Make sure the trailer tires are weight and use rated and not "passenger car tires"
Finally, it is well worth installing trailer brakes, either electric, activated by the stop light circuit as you brake or motion activated trailer brakes.
Good luck, ptprice