Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Mar 2015, 01:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Change spark plugs on my 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arca84 View Post
Didn't torque
By posting what happened will help many members here not to make the same mistake. When I get ready to work on my PT Cruiser and I know I need to torque down a replacement part I put the torque wrench out of the tool box before even opening the hood.

I learned the hard way 32 years ago when I didn't torque the lug nuts on my 1966 Chevy pickup and had the wheel come off on the freeway. I got lucky and didn't cause any damage. Found the wheel behind my truck laying there ready to put back on. Talk about being lucky.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 29 Mar 2015 at 01:52 pm.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 02:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

is there some way to remove this motor and trans and put a 1984 Toyota motor and trans?
rob342 likes this.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 05:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, so I thought I put the spark plugs in wrong, however when I re did it with deference plugs it did the same thing ran great at first - stopped and then ran it again the car bogged down and quit running. is it a computer problem? what!
Old 30 Mar 2015, 01:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arca84 View Post
Ok, so I thought I put the spark plugs in wrong, however when I re did it with deference plugs it did the same thing ran great at first - stopped and then ran it again the car bogged down and quit running. is it a computer problem? what!
I would suspect a wiring issue. Loose wire, loose connector, broken wire at connector, faulty new plug wire, etc. Was it the same before the first plug change, or did you somehow cause it?
Old 30 Mar 2015, 04:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking the wires that were involved when moving the upper intake manifold to replace the spark plugs.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 02:11 am
Cool Cruiser

I for one would like to know what codes were thrown.

I got a really cheap code reader at AutoZone for around $34.00 and thought it was a good investment. I can usually reset the Check Engine Light with it.

I have a much fancier one I got off a vendor on eBay. The new one has the code definition right on the screen so I don't have to look them up in the little book that came with the cheaper one. It was around $35.00 too, and reads both the OBD II and CANBUS codes.

I haven't had any codes to read on my own buggy's since I got the new thing, but have used it on some other folks cars.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 12:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Knowing someones DTC does not really do anything to help another in most circumstances. To many variables between vehicles.

The definition of DTC are available through many sources. It is how you use the information for each separate incident as a tool to find and resolve a problem.

Seldom do two vehicles with different years and miles on them exhibit the same condition for any few DTCs and fewer with only one DTC. As well most all DTCs have several options of problem solving which could also be connected to another DTC's with as many possibilities.

So really it is all about clues and the proper use of a Scanning tool. Think of it this way the Scientific method of OBDII and CANbus using their respective diagnostic connectors applies.

& ase =Already Seriously Experienced
Old 20 Apr 2015, 07:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Went to the dealer to reformat the computer 4/20/2015 but it worked, until I stopped and started the car and back to the misfire at idle, changed the cam shaft sensor it worked till I stopped and started the car back to were it was at..I just don't get it? the misfire is driving me nuts! anyone? I could use a expert on this.
Old 20 Apr 2015, 08:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Is the misfire the same before you started replacing the spark plugs and spark plug wires?
Old 21 Apr 2015, 09:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, it has to be the computer because ever time i fix something (it runs perfect) - TILL! _ I stop and restart the car and it comes back exactly the same.