Model/Build Years: ┬*┬*┬*
CHRYSLER / PT CRUISER
2001-2005

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V268000
Recall Date : JUN 02, 2004
Component: STEERING:HYDRAULIC POWER ASSIST:HOSE, PIPING, AND CONNECTIONS
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 438,391

Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 2.4L NON-TURBO ENGINES AND AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLES. ROUTING VARIATION IN THE HIGH PRESSURE POWER STEERING HOSE COULD ALLOW CONTACT WITH THE AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE DIFFERENTIAL COVER, POTENTIALLY DAMAGING THE HOSE.

Consequence:
POWER STEERING FLUID LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE CAN RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND RELOCATE, OR REPLACE AS NECESSARY, THE POWER STEERING HOSE AND CONFIRM TORQUE OF THE HOSE FASTENER AT THE STEERING GEAR END. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLER CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1408.

Notes:
DAIMLER CHRYSLER RECALL NO. D18. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Old 07 Jun 2004, 12:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

"Potential Number Of Units Affected : 438,391"
I thought that pver 600,000 PTs have been sold - are there that many manual shift or turbo PTs?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Jul 2004, 01:09 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Hey guys believe the truth of this recall. My 2001 Pt went up in flames a couple of days before DC anounced the recall. And it was just like the recall states, the damn power steering hose. It's not fun seeing your car burn before your eyes, especially a car that was fairly new. Now DC want's to screw me, and not pay a single dime for something that was their fault. Everyone please check your power steering hoses! I emplore you! You don't want to end up like me! I am going to purchase a new GT only because I loved my car so much. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't touch another Chrysler again, only because of the way they are treating me.
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 08 Jul 2004, 11:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

I recently moved to a different state. How will I be notified of the recall? Do they know by the VIN?
Old 08 Jul 2004, 06:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Went to my local dealer this morning, they have less info than we do, and NO parts for a "fix". I had printed out the campaign info, handed it to the write up person, they took the car back and checked for leaks etc. No problems noted. Told me the recalls should be out in a week or so.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 01:46 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I was told the recall would begin as soon as they finish making a new batch of power steering hoses to replace the old ones. You might need to contact Chrysler and/or give them your new address and information. The number is: 1-800-853-1403.
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

Old 10 Jul 2004, 04:36 am
Veteran Cruiser

My dealer heard about it, but said to wait for the recall notice.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 11 Jul 2004, 04:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The GT should be safe, it recall is for non-turbo PT's. But as for the 01 PT, I suggest you get under the car, and look at the power steering hoses yourself and give yourself peace of might. I wish I knew about the problem before my PT burned; I would have fixed the problem myself. I am now going to pick up my new GT on tuesdat or wednesday.

Old 28 Sep 2004, 03:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Received the notice in todays mail.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 06:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Got mine yesterday.