Old 27 Mar 2017, 12:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default amazing and hilarious stories of ownership

was mostly positive, which is IMO rare to see

https://www.thrillist.com/cars/chrys...s-of-ownership
Old 27 Mar 2017, 01:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: amazing and hilarious stories of ownership

Well you notice that several drove them for many years.
ptprice and rob302 like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Mar 2017, 01:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, somewhat positive. I mean with paragraph titles like these, how positive can it be.

1. Grandpa's spinners.
2. Dad's Homage.
3. Just... No words.
4. Inheritance.
5. PT Cruiser Fail.
6. Good and embarrassing.
7. PT Loser
8. Family Tradition
9. Vow of Celibacy.
10. The Lesser of Two Evils.
ptprice likes this.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 02:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

A fun read. I wonder how many people will be looking for these in 30 years - to relive their youth!
Old 27 Mar 2017, 04:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

10. The Lesser of Two Evils, should have taken the "ugly as sin burnt orange PT Cruiser" it was probably an '03 DC2!

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
143K Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '83 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 27 Mar 2017 at 07:27 pm.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 06:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ok, here's a hilarious story of PT Owner ship.

As I have noted elsewhere I ordered my 02 PT Cruiser new in July of 01.

I picked it up from the dealership on Aug 30, 2001.

Two weeks later the World Trade Center was destroyed.

At that all commercial aviation was grounded.

I knew that very day that commercial aviation mfg was gonna take a big hit and sure enough I was forced to retire in Jan, 2002 after Boeing Sales had precipitously declined.

Anyhow I kept the PT.

Even before I ordered the PT I had joined a couple of PT Cruiser online forums to get a feel for what folks were thinking about them.

So after perusing the forums and seeing what aftermarket items were available I went ahead and ordered most of the items I thought a proper PT should have to fit my style.

Ordered the 15x7 chrome smoothie wheels and B.F. Goodrich T/A Radials before I got the car along with the Borla Dual Exhaust, hood struts and 8 ball shifter kit.

Got everything installed within the first weekend of having the car.

Then I drove the heck out of it and really enjoyed having it.

But early on in the forums it was being reported that several folks were complaining about odd odors coming from the A/C vents in some areas of the country. This was a bit disconcerting to me but didn't think this would have any relevance to me.

Then all of a sudden my car started to stink. Now my personal sniffer really isn't very directional so I had a hard time finding any cause. But because of the complaints I read online I immediately suspected the A/C system and vents.

I tore the dash apart and cleaned and deodorized as best I knew how.

But alas no joy. The Stink was so unbearable and went on for a couple weeks and i was really embarrassed to have anyone ride with me while I was suffering from the problem.

Then one day I had a friend over to help install a power antenna in the car and we had to open it up a bit to get at everything in the dash and under the front wheel well.

PT Cruiser Power Antenna Installation Guide

And as it would happen while messing around in the interior I noticed on the floor just under the back edge of the passenger seat was a half gallon of chocolate milk that had laid there for at least a month and had leaked out and putrefied and stunk up the interior of my brand new car.

At the time I was in the habit of buying chocolate milk whenever I stopped at a Quicktrip and apparently the half gal fell out of the bag and I never noticed it.

Anyhow I then tore out all the carpets where the milk had flowed into both the front and rear carpet areas including the mats and insulation.
Laid them out on my cement drive and washed the heck out of them.

Decided to make a bit of a positive out of the situation by putting in better grade thermal and sound deadening insulation as well as putting down some heavy dynamat style lead foil/asphalt stuff.

So, after feeling like the ultimate idiot, at least I could say i helped with the interior noise a bit.

And now 16 yrs down the road I've never had any other smells coming from the A/C system
http://www.carnut.com/
FB https://www.facebook.com/george.c.mcdowell

Old 27 Mar 2017, 10:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

I once took my PT to the local drag strip on a slow night. As i started driving down the strip a few times the man in the booth on the PA, started calling me the Part Time cruiser.
"it's the part time cruiser again!"
Because it was a test n tune night and there wasn't many people there, and I had nothing to tune. I kept going multiple times, just to work on reaction time.
After about 10 or so runs, the man in the booth on the PA said this.
"part time cruiser, might as well be the full time cruiser."
So I started getting called the Full Time cruiser.

Soon as the track opens back up, I'll be back.
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:115,XXX Modifications: Copper plugs, Drop-in K&N, Airbox Mod+GT upper box, Color matched center bezel, Red PCV Cone Filter, Sony MEX-XB100BT Headunit, Mopar Subwoofer, Eibach Sway bars, OEM+ Fog Lights, Chrome fuel door, Been Drag Racing. Soon to come: TCS, Rear Disc, lowering springs, overhead console, lighted sun visors, cupholder light.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 04:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontpetey View Post
A fun read. I wonder how many people will be looking for these in 30 years - to relive their youth!
Not me. I'm figuring I will not around then. Or remember anything

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Mar 2017, 06:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

SOOO BIG is an amazing car in many respects just because he's a PT. His most memorable attraction is his uncanny resemblance to my first car GOLDIE, a 1940 Plymouth Business Coupe. Business coupes had no back seat!

SOOO BIG's common lines, curves and persona remind me of his grandfather, that Plymouth. Every reminder brings back my high school memories. There was a consuming interest in those class mates, bobby soxers in poodle skirts, and singles, doubles and triples that senior year. GOLDIE's convenient configuration just in back of the seat contributed a great deal to a most enjoyable learning curve that year.

I drew this sketch of GOLDIE after working on my home work after the day's classes in my high school home room. Yep that's drawn on scratch paper.

40 Plymouth Coupe drawing done in 1958, my first car - Copy (640x465).jpg

I just finished a short story of a first time SCUBA DIVE involving me and two high school friends. GOLDIE was a supporting character in this story. Some of those references are seen in the paragraphs below. Enjoy.

Here's a challenge, I'll bet some other Forum members have memories that are touch stones out of PTs. Lets hear them. I'm sure they're amazing and hilarious.

about the Plymouth 001 (543x640).jpg
2.4 Cyl. DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. W/Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans., 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-Up Torque Converter, 16 X 6 Aluminum Chrome Clad Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring Tires, Touring Suspension.
Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, 3/8" Belt Trim, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel, Chrome Tail Lights, Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moonroof, Fog and Back Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Premium Trim, Taupe/Pearl Beige Leather Bucket Seats. Driver's Seat Power Height Adjust and Manual Lumbar Adjust, Passenger's Seat Storage Drawer. Full Length Floor Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass console, Rear Shelf, AM/FM CD GPS Nav. Radio, 6 Premium Speakers. Back Up Camera w/Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 28 Mar 2017 at 09:31 pm.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 12:01 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I bought my 03 Dream in the middle of a rain storm at night, duhhhhhh.
The car ran and drove well during my 45 minute test drive and as far as I could tell everything seemed ok. So I paid a little under retail at the time due to some repaired damage, paint hiccups like keyed paint on the passenger rear door.
About three months after I bought the car I had an overheat problem. Then came the learning curve. I didn't know about Turbo only overflow bottles, radiators, ac condensors, or steering oil coolers, but I learned about that and the 03 Only Turbo radiator fan! Ouch.
Well I took a 3 month vacation from Turbo driving while I learned my entire cooling system was non Turbo stuff and I couldnt afford it New or find it used.
I patched it back together with a new recovery bottle from Chrysler and the rest from nice junkers, though not Turbo. Eventually I did find a Turbo fan and the nervousness about overheats disappeared. My son has a GT and we now have a spare Turbo fan each just in case.
I hated the aftermarket 17" wheels on my car and traded them at a local car show for a set of nine spoke 16"s from a later convertible. In the parking lot at a Friday night car show! No one had ever seen that before.
All in all, I don't regret buying the Dream and now after a couple years need to do a power steering line and pump redo, and install a proper radiator with trans coolant lines and a steering cooler and ad condenser from a Turbo car to go with the new radiator I just ordered.
It has developed into a habit as I now have an 02 Dream (my original quest car) which needs a transmission, and an 07 Pacific Coast Street Cruiser which is finally getting the timing belt etc it needed when I drove to Arizona to pick it up.
The craziness continues.
rckstein and ptprice like this.