Like Tree70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jul 2019, 08:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: General News

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I agree with Frank 100%.
I read the responses on this thread and see it going from General News to off topic banter and opinions? But one thing is clear I have yet to read that any one is doing the physical research about most topic's and only finding what they want to support their comments on the internet?

Chuzz your signature phrase seems to be fitting for all of us....
chuzz likes this.
Old 04 Jul 2019, 10:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Interesting verdict in the Navy Seal trial.

From what I can find, Edward Gallagher was acquitted on all but one charge of taking a selfie with the corps of an enemy fighter. On that charge, he got a reduction in rank from E7 to E6 and a four-month prison sentence that was mitigated with time already served awaiting trial. He is eligible for retirement in several weeks and will likely not be able to reenlist even if he wanted to. So he will be retiring at E6. In the mean time, he is receiving an additional reduction in pay of about $2,700 a month for two months. The verdict was four months but this was cut in half for procedural reasons. I don't know how that will work since he's retiring in several weeks.

The reduction in rank may not impact Gallagher's retirement. In most cases, his retirement will be based on his highest 36 months of pay while in the Navy. However, there may be an administrative reduction in retirement benefits, but I can't find anything clear on that in the news.

The defense strategy for Gallagher was very unique. Basically, the defense made the case that the younger "millennial" seals did not fit in the Navy Seal structure. True or not, the narrative was that these young Navy seals, resistant to rules both formal and informal, turned against their leader (Chief Gallagher) and concocted the story about him killing an enemy fighter while in the seal's custody. And this story only surfaced much later after the claimed event. It is a war crime to kill prisoners of war while in custody and it is considered murder under US military law. The defense was able to make the case for Gallahger's innocence based on the testimony from the older members of the seal team. One of which was a medic that claimed he (the medic) killed the prisoner to avoid turning the prisoner over for torture by locals. That part is all over the news.

For this kind of case, it takes five of the seven members of the jury panel to convict. The panel is normally made up of Navy and/or Marine Corps officers. There is no allowance for a hung jury. If five do not vote to the convict, there is no conviction, no retrial and the defendant is found not-guilty.

In my opinion, I am a traditionalist when it comes to the military. Members of high-performing military units don't make formal charges against one another like this. Normally, such reports would go to the next higher up and appropriate administrative action is taken behind the scenes. Seal Team 7 appears to have been a hot mess. If Gallagher is guilty of anything, it is running a sloppy team in what is considered the most elite and most professional of US military organizations. I hope there are administrative consequences for Gallagher's commanding officer. Ultimately, it was that command officer's responsibility to not let a team of these elite fighters turn into a soap opera. If Gallagher was a poor leader, he should have been removed by his CO. If Gallagher was a good leader (as most reports indicate) he should have been given the support he needed to clean up his unit. Either way, I blame the CO for the whole mess no matter what actually happened.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 04 Jul 2019 at 10:29 am.
Old 04 Jul 2019, 04:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I agree with Frank 100%. And as for running out of fresh water, why in the hell isn't the USA and other countries building desalination plants? We have deserts all over the world that could become usable farm land in time with proper care and irrigation. We're afraid to find out what's in our oceans and more concerned what's happening on planets that we'll never be able to live on or destroy.
The TREKIES MUST DIE!!!

After all, "it is a good day to die"!!!
(aka Warf)

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 04 Jul 2019, 04:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Interesting verdict in the Navy Seal trial.

From what I can find, Edward Gallagher was acquitted on all but one charge of taking a selfie with the corps of an enemy fighter. On that charge, he got a reduction in rank from E7 to E6 and a four-month prison sentence that was mitigated with time already served awaiting trial. He is eligible for retirement in several weeks and will likely not be able to reenlist even if he wanted to. So he will be retiring at E6. In the mean time, he is receiving an additional reduction in pay of about $2,700 a month for two months. The verdict was four months but this was cut in half for procedural reasons. I don't know how that will work since he's retiring in several weeks.

The reduction in rank may not impact Gallagher's retirement. In most cases, his retirement will be based on his highest 36 months of pay while in the Navy. However, there may be an administrative reduction in retirement benefits, but I can't find anything clear on that in the news.

The defense strategy for Gallagher was very unique. Basically, the defense made the case that the younger "millennial" seals did not fit in the Navy Seal structure. True or not, the narrative was that these young Navy seals, resistant to rules both formal and informal, turned against their leader (Chief Gallagher) and concocted the story about him killing an enemy fighter while in the seal's custody. And this story only surfaced much later after the claimed event. It is a war crime to kill prisoners of war while in custody and it is considered murder under US military law. The defense was able to make the case for Gallahger's innocence based on the testimony from the older members of the seal team. One of which was a medic that claimed he (the medic) killed the prisoner to avoid turning the prisoner over for torture by locals. That part is all over the news.

For this kind of case, it takes five of the seven members of the jury panel to convict. The panel is normally made up of Navy and/or Marine Corps officers. There is no allowance for a hung jury. If five do not vote to the convict, there is no conviction, no retrial and the defendant is found not-guilty.

In my opinion, I am a traditionalist when it comes to the military. Members of high-performing military units don't make formal charges against one another like this. Normally, such reports would go to the next higher up and appropriate administrative action is taken behind the scenes. Seal Team 7 appears to have been a hot mess. If Gallagher is guilty of anything, it is running a sloppy team in what is considered the most elite and most professional of US military organizations. I hope there are administrative consequences for Gallagher's commanding officer. Ultimately, it was that command officer's responsibility to not let a team of these elite fighters turn into a soap opera. If Gallagher was a poor leader, he should have been removed by his CO. If Gallagher was a good leader (as most reports indicate) he should have been given the support he needed to clean up his unit. Either way, I blame the CO for the whole mess no matter what actually happened.
A as 29 year AF Vet, and unit Commander, I just don't have enough information on this whole thing.

But, I believe, and even back in my time have seen the lowering of standards and tolerance of bad behavior by junior personnel. (Many reasons)

You may consider this political, but the military really suffered under Clinton and Obama. There were many things going on behind the scenes that mad "Commanding" and holding people accountable nearly impossible. Let alone giving the Field Commander and the boots on the ground the freedom that they need in war zones.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!