PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
General News

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jan 2019, 08:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: General News

How about we call it the Have and the Have Nots, Nitro? LOL I think there's some tv show with that title, so we probably would get sued. LMAO

Hey, hey I wanna be a rock star.
Old 12 Feb 2019, 06:03 am
Senior Cruiser

If you consider the middle class to live a lifestyle similar to that of the old 'Leave it to Beaver' show, then a $45,000 income won't even come close in the state of CT. The median house sells for $240,000, much much more when it is near NYC. Property taxes are around $6,000, or more. Car taxes are around $800 for the first year, plus a one time sales tax of $2200 for a $35.000 car or truck.

So while the PEW numbers may be accurate, the premise that $45,000 is middle class is totally wrong [at least in the state of CT]. You couldn't even live as well as the Bundy's with $45,000. Do shoe salesman jobs still exist anymore?
Old 12 Feb 2019, 06:56 am
Regular Cruiser

Wooooo, thats one property tax!

In a rural area around here you pay less than 1000 USD per year for a 9000sqft property with a 3000sqft house ....

Car taxes for the PT GT are 182 $/year

Guess we should not complain about taxes anymore

Stats:

- German avg. household income (src: statista.de)
- before tax (2017): 60100$
- after tax, social sec, etc. (2017): 45682$
Old 14 Feb 2019, 05:47 am
Senior Cruiser

For the young-uns: Leave it to Beaver was a semi humorous show about the lifestyle of a middle class family that lived in the suburbs around 1960 [?]. They lived in a nice house, had a new/newer car, the father went to work, the mother was a housewife who sent the kids [2 boys] off to school and fed them with freshly baked cookies when they returned. I don't remember what type of car they drove, but I think it was a mid sized Mopar.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 06:09 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj318 View Post
Wooooo, thats one property tax!

In a rural area around here you pay less than 1000 USD per year for a 9000sqft property with a 3000sqft house ....

Car taxes for the PT GT are 182 $/year

Guess we should not complain about taxes anymore

Stats:

- German avg. household income (src: statista.de)
- before tax (2017): 60100$
- after tax, social sec, etc. (2017): 45682$
nj318; thanks for the statics. I would like to know what the cost of medical insurance is over there. In the USA, in the northeast, the cost varies with age. My friend had a small business [5 employees] and with group insurance he paid $18,000 per year for himself and his wife. They were both over 60. With Obamacare the prices are better than the open market, but that depends on your income level.

After 66 years old, and retired, the cost is $1650 plus $2500 supplemental per year..
Old 14 Feb 2019, 07:11 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
For the young-uns: Leave it to Beaver was a semi humorous show about the lifestyle of a middle class family that lived in the suburbs around 1960 [?]. They lived in a nice house, had a new/newer car, the father went to work, the mother was a housewife who sent the kids [2 boys] off to school and fed them with freshly baked cookies when they returned. I don't remember what type of car they drove, but I think it was a mid sized Mopar.
From this website:

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/five-famous-tv-dad-cars

pt06 and nj318 like this.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 08:00 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
nj318; thanks for the statics. I would like to know what the cost of medical insurance is over there. In the USA, in the northeast, the cost varies with age. My friend had a small business [5 employees] and with group insurance he paid $18,000 per year for himself and his wife. They were both over 60. With Obamacare the prices are better than the open market, but that depends on your income level.

After 66 years old, and retired, the cost is $1650 plus $2500 supplemental per year..
As for Germany, it depends on different factors. We have a split system with a general insurance and a 'private' insurance.

The people with private health insurance (self-emplyed people, government officials, employees with a yearly income > 60750 €/year if they chose) have individual contracts with insurance companies, pretty much like the system in the US.

Here the costs are highly versatile and range from 1000-2000 €/year for a basic contract of a young and healthy person. The costs raise with age (or if you want more benefits) and can reach several thousands a year (some guy I know pays ober 15000 €/year!). Further, you have to have a single contract for each family member (esp. kids). There are lots of terms that might affect the costs, so its a highly complex topic.

The general insurance system is different. Here you HAVE to participate in if you are an employee. The insurance companies offer standardized benefits. Kids and stay-at-home spouses are automatically insured without affecting your rate The costs depend on your gross salary, and varies lightly from 15-16%. So as a simplified example: if you have a yearly gross income of 50k €, your yearly cost is 7500€. Since the cost is split between you and your employer, you pay half of that yourself (3750€).

If you're retired, the rate is 14,6%, where you pay 7,3% (that's the general case if you just get a pension from the country, for private pensions, you pay the full 14,6%). To keep it simple: get a yearly pension of 20000 €, your insurance is ~1460 €

If that seems complicated, we should foget about the other social insurance costs (pension, nursing insurance, unemployment insurance, etc...).

If you're interested in more detailed information, wikipedia gives an overview:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Germany

Last edited by nj318; 14 Feb 2019 at 08:12 am.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 08:43 am
Senior Cruiser

The devil is in the details. But overall, it sounds like your system is less costly than ours. Especially if you have a family.

Thanks for the answer. Minus 2 degrees C in northeastern USA this morning.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 09:11 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
The devil is in the details. But overall, it sounds like your system is less costly than ours. Especially if you have a family.
Indeed. But, nevertheless its a complicated system that wastes millions each year. It could be much more efficient.

Quote:
Thanks for the answer.
You're welcome.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 09:19 am
Senior Cruiser

Rick, thanks for the photo. When I was a young-un a relative had a 1959 red Fury with a red interior, a 'ram' engine [not the ram intake], a push button auto, and swivel seats. A neat car. Ward would be proud.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.