General News

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Apr 2019, 01:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: General News

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
40% of all of he February job growth in the USA was in the one state of California.

I have no wonder as to why my wise brother lives there.

A lot of folks forget that California is an agricultural powerhouse. I wonder if this is seasonal work or good permanent jobs. Might go either way. I've been reading that several large tech companies have moved back to California from overseas due to the new ability to move overseas profits home without being double taxed anymore.

For all it's problems, California is a wonderful place with some of the most beautiful country in the world. Mostly good folks too. Not what you usually see on the news. I'd love to drive up the Pacific coast in my PT convertible. That would be amazing just to see both the people and the country side.
Busted_PT likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 04 Apr 2019 at 01:58 pm.
Old 04 Apr 2019, 03:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post

For all it's problems, California is a wonderful place with some of the most beautiful country in the world. Mostly good folks too. Not what you usually see on the news. I'd love to drive up the Pacific coast in my PT convertible. That would be amazing just to see both the people and the country side.
I especially like the special motorcycle lanes they provide ...

between the cars. I ride the Harley down to Oakland every summer & even enjoy the bumper to bumper traffic.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

'02 base, 5 spd, HAHN turbo kit & some other stuff.
Old 06 Apr 2019, 04:13 am
Senior Cruiser

I'm happy for those who live in areas where their economy is doing well. Here in CT we are just trudging along. We have only recouped about 85% of the jobs we lost during the Great Recession. And the state is being strangled by its pension plan to state employees and teachers. 90 billion in debt and counting!

Yet the Boston area [~100 miles away] is doing quite well. Both commercial and residential property values have increased. So if your selling your home you'll make out well. If your buying or renting, you'll be in for a surprise. And because of the high rents, people are traveling further and further away from the city to live. Which in turn means more traffic on the highways, more worn out cars, and more banged up PT's.

What I've been seeing lately is a lot more part-time help than years ago, which brings up a question. If an employer loses or fires a full time employee, and replaces them with two part time employees, does that result in a gain of one job according to the national statistics?

With all the flooding going on in the country, I'd recommend not buying any used car that smells like perfume inside. Sometimes they put those stink bombs under the rugs to hide the mold smell.

Last edited by pt06; 06 Apr 2019 at 04:23 am.
Old 06 Apr 2019, 06:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post

What I've been seeing lately is a lot more part-time help than years ago, which brings up a question. If an employer loses or fires a full time employee, and replaces them with two part time employees, does that result in a gain of one job according to the national statistics?
Unfortunately, that is probably the case!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 06 Apr 2019, 06:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
..............And the state is being strangled by its pension plan to state employees and teachers. 90 billion in debt and counting!
Unfortunately, this is a problem for every state!
Fighting the big unions here.
Look at Chicago and Illinois as a state!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 15 Apr 2019, 12:18 am
Senior Cruiser

Just read that Diamler is being investigated for a new type of emissions cheating on some Mercedes cars [in Europe].

New England Motor Freight declared bankruptcy last month. This is the largest trucking company banlruptcy since 2002 [Consolidated Freightways]. They had 40 terminals from New England to the Midatlantic to the Midwest. The one and only terminal in CT has over a half a million square feet! What a place to store a bunch of PT's.

Scientists have taken a picture of a black hole this week. [Please exhibit a little self control].
rockandroller likes this.