PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
General News

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Dec 2018, 07:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Default General News

GM announced it is laying off thousands of workers, closing plants, and ending some models. Chrysler killed off the 200 and the Dart. This worries me, as they are depending on the high priced/high profit vehicles to sell well enough to keep the money flowing in. I'm smelling a recession coming on for the middle class. Stock market, GM, Sears, Verizon, etc. When people lose their jobs they usually end up with a lesser paying job, and then can only afford a lower priced car. Chrysler doesn't have much to offer right now. A practical PT Cruiser type car for say $20 to $25 thousand would be a good seller. [V-6, removable rear seats, 10% larger, 30 MPG]. Not everyone wants or can afford a $50,000 pick-up.
Old 25 Dec 2018, 12:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: General News

Everybody's having difficulty selling their smaller sedans. Forgetting how to build them is a mistake though. Won't be able to give away those thirsty vanitymobiles once gas cost more. It's happened before, it'll happen again. That's how Honda, Datsun and Toyota got a foot hold in the American market. My fathers Oldsmobile got 8 mpg when gas in todays money would easily be over $10 a gal.
Fk5 and Handy_Cruiser like this.
Old 25 Dec 2018, 01:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep. The stock market has been down evey since Democrats got the House back. And the tariffs aren't helping either. Both parties have blame for all this. Plus the Fed is putting out very worrisome indications. The economy has grown so much in the last two years that a correction had to occur at some point.

The good news is that job growth is continuing even though it's not in the automotive sector. Mini Cooper just announced that they are closing their dealership in Little Rock. They just sell Mini's and not BMW's. So their monthly quota was 24 Mini's. And Arkansas just isn't that into Mini's. An accountant that works for my wife just bought a brand new Mini convertible last year. They've already contacted him to say that his service area is now Memphis which is a two and a half hour drive. However, they did say they are planning to run a "flatbed services" for the free oil changes and warranty work. So he is supposed to call the Mini dealership in Memphis and they are supposed to send a truck all the way to Little Rock to pick up his Mini and carry it back to Memphis for oil changes and any warranty stuff. And then they bring it back, all for no charge. It will be interesting to see how that's going to work.
ptprice likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 25 Dec 2018 at 01:31 pm.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 05:18 am
Senior Cruiser

The wifey's old Olds 88 got about 15 mpg highway, maybe 10 around town. I had to work for 1 hour to buy 13 gallons of gas.

The chaos in the government, the trade wars, the tariff unknowns, and an unstable president [as believed by many] all contribute to uncertainty in the stock market. As well as the newly legislated mounting debt.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 05:29 am
Senior Cruiser

Just saw a bit of info about Formula E racing. Similar to Formula 1 cars but powered by batteries/electric motors only. Zero to 100 in 2.8 seconds! And they have a section of the track that charges the batteries a little as they drive over that section.

Harley is coming out with an electric/battery powered motorcycle maybe as soon as this fall. 150 mile range. Very fast.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 10:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

This shutdown has shown us how weak the "middle class" is. One month into it and folks are at the food pantry and wondering how to pay the rent. You would think that the FBI and NASA people would be making enough to be considered middle class. Even the Coast Guard is at the pantry. Instead of Middle class, high earners, and rich, it is more like us and them. I guess I didn't realize how bad off the economy is. A recession cometh?
Old 23 Jan 2019, 08:32 am
Veteran Cruiser

Man, there hasn't been a "middle class" in a LONG time. It's either those with money or those without money (me). But, as long as I have God in my life and serve Him, I've always had exactly what I need.
oldthom likes this.

Ignorance can be educated, crazy can be medicated, but there IS no cure for stupid.
Old 23 Jan 2019, 09:01 am
Regular Cruiser

Can't argue with you their Chuzz.
Old 23 Jan 2019, 10:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

According to the Pew Research Center, about half of American adults lived in middle-income households in 2016. In percentage terms, 52% of adults lived in middle-income households, 29% in lower-income households and 19% in upper-income households.

Size-adjusted household income and the cost of living in different areas are the factors used to determine an income tier for a specific area. But in general:

* Upper-income households had incomes greater than $135,600 (all figures computed for three-person households, adjusted for the cost of living in a metropolitan area, and expressed in 2016 dollars).

* Middle-income households – those with an income that is two-thirds to double the U.S. median household income – had incomes ranging from about $45,200 to $135,600 in 2016.

* Lower-income households had incomes less than $45,200.

According to the good folks at Pew, a family of 3 in Arkansas needs to make around $41,000 a years to be considered middle class. But in California up around Sacramento, it takes $47,000. It's MUCH higher than that in the larger California cities.

I believe one of the strongest factors in determining the strength of the middle class is home prices. Where I live in a suburban town outside of Little Rock, the average home price is $132,600. That's it. A 1,500 to 2,000 s.f. brick home less than 50 years old in a nice neighborhood is less than $140K. And the same home in the rural town where I grew up is under $100K.

But in a suburban town outside of Sacramento, the average home is $460,300. So how is someone with a lower middle class family income of around $47,000 going to afford that? And even if they made $100,000, what would happen if they miss a paycheck? But with a $132,600 home mortgage, the margins aren't near as close.

Just something to think about. Most goverment folks here work for the DOD which is fully funded. But my sister-in-law works for the Dept. of Agriculture which isn't. And she handles the farm loans and subsidies that other folks in my family need to run their farms. Most folks in this situation can handle missing one paycheck as long as there's a promise to get that money later. But missing two paychecks or going a month without your farm loan is when the pain is really going to start being felt here.

PS: One of the best stop-gap measures to cover Federal Workers would be to let them borrow against their TSP (federal IRA) accounts. This would provide most of them many months or more of income while folks in Washington try to sort all of this out. Additionally, the Fed could then pay them for the lost interest equal to that of the "G Fund" which is the safe-harbor fund. It's currently around 3% annually and that's more than most regular stock funds in the TSP are paying right now. So along with the back pay, it would make well over 99% of federal workers whole again once the goverment gets started back up and running on all cylinders.
ptprice likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 23 Jan 2019 at 10:50 am.
Old 23 Jan 2019, 11:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Are all the threads on our forum going to go into politic's......?

I think it is almost like talking about what oil to use in your PT Cruiser.... Lots of personal opinions, many facts are never really completely posted, and in the end its all what we personally believe!!

I really think someone should start a "GRIPE" thread where it would be more appropriate for all the Bull shit.
chuzz likes this.