Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > PT Cruiser Videos

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Flaming PTs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jun 2012, 12:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Flaming PTs

I usually search PT Cruiser videos on Youtube. In the last few weeks I found many videos about flaming PT Cruisers. I have been wondering a lot about the possible reason for these fire occurrences. I can see that the fire starts always in the engine room.

Does anyone know any information about the "week points" of the car ? Fuel system or electrical system?

Old 08 Jun 2012, 08:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Flaming PTs

3.5 million sold world wide! Some will catch fire some from friction of the payment book or from freak accidents. All makes of cars have burned a few! Chill.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Jun 2012, 10:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

yes it does happen btu not a lot there is a thread on what to look for under yopur hood

anytime you mic gas and cars it will happen had a work truck do that to me driving down the highway???
Old 08 Jun 2012, 01:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Here's one in JY because knucklehead didn't change oil, ran it after it threw a rod, crankcase oil got on Hot catcon,
combusted, and burnt car.

Cars use tar mats for sound deadening, so when they burn, they burn!

Acura- YouTube

Acura Integra On Fire - Nemuno

Acura RDX Car Fire - YouTube

Acura TL on fire. - YouTube

Old 08 Jun 2012, 03:03 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Go to ANY junk yard and you'll find bunches of burnt cars and last time I looked, they all weren't PT Cruisers, matter of fact I've never seen a burnt PT in a yard and I've been to most of them in the central part of Florida at one time or the other. As was said above, I doubt if there is a make, model out there that hasen't turned into a few "flame jobs".

You did get the thread title intimating that the PT was dangerous because of this though, so your thread wasn't a complete loss.

God, it's good to be back to my old self again!

Jerry
Old 08 Jun 2012, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the answers! I won't worry about this ..
Old 04 Aug 2015, 03:17 pm
Young Cruiser

This is an old thread but I thought I'd put in my two cents worth. Shortly after my Wife and I moved to Central Florida with our 2005 PT convertible we began to notice the odor of gasoline in the car sometimes. We finally took it to the dealer and found there had been a recall on the fuel line that had been routed in such a way that it vibrated against something under the hood and eventually wore thru. This might be the cause of many of those fires.I guess we missed the recall notice during the move to FL.
Old 04 Aug 2015, 03:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep. More to come.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 04 Aug 2015 at 03:58 pm.
Old 11 Aug 2015, 12:59 am
Cool Cruiser

A few years ago now I'd taken my wife down to Cleveland Tennessee to visit her sister. A few weeks later I went and got her again.

On the way home we saw on the south bound lane a small blue car on the side of the road. The hood was open and a plump little lady and a state patrolman were pulling her luggage out of the back hatch.

There was a small but steady stream of smoke coming out of the hood area. Before we got very close flames were starting to come out. By the time we got directly across the median from the car I could see it was a Prius and the front tires blew from all the heat.

About the time the fire trucks got to the burning car I think the batteries blew. I was looking in the rear view mirror and saw the car shoot up at least 12 feet in the air.

When it landed again there was a whole bunch of firefighters doing what they could to put foam on the flames.

When I was a volunteer firefighter in the small northwest Wisconsin town I grew up in we handled plenty of car fires. Unfortunately even if the car was burning right in town it still took time to get a fire truck and enough guys to man it that almost all of them were a total loss.

I guess that's why all my vehicles are equipped with an ABC dry chemical fire extinguisher now days.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.
Old 01 Sep 2015, 06:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
This is an old thread but I thought I'd put in my two cents worth. Shortly after my Wife and I moved to Central Florida with our 2005 PT convertible we began to notice the odor of gasoline in the car sometimes. We finally took it to the dealer and found there had been a recall on the fuel line that had been routed in such a way that it vibrated against something under the hood and eventually wore thru. This might be the cause of many of those fires.I guess we missed the recall notice during the move to FL.
Good thread to read....

Gasoline Smell coming in Heater Vents 2002 PT Limited
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.