2001 -->> 2006 What can/should I save?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By pegn
  • 1 Post By 03TXPTGT
  • 1 Post By LionPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2015, 08:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 -->> 2006 What can/should I save?

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser headed to the wreckers after the front wheel turning sideways at 60mph and the tow trucker operator and my mechanic both saying everything is too rusted to save, plus it's impossible to find used or new parts to fix. I trust the mechanic. After some thought I decided to get another PT Cruiser, found a 2006 in good shape. My thought was to save some parts before seeing the last of the 2001, but I think I bought one year too new.

Strut tower(?) -- can that be removed and reused on the 2006?
Hood struts for two torn rotator cuffs (me) -- will they fit the 2006?
Rear hatch struts?
Cabin filter box from 2001, just installed.
2001 just installed new radiator.

The current rims for my winter tires -- I've been paying for remounting twice a year, would be nice to have an extra set.

The seat belt extension does not work but I may not need it as 2006 belts may be comfortable with bad hip.

Anyone know if the OEM radio is interchangeable?

I visited some of the part supply sites to try to find the information but, orphan car. I still like them :-)

I'm in Bruce County, Ontario, so if anyone needs something from the 2001, other than the parts I can use, come get it this weekend. I can't work on cars anymore due to health reasons so it's all your labour and muscles and tools. Contact me. Will check for messages.
rob342 likes this.

Last edited by pegn; 21 Aug 2015 at 08:37 pm.
Old 21 Aug 2015, 09:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 -->> 2006 What can/should I save?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegn View Post
I have a 2001 PT Cruiser headed to the wreckers after the front wheel turning sideways at 60mph and the tow trucker operator and my mechanic both saying everything is too rusted to save, plus it's impossible to find used or new parts to fix. I trust the mechanic. After some thought I decided to get another PT Cruiser, found a 2006 in good shape. My thought was to save some parts before seeing the last of the 2001, but I think I bought one year too new.

Rear hatch struts?
Cabin filter box from 2001, just installed.

The current rims for my winter tires -- I've been paying for remounting twice a year, would be nice to have an extra set.

The seat belt extension does not work but I may not need it as 2006 belts may be comfortable with bad hip.

I visited some of the part supply sites to try to find the information but, orphan car. I still like them :-)

I'm in Bruce County, Ontario, so if anyone needs something from the 2001, other than the parts I can use, come get it this weekend. I can't work on cars anymore due to health reasons so it's all your labour and muscles and tools. Contact me. Will check for messages.
Radio-not interchangeable.

Hood struts should be able to be mounted.

Rims and tires should be a straight swap.

2001-05 are the same "generation. "

2006-10 are the 2nd "generation. "
pegn likes this.

-2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT
-Patriot Blue, Bright Silver Metallic rear spoiler, billet grille, 17" chrome wheels, hyperground cable, Spectre short ram CAI
-119,000 miles and counting ...
Old 21 Aug 2015, 09:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegn View Post

Rear hatch struts?
Cabin filter box
from 2001, just installed.

Rear hatch struts & cabin filter box will switch out fine.
pegn likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 21 Aug 2015, 11:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you both so much!!
Old 21 Aug 2015, 11:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Maybe you could find someone who is junking out a second generation but needs parts for a 1st generation and have several exchanges so you could have extra parts for your 2006 PT Cruiser.
Old 23 Aug 2015, 03:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

It would be nice to do the swap, unfortunately I didn't find anything today in mainline searches close to me. My mechanic has a wrecking yard on the same acreage, had hoped the 2001 would be there to be cannibalised as needed. My fault for not knowing first vs second generation. Live and learn. I had thought I could reprogramme the key fobs but apparently not.