Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By chuzz
  • 2 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Feb 2016, 07:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default crank no start

04 driving normal then won't start on cold morning, received 0522 code and changed oil pressure sending unit and oil. It always has a harder time in winter 124k. I had a mechanic come over he checked one cylinder and said it was ok but kinda low. He sprayed starting fluid into the throttle, no start. Two of the spark plugs were loose, I replaced them all and the coil. As well as the battery, the cables, cam sensor, and crank sensor. The fuses are good. It might be a bad electrical connection, but there's no codes, is that because I disconnected the battery? I do get engine and oil lights. The mechanic said he did 3 of these and thought the belt might of slipped. it sounded like he just wanted more work, said 850, but i'll do it, I have to do it soon anyway. I did a video, you can skip to the end to hear me turn it over, thanks for your help, Conrad https://youtu.be/1Iafhym00e8
Old 21 Feb 2016, 08:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: crank no start

Before we can start diagnosing the problem we need to know what year your PT Cruiser is.

Please stop throwing new parts at your PT Cruiser. Every time you replace something in your PT Cruiser you have the chance of having more problems than you started off with.
conrad and _PTGT03 like this.
Old 22 Feb 2016, 07:06 am
Veteran Cruiser

Is it possible the you got the cam and crank sensor plugs in the wrong place? This has been known to happen. But we really need to know what led up to replacing all of those parts to begin with. Did you just have a no start situation and start shotgunning parts at it?
conrad likes this.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 22 Feb 2016, 07:40 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Is it possible the you got the cam and crank sensor plugs in the wrong place? This has been known to happen. But we really need to know what led up to replacing all of those parts to begin with. Did you just have a no start situation and start shotgunning parts at it?
Not the Cam & Crank....but the Cam & Coil plugs are the same.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 22 Feb 2016, 06:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I threw parts at it thinking it might just work, I didn't know it could be bad. I didn't cross the wires. Today I unscrewed the psu just to make sure I didn't strip it in. It was fine, and I reinstalled it. Both times it hasn't screwed in flush. It sticks out about 1/8 an inch. I assume that's ok, it is very tight. The 522 flashed again. I watched a scotty kilmer vid, and he said it could be the oil pump. I've been led to believe if I do a valve pressure test, and they're inconsistent, it could be the timing? I don't know, is the next dreded step timing belt and oil pump change? Thanks so much guys for helping me out.
Old 22 Feb 2016, 07:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

Not that I know anything. This forum helped me. But.... Fuel compression spark.... Is what they say. But timing has to be on. Oil has to be relatively free of water engine has to spin over fast enough....blab bla...

I had my cam sensor and coil swapped myself, no start.

Pull off a spark plug wire stick a screw driver down it and ground the other end of screw driver to metal part on engine.. Have someone can engine over. Do you see a spark?..

Maybe your fuel pump went out?
Old 22 Feb 2016, 07:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Or water in the gas tank.
Old 22 Feb 2016, 08:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

P0522 - Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Conditions:

Possible Causes:

5v supply circuit is open or is shorted to ground
Oil pressure Sensor signal circuit is shorted to ground or to sensor ground
Oil pressure Sensor is damaged or has failed
PCM has failed

I would suggest checking the wiring going to the oil pressure sensor. Suggest repairing what is causing P0522 before doing anything else.
If the wires are good going to the oil pressure sensor I would suggest checking to see if you have oil going up the oil pressure sensor wire into the PCM plug shorting the sensor out.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 22 Feb 2016 at 08:46 pm.
Old 20 Sep 2016, 02:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Hmm, well yes an "issue" with the oil pressure sending unit will create a "no start" issue but since that was changed it "should no longer be the issue???" Still ... "crap happens" it could be a bad unit??

Could'nt hurt to review that part/process again, beyond that have a look here: