PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing belt tensioner install

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Mar 2016, 09:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing belt tensioner install

So I had another mechanic look at my crank no start 04 pt, One valve was only 30lbs but the others were good. He said it could be that the timing belt slipped, but maybe it needs some valve work. So I replaced the water pump and was ready for the new belt, when lo and behold I couldn't get the tensioner on right. I put the pin in the slot, but the tensioner gets stuck on the slot where the pin is. Check out my vid to get a good visual. Why is this happening? It just doesn't make sense. Thanks for any input, Conrad https://youtu.be/Q0lFnAS27kI

Last edited by conrad; 28 Mar 2016 at 11:01 am.
Old 28 Mar 2016, 08:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing belt tensioner install

The problem may be that you are trying to set the tension without the belt in place. The whole point is to set the tension against the belt. There are directions online on how to do this. And there should have been some that came with your tensioner. Also, assure you are using the new back plate that came with the new tensioner and not the old back plate. The new one may be different. Read this as a primer.

http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/3...-2-4-code.html

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Mar 2016 at 08:50 am.
Old 28 Mar 2016, 11:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

I couldn't get the belt on and got ahead of myself. I'm sure the tension will pull the tensioner down. thanks for your input
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 28 Mar 2016, 12:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad View Post
I couldn't get the belt on and got ahead of myself. I'm sure the tension will pull the tensioner down. thanks for your input
The pin should be inserted with the tensioner compressed, this is the old style used on early PT Cruisers. You pull the pin after the belt is installed to put tension on the belt.
If you already pulled the pin, the shaft must be pushed back into the cylinder slowly to avoid damaging it, then insert the pin to hold it.

I'd do another compression check, before you assemble, if one cylinder has 30 pounds again praying is not going to help. You have other issues.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 28 Mar 2016 at 12:28 pm.
Old 28 Mar 2016, 01:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for your response Joe. Did you see the video I made? The pin goes in the slot right? If I turn the allen wrench in the square it spins the inner part and sways as it turns around. I assumed it does that to get the belt on. The part I'm stuck on is getting the grooved part on the tensioner, lined up with the pin on the tensioner which I've placed between the mounting bracket tangs. When I bolt it in, the slotted metal on the tensioner is hitting the tangs. When I torque the square, it only makes the tensioner wobble a bit, so as to give room for the belt install. What makes, or how do I make the pin that's on the tensioner move? Also if I have to do valve work does the timing belt have to come off? Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it. Conrad
Old 28 Mar 2016, 02:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
The pin should be inserted with the tensioner compressed, this is the old style used on early PT Cruisers. You pull the pin after the belt is installed to put tension on the belt....
I believe the PT in question is a 2004 model with the later model tensioner that must be adjusted once on the engine. And that's what the video shows.

Let's not confuse this with the older style tensioner that came pre-loaded with a "grenade" style pull pin. That was on 2001 and 2002 PT's.
JoeX likes this.
Old 28 Mar 2016, 03:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I believe the PT in question is a 2004 model with the later model tensioner that must be adjusted once on the engine. And that's what the video shows.

Let's not confuse this with the older style tensioner that came pre-loaded with a "grenade" style pull pin. That was on 2001 and 2002 PT's.
I didn't watch the video first time around because it really sounded like the old tensioner, I was wrong.

The "pin" is the spring, and after assembly of the timing components, hand tighten the tensioner bolt , install the belt, (sometimes you do a little struggling to get the belt on , rotate the body of the tensioner with (the last one I did had a 1/4 square hole for a ratchet to rotate the body) until the "PIN" actually the spring arm is between the adjusting points then you tighten it, ( must be torqued to spec) The spring arm doesn't move, the offset tensioner body rotates to apply and maintain tension on the belt.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 04 Apr 2016 at 01:46 am.
Old 03 Apr 2016, 10:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I crank the tensioner, I can't get the old or the new belt on. There's about 3/4 to an inch, I'm pretty strong, there's no way it's going over the tensioner. I have to have something wrong. I was wondering about the 30lb's. The car just wouldn't start one kinda cold morning, there was never any indication that anything was wrong, no sounds, backfires, or smells. It was low on oil though, I didn't see anything on the stick, and the oil pressure sending light came on. I was told it could be a burnt valve, or a bent one. I'm enjoying the work, should I begin checking into those possibilities? When I did take off the timing cover I noticed everything was aligned and none of the teeth had been damaged. It looked really good, the belt was tight with no cracks. Do yall think I should put the new belt on and test it, or try to find out the reason for the 30lbs? thanks in advance Conrad
Old 03 Apr 2016, 10:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I'd leave the belt alone and try to find out why there's only 30 lbs on the one cylinder. Could be a broken valve, a spring, maybe some carbon holding it open, etc. Pull the cover and see if there's anything obvious staring at you. I DON'T think it's the timing, but I'm not a mechanic either. Just an old shade tree tinkering for 45 years.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 06 Apr 2016, 10:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks everyone, I took the head off, and poured water in the intake and exhaust, one of them is leaking. I finally found the reason for the crank almost start. Now I just have to have it rebuilt and put it all back together. It was my first real project, and was quite rewarding.

Tags
tensioner activation, tensioner stuck, timing belt tensioner