Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By jm4n69
  • 1 Post By jm4n69
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Dec 2017, 10:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Things I Do When I Get Bored...

I have a mirror-mounted Z-Edge dash cam with backup camera. I love it, it's caught more than a few interesting moments.

Problem is, I wired it to power up with the ACC - which is ideal *most* of the time. However, sometimes I just want to turn it off (say, I'm sitting in the car w/radio or heat on, talking on the phone or whatever). Also it occasionally needs to be power-cycled because it fails to initialize the rear camera or, more often, the rear cam is stuck on a frozen still image. Pulling the USB cable means re-adjusting the mirror etc...

Then there are times where I may wish to have it recording while I'm NOT in the car. From both cameras (which requires USB power).

So... I decided to wire up an ON/OFF/ON toggle. Couldn't find one in the form of a rocker-style switch with separately-wired LED (since I'm technically using it "backwards" - center feeds the load, the two "ON" sides are fed by ACC and B+)...

Anyway I made a video out of the still pictures I took along the way, figured this is the place to post it. Worth noting the background music is my own creation, no copyright issues there.

Old 06 Dec 2017, 03:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Things I Do When I Get Bored...

Very cool.

I'm about to wire up a very similar switch for my power antenna. And I found your video very useful. I plan to use one of these rocker switches. The LED is on the rocker but has a separate feed so it can be wired to the dash lights to illuminate the switch location.

What software did you use to make that music? I like it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AntennaToggle1.jpg (44.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 06 Dec 2017, 04:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I used Sony Acid to make the music, I have several loops/beats I use for videos where I don't feel like narrating Keeps the YouTube police off my back making my own...

I couldn't find a rocker that had both ON/OFF/ON positions *and* a separate LED wiring for both hot and ground. Normally you would supply power to the center leg, which would cause the LED to switch on when the switch is on. I did mine backwards, feeding the two positions with power (accessory and B+) and used the center to feed the load (which is a USB charger shoved in the dash lol), so just having a ground lead for the light wouldn't work.

So I just drilled a tiny hole for a separate LED and it doesn't look bad... more importantly it works perfectly I can never leave well enough alone...
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 06 Dec 2017, 04:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm4n69 View Post

So I just drilled a tiny hole for a separate LED and it doesn't look bad... more importantly it works perfectly I can never leave well enough alone...
I have used K-4 for years and generally will always find what I need but like you I have had to run a separate LED light at times. On the PT Cruiser I have a red LED mounted in the upper gauge cover that lights when the radiator fan is activated either by the PCM or manual switching it on. I have it on the power side of the fan lead so that if the relay or fuse fails the light will not activate.

I even have a few of those "fat" round switches like the other guy is using for his project.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171206_133226_resize.jpg (43.7 KB, 21 views)
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 06 Dec 2017, 08:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The idea just popped in my head yesterday, so I had only the selection of switches on the rack at O'Reily's

So NitroPT - is that a model PT in that bin? Love it!