• 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By sanatanadharma
  • 2 Post By LionPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Dec 2015, 08:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default ECU

HI ALL
I HAVE A pt cruiser limited edition 2003 and last month i changed the multifuncional switch but since than indicators stoped working i have send it to the mecanic and he changed the switch and the 20 pin plug that it goes on the swich but now indicators and the lights dont work he told me that the ecu needs reprograming and only the dealer can do that, im not sure what to do as i cant even drive it anywhare without indicators and lights
Can somebody help me please
Old 09 Dec 2015, 09:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: ECU

Okay,

Let's first review what's been said:

* 2003 PT Limited
* Owner changed out multi-function switch (MFS) one month ago.
* After changing MFS, indicators (turn light indicators on dash?) stopped working.
* Took PT to mechanic. Mechanic changed out MFS (again?) along with the 20 pin plug.
* Since work by mechanic, indicators do no work nor to the lights.
* Mechanic says it's PCM and mechanic says PCM can only be reprogrammed by dealer.

First, why did you initially change the MFS? What was initially wrong before you started working on the PT?

Next, from you description, the mechanic may have only made things worse. And the turn indicators and headlights are not controlled by the PCM in a 2003 PT. Plus, it's cheaper to replace a faulty PCM from an online source than have it checked at dealership in most cases. But a bad PCM may not be your issue at all. From what you have reported (if I understand it right), the initial issue may have just been burnt out turn indicator bulbs. The only advice I can give at this time is find a another mechanic that knows more about PT Cruisers.

Beyond this, we will need more information to help you. If you are really good at modern car wiring, we might eventually put you on to some ideas. If you are not good with this type of thing, seriously consider a better mechanic. It's often hard to diagnose an issue sight unseen when someone else may have first made conditions worse.
Probedude and flamur like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 09 Dec 2015 at 09:54 am.
Old 09 Dec 2015, 10:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamur View Post
HI ALL
I HAVE A pt cruiser limited edition 2003 and last month i changed the multifuncional switch but since than indicators stoped working i have send it to the mecanic and he changed the switch and the 20 pin plug that it goes on the swich but now indicators and the lights dont work he told me that the ecu needs reprograming and only the dealer can do that, im not sure what to do as i cant even drive it anywhare without indicators and lights
Can somebody help me please
When you say the lights don't work are you saying the headlights are not working?

If the headlights are not working check fuse #1,2,3 on both ends of the fuses in the fuse block under the dashboard. If all three fuses are good then you need to check and see if you have power going to the multi-switch. Post what you find.

Is your hazards lights still working?
Old 09 Dec 2015, 10:51 am
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 10 Nov 2016 at 06:38 pm.
Old 13 Dec 2015, 12:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Okay,

Let's first review what's been said:

* 2003 PT Limited
* Owner changed out multi-function switch (MFS) one month ago.
* After changing MFS, indicators (turn light indicators on dash?) stopped working.
* Took PT to mechanic. Mechanic changed out MFS (again?) along with the 20 pin plug.
* Since work by mechanic, indicators do no work nor to the lights.
* Mechanic says it's PCM and mechanic says PCM can only be reprogrammed by dealer.

First, why did you initially change the MFS? What was initially wrong before you started working on the PT?

Next, from you description, the mechanic may have only made things worse. And the turn indicators and headlights are not controlled by the PCM in a 2003 PT. Plus, it's cheaper to replace a faulty PCM from an online source than have it checked at dealership in most cases. But a bad PCM may not be your issue at all. From what you have reported (if I understand it right), the initial issue may have just been burnt out turn indicator bulbs. The only advice I can give at this time is find a another mechanic that knows more about PT Cruisers.

Beyond this, we will need more information to help you. If you are really good at modern car wiring, we might eventually put you on to some ideas. If you are not good with this type of thing, seriously consider a better mechanic. It's often hard to diagnose an issue sight unseen when someone else may have first made conditions worse.
Thanks again, today i checked all the fuses and found one that was bad i replaced it and now the lights are working but still the indicators are not working.
The whole problem started with fog lights turnig on whille the car was turned off
im not sure why the indicators stoped working they where fine and can it be posible that all the 4 indicator lights to be bad?
Thanks
Old 13 Dec 2015, 12:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
When you say the lights don't work are you saying the headlights are not working?

If the headlights are not working check fuse #1,2,3 on both ends of the fuses in the fuse block under the dashboard. If all three fuses are good then you need to check and see if you have power going to the multi-switch. Post what you find.

Is your hazards lights still working?
No still dont work
thank
Old 13 Dec 2015, 12:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Your year PT has a replaceable blinker relay...pull the steering over off & make sure it's plugged in all the way or just replace it. (the black square)

Handy_Cruiser and flamur like this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 14 Dec 2015, 07:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have changed the relay allready but indicators still dont work!