PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Rear end rattling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Dec 2005, 06:51 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Rear end rattling

Ok, is it just me, or does anyone else's cruiser rattle really bad in the back with subs? I'm not sure if it's my jack or what, but especially on cold mornings it sounds like the passenger side of the hatch is just gonna fall off the car.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 04:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Check the jack in the "cubby" - I wrapped mine in an old towel that'll be handy for wiping hands if I get a flat. Also, be sure sway bar didn't break - several have, and it'll thump.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Dec 2005, 06:18 am
Senior Cruiser

will check mine asap mine has been rattling for 3 mo now and I cant find it but maybe it might be jack!![?]
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 05:01 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the response. I'll have to check cause it's driving me nuts!

Old 13 Dec 2005, 06:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

no rattles in my trunk, but how to keep the roof from rippling with 4- 12;s in the rear is my question? i have shook off rear mirror a dozen times and the rear window seal is poppin out.. i guess thats what i get for going to that extreme
03, onyx 5 speed, custom interior, 14 tv\'s, ps2, , custom stereo, hood, bruiser front, sides, roll pan, custom exhaust,20 inch rims, air ride system, 4 12inch subs in a molded in a box, member of del val and GROUNDED 4 LIFE. vertical doors, big ass ragtop roof, 10.5 inch screen in steering wheel, move window switches to glove box, glassed a tv where the switches were, smoothed dash and painted, led tailights, tv;s in quater panel windows

FRESH TWO TONE GREEN AND SILVER , SHAVED TAILIGHTS WITH LEDS IN THE ROLL PAN...
Old 14 Dec 2005, 01:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

Here is what I had to do to stop the rattle.

1) check the license plate frame (if added)
2) open the hatch and look at the panel on the hatch. Tap it with the palm of your hand and you can hear the plastic hitting the metal. If you can, it may be causing SOME of the rattle.
3) Another test to find out the source is have it bumping, then open the hatch lock but don't pull it open, it might be rattling because of the connectivity between the metal latch and the bar it latches to (black bar on bottom).
4) Check the plastic where the jack is (the plastic door), make sure it's tight. If it isn't (again I had vibration causing it to buzz) you can get some really thin electric tape (kinda messy and doesn't hold) or use some other type of 3m one sided tape (thin).
5) Usually it's not a problem, but check like others said for any loose external body parts. Also check the fuel door (longshot).

6) If you still can't find it, check where the rear 2 speaker pillars are at to make sure the pillars aren't rattling, check around the hatch door panels while bumpin and listen for it.

What kinda sound is it?
Old 15 Dec 2005, 02:11 pm
Young Cruiser

To me it sounds like an interior panel piece going nuts. I had one clip in one of the side up near the back seats that some how got bent like crazy and I couldn't bend it back to put in, so I thought it was probably that knocking around, but its just the same after I took it out. It could be that panel knocking without that clip, but I seriously doubt it because the rattling is coming from much further back in the car only on the passenger side (clip was on the same side though). I though about doing dynamat, but right now, its just not worth the money.

Old 15 Dec 2005, 07:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Go to your friendly body shop and get a new clip, they run less than a dollar, much cheaper than you can get one at the dealer.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 07:35 pm
Young Cruiser

Well, I messed around a bit and got rid of most of the rattling (I just had too much stuff back there with the jack, cover, the side pocket cover and some stuff in there). There is still some slight rattling going on, but I think I can live with it. The rest of what I was hearing was just the distortion of my subs. I guess you get what you pay for. Next time I'll get something a little higher quality and spend some extra time on my box. Oh well.

Old 16 Dec 2005, 02:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to vertigo

don't forget there's stuff in the hatch that could rattle. connections between the latch and the handle and such.

COMING SOON:
Profile AP2000 pushing 4 Infinity Reference 12\'s,
2 Profile AP400\'s pushing mids, highs.