PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear Hatch Opener Install ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Feb 2006, 04:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rear Hatch Opener Install ?

Hi guys,
I'm looking for experiences with installing rear hatch poppers, latch actuator, and lock/unlock actuator.

First, The PT's a barebones base model so I had to install an aftermarket remote opener system. I've already installed the system to the front doors, lock/unlock confirm chirper, & parking lamps.

Soon I'll continue the installation to include the two rear doors, and then to the rear hatch. The rear door should be similliar to the fronts with the wire routing and actuator installation, so I'll consider myself experienced there.

The rear hatch is another story. A normal install wouldn't include a lock/unlock actuator but I think that would be an asset, so I'm running wires for that too. The kit for the rear hatch has several components, some may be considered optional.
- Latch Solenoid (trunk release solenoid)
- Trunk Pop Springs, two
- 30/40amp Relay
- Manual release button and bracket

I'm very concerned about these 'Trunk Pop Springs'. They don't come with instructions but it sure looks like they need a 1/2" or so hole in the body or the PT [:I] Has anyone done or seen this?

It looks like this manual release button could be optional, I'll have to ask my wife if she wants it installed somewhere, can't imagine where [:I]

Here's the Trunk release solenoid. The instructions say mount it anywhere it fits tight, and within it's cable reach of the latch assembly.

The solenoid cable attachs to this wire looking doohicky, which somehow connects to the latch

Free Image Hosting
http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/free_image_hosting.aspx
Free Image Hosting
Old 24 Feb 2006, 12:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

There are two operations you are looking at. First is power lock/unlock, second is remote latch release. When the hatch is opened, it always pops open a bit anyway. Also, unless you are shaving the handle, you should still be able to open it. The reason for the poppers is to allow doors without handles to open enough to grab the edge to open. If you are shaving the handle (removing it and bodyworking the hatch for a smooth look), you won't have anywhere to grab and lift the hatch. The poppers do need holes drilled, and must open the hatch enough to grab and open. Another way would be to add electric openers, like the new Caravans. A manual button (really a hard-wired electric switch) can be hidden under the bumper, but allows anyone access. This is only used if there are no locks or handles on the outside.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper