Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replaced the whole stereo system added a subwoofer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Mar 2006, 09:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Replaced the whole stereo system added a subwoofer

OK I replaced everything there is in the PT cruiser I also added a Kenwood mini subwoofer here are the parts

Radio: Dual XDMR7700 $180

It's a CD, WMA and MP3 player it has an I-Pod thingy and XM radio. The face is detactable. Also it's mechanically power sliding. The brands not famous and the quality isn't all top material made but compare to the plastic of the PT interior trim it's feels like the most expansive part of the car. It sound a little better than the OEM radio. not too much but enough for me to notice. You can hear more small details. I test it before I install the new tweeters.

Tweeters Blaupunkt PCxb352 3-1/2" 2-way $30

They're the same diameter as the OEM tweeters but they're alot taller in depth. The OEM tweeter are ther cheap digital no cone typ flat speakers. Eventhough they're the same size I had to cut the dash to make them fit into the hold. They are optional replacement I honestly think you can keep the stock tweeters and still be happy with the sound quality. The reason is that my new tweeters are over shadowing my door speakers. You will feel most of the sharper sound coming from the dash and some people won't like this I'm sure of it. Also. This one has it's own small tweeters so you can hear every small details and static. If your reception from the readio get any less than perfect you will for sure hear it.

Door Speakers: Sony XS-GF1630 3 WAY 6 1/2 $40

They are smaller than the stock opening so I have to use a bracket. You will loss some bass and mid from the OEM if you get these. They are made very flat in depth so they will fit. The down side would be a loss of power in almost every range beside having 3-ways. I would not recommand anyone getting these but they fit. Not many speaker can fit in the opening of our car with such a small depth.

Rear speakers: Sony XS-V680HP 6"x8" 2-way $40

OK they fit perfectly yes a 6x8 will FIT!......I ended up with this pair because the seller made a mistake packing. I listen to you guys and bought a 5x7 but they sent me a 6x8 and it fit perfectly....they sound OK.

Subwoofer: Kenwood KSC-SW1 $160

This is not a load unit. It's nothing like a 12" It won't shake anything but it'll add some bass. It feel like pretend bass than real bass. Very easy install. Thats about it

around $500 total spent and free labor since I did install them myself. Is it work it? will I do it again if I have the choice? Probably NOT worth it. The OEM system sound about the same. If the stock unit have the MP3 playing capacity than I would stick with the stock unit. I use to listen to MP3 with a MP3-line-tape to tape deck and the songs sounded about the same. I just feel that the sounds are a little crisper. I also feel that the placement and location of these speakers are not in the right place. I never like anything on the dash to be honest.

Result: with $500 and some hard work it still not as good as a stock OEM bose system on an Audi A6. Nothing beats the stock bose system on a Audi A6 wagon. That system make any music sound tat much better and the bass on that thing is just PERFECT. If you don't believe me bring your favoite CD with you and play it in one of those if you have the chance.

I think my reason for doing this is that I intend to keep my car for atleast another year or 2

[:I][:I]
Old 28 Mar 2006, 12:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Carchrism5

congrats on the new setup, did you install all of it already? if so how did you cut out for the tweeters?
Old 28 Mar 2006, 01:38 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carchrism5

congrats on the new setup, did you install all of it already? if so how did you cut out for the tweeters?
Yes I did. It took me around 7-8 hours total. I took my time. One thing I want to warn you is that you may not want to replace the dash tweeters. The Tre-sounds thats coming out of the new tweeters mask the door speaker. I'm not sure if they draw power from those door speakers too. I swear that after installing the tweeters the door speakers sound weaker. They are from the same line. The upside is that you will hear small detail or crisper sharp sounds going going left and right. However still I rather have those sound coming from the door speakers that those tweeters.

I started with a saw to cut open the opening and I find it takes aout of effort. I ended up using a drill with a small wood drill bit. If u have a good drill bit it works like a saw if u press it really hard in the right direction. The finish work looks messy but no one can see it when I put the cover back on
Old 28 Mar 2006, 06:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

congrats !! it must sound great!!
Old 29 Mar 2006, 03:12 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ctown

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carchrism5

Yes I did. It took me around 7-8 hours total. I took my time. One thing I want to warn you is that you may not want to replace the dash tweeters. The Tre-sounds thats coming out of the new tweeters mask the door speaker. I'm not sure if they draw power from those door speakers too. I swear that after installing the tweeters the door speakers sound weaker. They are from the same line. The upside is that you will hear small detail or crisper sharp sounds going going left and right. However still I rather have those sound coming from the door speakers that those tweeters.

I started with a saw to cut open the opening and I find it takes aout of effort. I ended up using a drill with a small wood drill bit. If u have a good drill bit it works like a saw if u press it really hard in the right direction. The finish work looks messy but no one can see it when I put the cover back on
Old 30 Mar 2006, 03:25 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobs turbo pt

congrats !! it must sound great!!
after a few days of listening to this set up I'm happy
Old 31 Mar 2006, 06:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

When you replace decent audio with crap, you probably aren't going to notice a difference. Dual is crap, Sony speakers are good paper weights, and the Kenwood sub setup may have been the best part of the install (still not worth it though). Had you not installed that hideous head unit you may have been able to get some better speakers and a decent sub.
Old 01 Apr 2006, 10:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CHROMEDCRUISER

When you replace decent audio with crap, you probably aren't going to notice a difference. Dual is crap, Sony speakers are good paper weights, and the Kenwood sub setup may have been the best part of the install (still not worth it though). Had you not installed that hideous head unit you may have been able to get some better speakers and a decent sub.
Yea maybe. The damn thing skip alot when I play MP3. Anyway. I agree that sony speaker aint the best but I haven't try other.

I'm happy with the set up though. The only thing I"m not happy with is the car. I had it in the shop for these few days and got a honda van from my boss for the time being and the OEM handling, sound system and everything is WAY better than the PT...O well