Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
JC Whitney power antenna black finish question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jun 2006, 04:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default JC Whitney power antenna black finish question

Does anyone here have one of the black JC Whitney power antennas?

I was curious to see if the black annodized finish is holding up, or is the black wearing off from operation.

I'm looking for a power antenna, but I can't find any of the Daimler import ones, so I'm looking aftermarket.

Thanks for any help.

Old 16 Jun 2006, 01:39 am
Regular Cruiser

I installed, a $40.00 power antenna, from the local auto parts store, a couple month's after, I bought my Cruiser. Wayback in 2001.
At the time, I was not aware, that Chrysler was putting them in the Euporean Cruiser's... I found out they were avaiable, about a year after I had installed my El'cheapo antenna. It has held up very well on an every day driver....
My only caution to you, would be... Set aside lots of time, to do this install. A JC Whitney power antenna, is most likely, not going to ba a simple bolt in job.
The install, on my power antenna, took close to 8 hours, for me, it was worth it, to eliminate the antenna sticking up out of the front fender.... Just be aware, this is not a simple project to take on!!
[8)] [8)]
Old 21 Jun 2006, 11:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I cannot recall being pleased with the quality of stuff from JC Whitney, which is why I don't even look there any more.
Check with auto stores - you can see what you're getting.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 21 Jun 2006, 09:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have tried to locate one of the DC OEM import power antennas to no avail. I had someone check with a DC dealer in Great Britain and they said they never heard of a power antenna for the PT.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 08:11 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

I cannot recall being pleased with the quality of stuff from JC Whitney, which is why I don't even look there any more.
Check with auto stores - you can see what you're getting.
The JCW catalog used to be my go-to source for inexpensive parts. They had a huge inventory and good prices.
This was more useful back in the days before discount auto parts chains started spreading, but even Pep Boys, etc. don't stock as many rare repair parts for older cars.
JCW sometimes is the last chance for an alternative to having to order a factory part at dealer prices.

The quality of some of their stuff can be pretty low, but if you are just trying to keep an older car running a few more years, it will often do the job.

Sure, they ain't the place to go for high-end electronics, serious high performance or show car supplies, but if you are on a tight budget, it beats walking.

Besides, who else has bigger collection of tacky hood ornaments?
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...D:100000168473

To your point: It is a lot of work to modify and install the jcw part;
http://www.carnut.com/iown/_antm.html

There WAS a Japanese Market Genuine DC power antenna, but its going to be tough to find.
Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com